I am searching for my paternal line in East Bohemia. Here is what I have:

Frantisek Vanek
b: 04 Dec 1841 in Velká Skrovnice, Pardubice Region, Bohemia
d: 12 Aug 1905 in Saline County, Nebraska, USA

married abt 1869 in (East) Bohemia:

Mary Kroulik
b: Jun or Jul 1847 in Vysoké Mýto, Pardubice Region, Bohemia
d: 27 Jan 1911 in Saline County, Nebraska, USA

I initially had neither exact dates nor locations (other than simply "Bohemia") for Frantisek "Frank" Vanek and Mary Kroulik. I only had estimated dates from later US census records. Someone on Ancestry.com seems to have found the exact dates and locations listed above... but I have been unable to track down who in order to find the original sources. However, with what I know about the birth location of their son Joseph, this all makes very good sense. And the dates match the census estimates.

Before immigrating Frantisek and Mary had three sons:

1. Joseph J. Vanek (my gg-grandfather)
b: 02 Dec 1869 in Orlov (I believe this is now a merged town called Vračovice-Orlov) in the Pardubice Region. His death record says he was born in "Orlove, Bohemia."
d: 28 Nov 1932 in Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska, USA, though he spent most of his life in Nuckolls and Saline Counties in Nebraska.

2. Frank (Frantisek?) J. Vanek
b: 31 May 1871 in (Bohemia--I do not have a record which lists any specific place)
d: 17 Dec 1936 in Lancaster County, Nebraska, USA.

3. James Vanek
b: 31 May 1874 in (Bohemia)
d: ?? in Nebraska?
He is listed on the 1885 Nebraska state census, then disappears.

Most census records agree that the family immigrated to the United States in 1883 (one record says '84). I have been unable to find any ship manifests or immigration records that clearly match this family. The only record that partially matches is as follows:
10 Oct 1883 arrival in Baltimore aboard "America." Franz, Josef, & Wenzel (is this James?) Vanek, are all the right ages; but there no young Frank listed and Franz's wife's name is Anna instead of Mary (she is the right age though).

I do have at least one other instance in my Bohemian ancestry where someone named Vaclav/Wenzel took the name "James" in America, so that might apply to this arrival record as well.

Any help confirming the information above and/or identifying Frantisek Vanek and Mary Kroulik's parents and siblings would be very much appreciated!

Re: Vanek ancestry in East Bohemia

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 3:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
My gg grandmother Aneska was a Vanek. Married to John Zaloudek. Immigrated to USA in 1866 and settled in E. Saginaw, MI. Aneska's mother's name was Marie. Aneska b. 15 Nov 1844 Teresove Bohemia.

Any of your family settle in E. Saginaw?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic