Search for content in message boards

John Hall CHAPMAN b.1815, Lycoming PA

John Hall CHAPMAN b.1815, Lycoming PA

Posted: 28 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Dec 2001 4:29AM GMT
Surnames: CHAPMAN
I am looking for any information on my ggg grandfather, John Hall Chapman. He was born in Lycoming County PA, May 25, 1815. I do not know the names of his parents, siblings, etc. The only info I do have for that time period is the area and date. Is there anyone out there who may have come across any info on him and might be willing to share? I have some information after he was married in Ohio in 1839. Possibly his mother might be a HALL, as his middle name was HALL. Thank you for any info!

Re: John Hall CHAPMAN b.1815, Lycoming PA

Posted: 25 Oct 2001 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: CHAPMAN SKINNER WALTHERS WALTERS CRAWFORD KLINGENSMITH SMITH
First off, I am looking for parents for a CHAPMAN; more later. Speculations; finds at this site:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p... ... George Chapman (b. Ca. 1754 in Scotland, d 1833 Lycoming Co., PA)and his wife Maria Ann Hall (b Ca. 1760 Lycoming Co..) He was a soldier in Rev. War and was wounded at the Battle of Brandywine. Their daughter Elizabeth Chapman married Henry (Heinrich) Billman in 1820. Maria Ann Hall may also have been known as Polly and her parents could have been Richard Hall and Sara Ann Burrows (Burroughs)...

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p...
... John Hall Chapman. He was born in Lycoming County PA, May 25, 1815 ... some information after he was married in Ohio in 1839.

Those may help answer your questions; on to mine. You wrote "after he was married in Ohio in 1839. Possibly his mother might be a HALL, as his middle name was HALL."

My grandfather, using the name Allan Burton CHAPMAN gives the birthdate Nov. 8, but variously 1864, '65, and '66. 99.9% of the time he states born OH and both parents born OH. Earliest records found are 1879-1882 enrollment at Western Reserve Academy, Hudson OH. 1880 census showed him boarding with a SPRING/WARRINER household, as students did. He married Jan 1887 Rosa L SKINNER, brought her back to Canton Stark Co OH. He never ever, 3 wives and families until death in 1934, spoke of family other than to state father's name was John.

Basically all I can add to that early history is that someone could afford to pay his books, tuition, room and board. Lastly, that his blood type was AB, a new finding near the time of his death. Have to even wonder sometimes if he wasn't someone's War Baby or other indiscretion. Can you place A B Chapman in yours anywhere? Married, OH, after 1839, who, where ... ?

Posted: 28 Nov 2001 4:21AM GMT
Edited: 26 Dec 2001 4:29AM GMT
K. Powell,

read your message. I don't think I can place your grandfather anywhere in my family. My John Chapman married in Columbiana County Ohio and had 4 children there, then moved to Mercer County, where he lived until his death in 1869. There were some other Chapmans in that area, as I have found many names, but cannot tie them into my John. you may check that area of Ohio. I believe there was a John in Stark County, but not mine. Good Luck!

Kim Chapman Moore (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2003 3:21AM GMT
Surnames: Chapman
Karen,

I was reading back thru some of these Chapman queries and came back on this one again. There were quite a few Chapmans in the Stark co-Columbiana Co Ohio region and I might be able to help you tie your Alan B. into one. I don't know a lot about those Chapman's, but am finding there were a lot more there than I first thought!

Please contact me again.

Posted: 4 Dec 2003 4:13AM GMT
2+ years later, I'm trying to figure out why I'd posted in Lycoming PA message board. I still have not documented who his parents were, though. I've an online tree at ancestry.com & pretty much what I know of Allen B Chapman is there.

So, what's come up that rang a bell with you?

Posted: 5 Dec 2003 4:32PM GMT
Looking back at postings, I found that you and I had both posted at the Lycoming board. I also found that you and I were both looking in the Stark-Columbiana Co. area of Ohio to tie into the Chapmans.

I think I was hoping that maybe we could find a connection.
Sorry!

Posted: 5 Dec 2003 5:13PM GMT
Hold on there. Grandfather ABChapman born OH 1866, 1st found on records 1878, married Rosa Skinner in Canton, Stark County, family shown on 1900 census there.

Posted: 5 Dec 2003 11:49PM GMT
Surnames: Chapman, Hawley
I looked up your info on ancestry, but don't know if my John will fit in there or not.

If you still want to fit Allan into one of the Chapman families around there, there were actually quite a few! I haven't been able to fit my John in either.

My John did marry in 1839 and went on to have several children. He moved to Mercer Co. in 1847-48 and had more children there. None of them moved back east. In fact, in the info I have on the family, they very seldom referred to any family back east except for John's wife's family, the Hawleys.

K Powell (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2003 12:03AM GMT
From all I can dig up, and from all the family lore, sketchy as it was, I am pretty sure John L in Summit County is the father. Mother however is a mystery.

Anyway, we should probably take further discussion to email, eh?

aKim Chapman Moore (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2003 3:32PM GMT
K, reply to me on email.

kkcm_2000@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic