Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 - "Not Responding"

FTM 2012 - "Not Responding"

Posted: 15 Jul 2012 8:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
An acquantence upgraded to FTM 2012 by download from FTM Website in June. The Laptop is Win 7, with all MS updates. She has been having trouble seeing a reoccuring "not responding" error when entering or editing facts or events in FTm 2012. Sync is set to Manual, files have been repeately compacted, nothing seems to help.

Searching these boards seem to show that the .580 patch fixed this error for the most part, as I am not finding any current ones. Her version of FTM2012 had been updated to .580, but the problem persists.

Is anyone else seeing this issue on .580?

Re: FTM 2012 - "Not Responding"

Posted: 15 Jul 2012 8:58PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2012 12:02AM GMT
"Not Responding" often means FTM is processing data and can't yet refresh the screen.

This is particularly true at the Family Tab, where the Index is, when options like "use married" names, or "use aka as separate item in the index" are selected.

These options are at Options > Tools > Names tab, lower left.

There might be other options that are slowing down processing so that FTM is unable to refresh the screen.

At the same screen, does she have the setting checked for FTM to continuously check the internet? I have never checked that box, so don't know how that would slow things down.

Posted: 15 Jul 2012 9:28PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. I'll have her check.

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 2:31AM GMT
So, since I only got one response and that was from one who did not have the issue...

That must mean that this "Not Responding" hanging is a non issue for most folks.

Does this prove a negative? HA

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 3:55AM GMT
I get "not responding" but generally during Publish and sometimes during Backup. I have "Search online automatically" turned off and in the Name options I only have "Use AKA after middle name". The other 3 options are turned off. In particular, turning off the online automatic search mad a big difference.

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 2:12PM GMT
I get the NOT RESPONDING message all the time. FTM 2012 is a dreadful product. The occurrence of NOT RESPONDING can be at any point in entering data or moving from one individual to another. There is no rhyme nor reason for it. I've tried being connected and not connected to the internet to no avail.

When you add in the length of time it takes to merge ANY details in from the internet - this software becomes almost unusable.

I've worked in IT for a considerable number of years and I would be ashamed to have my name associated with a product that was so user-unfriendly as this.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what software I could switch to? I'm not bothered if it doesn't link to Ancestry as there are many alternatives to that's ervice also these days.

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 4:25PM GMT
FTM 2010 or 2009 are much faster. The slow issues that started with the 2008 version came back in 2011 and 2012.

TMG (The Master Genealogist) is a much faster program and can hold large datasets but is more complicated.

Regards,

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 4:58PM GMT
"Anyone got any suggestions as to what software I could switch to? I'm not bothered if it doesn't link to Ancestry as there are many alternatives to that's ervice also these days."

Some of the people in my genealogy society use a program called Legacy. They have a free version. I've never tried it so can't say how well it works. The person who leads our Legacy user group likes it a lot. I think this will get you there http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/

Barbara

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 10:18PM GMT
Mine is hung up more than it is working..
and this is the 3rd edition of FTM I have had.
Never had problems with any of them including 2012, until the last 6 months..
Even bought a new computer and nothing helped.
Frustration

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 10:17PM GMT
Same here, bought a new computer thinking that I needed more RAM and faster processor to resolve the problem -- no such luck. In fact it hangs up worse on the new machine than it did on the old one.

Now FTM2012 shuts itself down so frequently that I can't use the sync feature at all because it looses the link and I have to re-download from Ancestry. The last time, I lost almost 10 hours worth of work that I did in FTM to clean up locations and sources.

I finally had to go back to working exclusively from the Ancestry.com site and will have to wait until they fix the issues with FTM.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic