Search for content in message boards

Unable to register; "No internet Connection"

Unable to register; "No internet Connection"

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 6:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've been using FTM since 2009, however this problem is often an issue and has plagued me in the past. Looking through the message boards, it is often repeated. WAY too often.

So, I'm wanting to do more research and use FTM along with Ancestry.com since I've made contact with new family members. I've upgraded software to 2012 (please, please work since 2011 didn't), but can't register. I managed to get past registration by changing the registry key and able to login on the Web Search page. I've added FTM.EXE as an exception in the Windows Firewall (but since the connection is outgoing to ports 80 and 443 it shouldn't matter).

I've noticed that if I enter bad credentials on the login (Go to Web Search and next to the Address Bar, choose browser options button and Log In To Ancestry), it doesn't prompt me that they are good or bad. I can enter two different passwords (one with uppercase first char, the other with lower - I know which is right, but it takes both, however if I press random keys on the kbd, it does prompt that the password failed. Great stuff).

Then I went to Plan and clicked "Upload and Link to Ancestry". I haven't started paying for service again (and won't until it starts working), but should be able to access my online account through the software.

I was able to use Wireshark to capture packets when attempting to "Upload and Link...". Results can't be attached because the filetype isn't allowed (pcap file).

Basically I get a DNS lookup for www.familytreemaker.com with a return of 66.43.21.214. Then FTM reaches out on HTTP with a get request and the response is http/1.0 404 Not Found. Looks like their web server is missing the something that allows FTM to work in my situation.

So, since I have a hardware firewall with a cache, I disabled the cache. No luck. The results from Wireshark seem to tell me that there is something wrong with their server, but might be Windows 7? Internet Explorer 9? 64bit OS? A systems engineer with 20 years of experience trying to use the software? Is it because I'm behind a corporate firewall that HTTP requests don't work (they do in IE, Firefox, Chrome). I do have an Intel PRO/1000 PT dual port server adapter in my computer. Could this be the problem?

I'm lost. What do I do besides not renew my subscription. (I cancelled it in the past when I upgraded to 2011 and it didn't work. Since then have moved, new ISP, different computer - can't blame them).

I've looked through the help that's available on their site, but if anyone can give me a clue where else I might look, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
David

Re: Unable to register; "No internet Connection"

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 11:04PM GMT
I am also having a "no internet connection" error when trying to upload and link my family tree to ancestry. I just purchased the 2012 version yesterday and it performed a version upgrade so I know i have the latest version (version 21.0.0.580). I have also turned off the Windows firewall. I can verify that internet works with the web browser and email, just not in FTW. Any solutions?

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 1:16AM GMT
I just figured out my problem with Family tree maker not connecting to the internet. I always use firefox as my default web browser. As soon as I change my default browser to internet explorer, all internet connections within FTM started working. go figure. hope this helps you.

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 1:28AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2012 1:34AM GMT
Thank you for your suggestion. IE was default although I usually use Firefox. I set FF to default and it didn't work. Changed back and still no go. Anything else?

I might reconfigure my network to exclude the firewall, but hate doing that. I expect they would blame it. I wish I could get logs to them without waiting well over 30 min on the phone Not gonna waste my minutes on this.

Regards,
David

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 2:16AM GMT
What router are you using? Have you bypasses the router and hooked directly to the modem?

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 3:04AM GMT
more info
I am currently using a separate smoothwall linux based firewall on a separate box. My FTW internet connections work with the web proxy turned on. It is in transparent mode. I know you were wondering about your proxy.

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 5:52AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2012 5:54AM GMT
Thanks Jeff and George,

It's not "really" a corporate firewall - I'm using an IPCop box before my CenturyLink modem (similar to George's smoothwall firewall - mine's running on an old Thinkpad T40 and much better than any Cisco firewall in my book - only because it doesn't cost a grand or more). I've had FTM working in the past through the same firewall (FTM 2010).

By re-configuring the network, I will change the connections in my wiring closet to see if this makes a difference, connecting my PC to the CL modem network (why do I have multiple networks in my house?).

I saw some errors using WireShark referring to IP Checksum failing and it might be related to ip checksum offload (the server NIC does it instead of the CPU). I disabled this function on the card and still see it. Downgraded NIC driver from Intel and same. Will switch over to an onboard NIC after I power cycle and see what happens on a different mfg NIC.

I'm skeptical at this point though as the firewall allows all outbound requests and reply's to requests are allowed back in. I've got guests right now (that's why I'm trying to work on some things...) but when they leave, my bedroom (and closet) are mine again and I can futz around with it.

Thanks!

Posted: 22 Jul 2012 2:05PM GMT
It's the IP Cop firewall. Wonder what it's blocking. There may be some inbound ports that are needed? No idea, but I don't like leaving myself unprotected to use ONE software package. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Posted: 22 Jul 2012 11:49PM GMT
sorry David, over my head. I wonder if the ancestry servers have to connect back inbound to FTW in some way as part of an anti-piracy tool.

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 11:34PM GMT
Got the same problem
Turned off proxy on green and it works perfect......
Will now have to investigate why the proxy function in Ipcop is affecting Family tree make 2012

per page

Find a board about a specific topic