Search for content in message boards

Duplicate entries.

Duplicate entries.

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 4:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jul 2012 5:41PM GMT
I have suddenly encountered a new problem with FTM. If I enter a new person as, say a father, it also appears in another part of the tree as a duplicate entry as the father of some-one not related in the slightest. If I delete the second one it also deletes the original.
I have never met this before in many years of using this program. Any clues anyone please?
I am using FTM 2010.

Re: Duplicate entries.

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 8:16PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2012 8:17PM GMT

It is very likely you are looking at a report and seeing this person in more than one place. This is usually caused by cousin marriages tieing people together. FTM does not / will not remove duplicated lines or branches due to cousin marriages - an oft requested enhancement.

1) How many times is the name in your index? That is the number of times in your database.

2) Select the person, go to Menu > Person > Attach/Detach > Detach. Is there anything funny or strange about the families he is listed in?? Detach any incorrect families he may be in.

3) Go to Menu > Tools > Options and select the relationship of that person to be shown to someone else (maybe you?). The total number of relationships should show above the little arrow button. Click on the arrow button to see the various relationships and select one to see in the box the marriages or parents / children that relate these two people. Review these links to see if anything is wrong.

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 10:10PM GMT
Many thanks for the reply.
I detatched the offending names (man and wife) and they then vanished alond with their 10 or so ancestors from where I had detatched them but also from the correct entry. (where they should be). Whatever I do to one set happens to the other. If I re-enter a name it appears in both places again.
Would setting fire to the computer help?

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 10:20PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2012 10:20PM GMT
Forgive me if this is a dumb question. Are they in the index? Have you removed all filters from the index and sorted them by last name?

If they were detached and not deleted they would still be in the index.

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 10:52PM GMT

Let's see if I understand:

You said: "If I re-enter a name it appears in both places again."

Does that mean: You have the name in your file twice and it appears in your index twice?

Or, does it mean: You have the name in your file once (in the index once) and it appears in some report twice?

I am pretty sure you have a cousin marriage that is causing your situation - and FTM is operating as it is designed. FTM does not remove duplicate branches from cousin marriages in a descendant chart or report.

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 11:06PM GMT
"Would setting fire to the computer help?"

For some things, that is absolutely the only effective solution - but I don't think you're there quite yet.

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 6:26AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2012 6:27AM GMT
OK - don't ask me how or why but at the moment I seem to have solved the problem of duplication in the tree (and index) itself. Thank you Mr Silverfox3280. I removed the person who had the incorrect (duplicate) entries as parents and all would appear to be well.
Many thanks all. I will pick my ancestors more carefully in the future.

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 10:32AM GMT
Glad to hear it.

Remember that you only need enter a person once in the FTM database. Each person should only appear once in your index unless you have checked the box "Include AKA name as an additional index entry" at Menu > Tools > Options > Names tab.

After that, the game is simply attaching and detaching.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions