Search for content in message boards

O'Meara 1911 census information

O'Meara 1911 census information

Frank O'Meara (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2004 2:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
I need information from the 1911 census for Ireland County Kerry. Recently I requested from the LDS church in Australia the 1901 and 1911 census films relating to Dromdoohig More, Aghadoe Parish, Killarney. The 1901 census disclosed my GGF Jeremiah Mara, 75years, his wife Mary, 70 years, and son Daniel, 30 years, living in Townland Dromduhig More, Parish of Aghadoe, Killarney.
However, The LDS church advised that the 1911 census would not be available in Australia until the end of the year. Film number 2170857 item 2 refers (1911 Killarney DED 66/1-22 Dromdoohig More).
I need to follow up the above information for the 1911 census. Can anyone help please. Frank O'Meara.

Re: O'Meara 1911 census information

KerryKate (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2004 3:27PM GMT
Hi Frank,
If you can't get a lookup done by anyone else,

GenFindit does census look ups when you know the townland. You can check out their prices on their page.
I don't have any access to the 1911 census.

In 1901
Jeremiah and Pat lived in townland of Dromdoohigmore

I may have something else for you though.
Did you have a Cornelius, a Donal in the Meara family.
If so let me know.
I found a headstone transcription that might fit your Meara family.

regards
KerryKate
http://www3.telus.net/KerryKate/

Re: O'Meara 1911 census information

Posted: 22 Jun 2004 12:24AM GMT
Hi KerryKate
Thanks for your advice re the 1911 census.
Also, I am interested in the headstone re Cornelius: it may relate to our family.
Regards,
Frank

Re: O'Meara buried in Aghadoe Killarney

KerryKate (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2004 5:39PM GMT
Hi Frank,
I found this transcription, while looking for something else in one of my research books. It comes from The Casey Collection Volumes which has some Aghadoe cemetery transcriptions.

I do think this might be related to your family., as you will note that on the Headstone it says Drom. This could be short version of the name of the townland they lived in. (which is same as your Meara family)
I On the headstone it says and I type here just what it says.
Inside Main Gate to Right Aghadoe Cemetery

First Row.
In Loving memory of Jerh.Meara, son of Cornelius. Drom
died 12th May 1916 in his 89th year and his mother, Mary Foley, who died 6th July 1920 age 93 years.
R.I.P.
Their family erected this ____ Corn? Jerh. John, Mgt. Donal and Ty.
Jerh.O'Meara died 13/9/23. Young Donal died June 1 1939. Donal O'Meara died 7/10/42. Julia O'Meara died 11/1/45

Regards
KerryKate
http://www3.telus.net/KerryKate/

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 11:09AM GMT
Hi KerryKate,
Thanks for the headstone transcription. However, at this stage, it appears not to relate to my family. Thanks again for your interest.
Frank

Posted: 22 Apr 2005 1:38AM GMT
Thanks again Kerry Kate for your help. I refer to the transcription of the following headstone in Aghadoe Cemetery, from the Casey collection, which you forwarded to me some time ago. I now realise that this is connected directly with my O'Meara family.
"In loving memory of Jerh.Meara, son of Cornelius, Drom. Died 12 May 196in his 89th year and his mother, Mary Foley, who died 6 July 1920 age 93 years. RIP. Their family erected this…..Corn? Jerh, John, Mgt. Donal and Ty. Jerh. O'Meara died 13/9/23. Young Donal died June 1 1939. Donal O'Meara died 7/10/42. Julie O'Meara died 11/1/45."
I am satisfied that the "Corn?" is my GF who emigrated to Australia in late 1800. However I am uncertain re the following -
Is headstone still in Aghadoe cemetery?
We have a Daniel but not a Donal. Are these names interchangeable?
Our Mary Foley was the wife of Jerh. Meara who died 12/5/1916. Is word 'mother' an error.
Is Julie O'Meara the wife of Daniel (Donal?) who both lived in Dromduhigmore (Drom)? The 1911 census disclosed that Daniel was 42 and Julie 36 and lived with their parents the abovementioned Jeremiah 82 years and Mary 83 years.
Any help will be appreciated.
Frank O'Meara

Posted: 1 May 2005 8:11PM GMT
Surnames: Meara, O'Meara
Hello Frank,

I am wondering if your O'Mearas have any connection to mine who lived quite nearby. James Meara/O'Meara was the husband of Catherine Looney and they lived in the townland of Lissivane West in Kilbonane Civil parish.
The James Meara family and a Patrick Meara are listed there in the 1852 Griffiths valuation.
The eight sons & one daughter of James & Catherine came to the area north of Boston in the late 1800s-early 1900s, but the eldest son, also called James O'meara returned to Ireland after 1929 and died there in 1951. He is buried in Churchtown Cemetery of Beaufort, just west of Killarney.
Another James Meara, son of Daniel & Nellie Meara, died in 1961 and is buried in the same plot.
You previously mentioned having an O'Meara family history book. Does it mention either Lissivane West or Beaufort? Could you please send me author, date, publishing house, etc., as I might be able to order a copy.

Best, John Bierman
Dayton, Ohio, USA
biermajw@notes.udayton.ed

Posted: 3 May 2005 9:15AM GMT
Hi John
Re your message of 1 May 2005, it appears that my O'Meara family is not connected to yours.
My g grandfather Jeremiah O'Meara b abt.1828 (Mara/ MEARA) of Dromduhigmore (various spellings) Kilarney married Mary Foley b abt. 1831 in Killelee Kilarney. They had the following children, Cornelius, born abt.1858, who emigrated to Australia and married Mary O'Sullivan (from County Kerry) on 20 April 1892, Jeremiah born1860, Margaret born 1864, Michael born 1867, Timothy, born 11 May 1873 and Daniel born 1869. All children were born in Dromduhigmore Kilarney, County Kerry, Ireland. As far as I know, Cornelius was the only one of the above who emigrated to Australia.
I am not aware of any family history book. Please let me know if you discover one.
Regards,
Frank O'Meara
Australia

Posted: 3 May 2005 3:39PM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2006 11:05AM GMT
Surnames: O'Meara/Meara
Hello again Frank,

The O'meara Family History I was refering to was the book you inherited from your father. You said in a January posting that it had been written by Margaret Shaw in 1969.
When & where was this printed? What is the full title? i might be able to get a copy by interlibrary loan.

Best, John
Dayton, Ohio, USA
biermajw@notes.udayton.edu

Posted: 4 May 2005 7:11AM GMT
Hi John,
No! No! No!
I never inherited any book from my father. Also, I never made a January posting in this regard.
Regards,
Frank O'Meara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions