Search for content in message boards

Mary Freeman b. 1610, m. Richard Sisson b. 1607/8

Mary Freeman b. 1610, m. Richard Sisson b. 1607/8

Peggy (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Feb 2002 5:51AM GMT
Surnames: FREEMAN, SISSON, TRIPP
Seeking information on the parents of Mary FREEMAN, b. 1610, Dartmouth, Bristol Co., MA; mar. abt 1645, MA, Richard SISSON, b. 1607/08, Portsmouth, Newport, RI. Richard and Mary had a dau Anne SISSION, b. 1647/48, Dartmouth, who mar. abt 1667, Dartmouth, Peleg TRIPP of Newport Co., RI. Any information on the FREEMAN and SISSION ancestry would be appreciated.

FREEMAN, SISSON, TRIPP

Bob (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman, Sisson, Tripp
I have a Mary Tripp daughter of John Tripp & Mary Paine Born about 1646, died after 1716. Sorry no exact dates yet. Married Gershom Wordell b 7/14/1642 Portsmouth RI. Children William b 1663, Mary, Elizabeth, Richard, Return, Greshom#3,
Sarah, & Innocent. They moved to Tiverton RI befor 1741 I think Tiverton at that time was part of Bristol Co Ma. I think I may have some info on Sisson also I'm checking and will let you know.

John & Mary (Paine) Tripp Descendants

Peggy Tripp Workman (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2002 5:57AM GMT
Surnames: TRIPP, PAINE, WORELL, LAWTON, CUDWORTH
Have info for descendents of same John & Mary (Paine)Tripp to present generation. Am looking for more info for James Tripp b about 1656, brother of Mary Tripp who married Gershom Worell. My father's family comes from this James Tripp. He married (!st) Mercy Lawton, and (2nd) Elizabeth Cudworth Aug. 12th 1702. He died May to 1730 in Dartmouth, Massachusett, USA.
I have all the dates from him to me, but no personal information about him or descendents. Any help would be appreciated.

Mary Freeman? w. Richard Sisson

Posted: 12 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2002 6:08AM GMT
Surnames: Sisson, Freeman, Atkinson

Bristol Co., Mass.
In response to your query concerning Richard Sisson(1) and his wife Mary, maiden name unknown. I am descended from their son George Sisson(2), and have been researching them for many years. I also belong to the NEHGS,in Boston, from which I receive great records of New England. I have also corresponded with many other Sisson researchers throughout the years. None of them have ever found any proof that Mary's name was Freeman, that I know of. I searched Freeman records and could find no connections. Many of us now believe Mary's name may have been Atkinson, as there are records in England, that seem to coincide with our Richard and Mary. I believe the Freeman error was made many years ago, and has been continued, regardless of proof. If you have any proof, I would like very much to know of it. If I can help you in any way with this line, let me know.
mjssisso@nemr.net

James Tripp

Dale (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2002 12:58PM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2002 6:13AM GMT
Surnames: Tripp, Lawton, Goddard, Taylor

1678 Jun 3; he had an ear mark for sheep recorded

1682, Jan 19; married Mercy Lawton

1689; James was in Dartmouth, Ensign

1702 Aug 12; Marriage to 3rd wife took place at his house, though the bride's residence was Scituate.

1717 Nov 22; Daughter Mary was married to Daniel Goddard, and her mother Lydia Tripp is mentioned as deceased.

1729 May 10; James will is dated

1730 Jul 21; James will was proved, Ex son John. To wife Elizabeth...To son John...To daughter Elizabeth Mitchell, son Robert, son James, son Francis, son Stephen, son Israel, daughter Isabel Tripp, to 4 daughters Mary Godddard, Lydia Tripp, Thankful Taylor, Isabel Tripp, To eldest son John. (Bristol County Probates 7:62)

Richard Sisson

Dale (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2002 1:07PM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2002 5:55AM GMT
Surnames: Sisson, Sussel, Atkinson

1608 Richard was born in England. [A George Sisson was from Burton, Latimer, Northamptonshire, England and came to Portsmouth, RI (don't know the year, came from Top. Dict. of English Emig. pp 126, which sited Banks Mss].

1632 Feb 14 There is a record of the marriage of a Richard Sissons of Elmeshall and Mary Atkinson of Hecke, certified 4 Sep 1970 by Canon B.A. Ramsker, M.A., Vicar of Snaith and of Carlton, Snaith Vicarage, near Goole, Yorkshire, England. Mr Ramsker also certified that there are records of baptism for children of Richard Sissons of Hecke: 15 May 1634 for Richard, 17 July 1636 for George, 24 June 1639 for Marie, 22 Aug 1642 for Thomas, and 23 March 1642 for Alice. There is no way of knowing from this data whether this Richard and Mary (Atkinson) Sissons are related in any way to the Richard and Mary Sisson who were in Rhode Island.

1639 It has been reported that he came to Portsmouth, RI. We have never seen a confirmation of this. If he first came in 1639 he must have returned to England, since at least the first three children, George, Anne, and Elizabeth, were born in England. Apparently they came to Dartmouth with these children.
Richard and Mary were probably Quakers and could not legally leave England. If so, no records of their departure from England or arrival in New England would have been made. Some early references listed Richard and Mary as immigrating with two sons. Richard and Mary probably brought four children with them when they immigrated but only one of these is a son (George). We doubt that other children would have immigrated with the family without being recorded.

1653 May 17 Dartmouth records show that Richard and Mary immigrated to Massachusetts. This is the first known record of Richard in New England. Richard was admitted as a freeman in Dartmouth (160 Allied Families, pp 210).

1653 July 2, He was on a jury that found in the case of Thomas Bradley (discovered on the highway dead) "that by extermity of heat the said Thomas was overcome and so perished by himself in the wilderness" (160 Allied Families, pp 210).

1653 August, Richard served as a juror.

1655 Listed as freeman of Portsmouth, RI, called Richard Sussel (160 Allied Families, pp 211).

Richard was Secretary of Colony (17th Century Colonial Ancestors, pp 230).

1658 Jul 6 he bought 1/300th of Quonaquett Island and 1/300th of Dutch Island. Land deeded to him by William Hall of Portsmouth, RI (160 Allied Families, pp 211).

1660s they lived with or near their second son, James, in Westport, Bristol County, Massachusetts, owning a large piece of land there.

1660 he sold 1/300th land he bought in 1658 to Peleg Sanford (160 Allied Families, pp 211).

1667 Removed to Dartmouth, MA

1667 June 5 he serve on the Dartmouth Grand Jury (160 Allied Families, pp 211).

1668 May 27 Testimony of Richard Sisson, being about 60. "John Archer, being at my house, did speak as followeth, and said the deed of gift made by Namumpam to John Sanford and himself was a cheat, and the intent thereof was to deceive Namumpam, squaw Sachem, of her land; and they were to have both corn and peague to secure her land, from Wamsutta or Peter Talman, and was to resign up the deed at her demand." "And I, Mary Sisson, do testify that I heard the same words at the same time, and further, when my husband was gone out of the house, I heard them both say they were troubled in conscience they had concealed it so long, and did refuse to take part of the gratification." The above was attested upon oath before John Cooke (160 Allied Families, pp 211).

1668 June 3 Richard Sisson was sworn to this testimony before John Alden. The event occured probably in Portsmouth, before he moved to Dartmouth as Archer and Sanford were both of Portsmouth (160 Allied Families, pp 211).

1671 June 5 Surveyor of highways (160 Allied Families, pp 211).

1683 October 18 Richard wrote his will (160 Allied Families, pp 211).

1684 February 26, will proved. Names son James as executor, Witnesses Ebenezer Allen and John Anthony. He states: to wife Mary, my dwelling house and L12 rent per year; with firewood, orchard fruit, land for garden, liberty to keep poultry for her use, and also a horse to be maintained, and kept at ther command to ride on; also 2 oxen, and 2 cows that I bought with my money; all debts due to me I give to my wife; and he also provided that she shall have a milch cow maintained for her use, with winter shelter and summer pasture during life, and 2 parts of all my swine. Also my wife shall have her corn carried to the mill and the meal brought home again sufficient for use during life, and he gives her 10 bushels of new Indian corn 3 rye, and half my wheat and barley. To James, all my housing and land in Dartmouth, excepting land near Pogansett Pond, and reservations to wife as aforesaid. To daughter Ann Tripp and her husband Peleg Tripp, tract of land near Pogansett Pond, and to daughter Tripp and her hsuband Peleg Tripp's children, all those sheep he is keeping. To son John, all my house and land in Portsmouth. To son George, L5 in money. To daughter Elizabeth Allen, wife of Caleb Allen, L5 in money. To Indian servant Samuel, a two year old mare; to grandchild Mary Sisson, 3 cows, 1 bed., etc., on her marriage, and 1 pewter flagon and brass kettle which was her aunt Mary's. (160 Allied Families, pp 211).

Richard died in February 1684; his inventory at that time was: L600, 19s, Dartmouth real estate L240, Rhode Island real estate L60, cattle and horses L113, 15s, swine L30, sheep L14, 10s, furnishings L50, new cloth, wool yarn, hemp and flax L13, One Negro servant L28, One Indian servant L10, cash money L12 (160 Allied Families, pp 211).

A house built about 1725 by Richard and Mary's son George, perhaps including or superceding remains of Richard and Mary's house, can be seen at 1236 East Main Road, Portsmouth, Rhode Island.

In politics he was reported as Huguenot. He was a member of the Society of Friends (Quakers).

Re: John & Mary (Paine) Tripp Descendants

Posted: 30 Jan 2003 1:50AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2003 3:27PM GMT
The information I have on James Tripp, son of John and Mary (Paine) Tripp is:
b.1656

Posted: 30 Jan 2003 2:05AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2003 3:27PM GMT
James Tripp, son of John and Mary (Paine) Tripp;
b. 1656
m. (1) Mercy Lawton, January 19, 1682
m. (2) Lydia
m. (3) Elizabeth Cudworth, August 12, 1702
d. May 30, 1730
Children by second wife:
1. John b. Nov. 3, 1685
2. Elizabeth b. Nov. 21, 1687
3. Robert b. May 15, 1691
4. James b. July 17, 1694
5. Mary b. Jan. 9, 1700
Children by third wife:
6. Francis b. Jan. 3, 1705
7. Lydia b. April 30, 1707
8. Thankful b. March 8, 1709
9. Stephen b. Sept. 30, 1710
10. Isabel b. Dec. 31, 1713
11. Israel b. March 22. 1716

Deborah Tripp Probert (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2003 3:23AM GMT
Surnames: Tripp, Paine, Storey, Lancaster, Fogg, Tilton
<gsahlstrom@home.com> on Roots Web WorldConnect lists the "Gary B. Sahlstrom Family" & includes all children of John & Mary PAINE TRIPP.
I'm seeking, and appreciate, any information on families of my g.grandparents:
-Charles Frederick TRIPP, Sr, b. N. Yarmouth, Maine, 15 Feb., 1878, and m. 1873 at Newburyport, Mass. to wife Georgianna PAINE Storey, b. Limington, Maine, 30 Dec. 1849.
-Charles was the son of Jacob Tripp m.1829 Mary Yvonne FOGG of N. Yarmouth, ME, and grandson of Thomas Tripp m. 1795 Jane(Jean) LANCASTER of Albion & Vassalboro, ME.
-Georgianna was daughter of John Robert STOREY of Carlisle, England, m. Caroline C. TILTON of Hampton Falls, NH.

Re: Tripp Descendants

Posted: 21 Jul 2006 3:51AM GMT
Surnames: Tripp, Trip, Storey, Story, Paine
My new e-mail (Aug. 2006) <dprobert@charter.net>
Thanks! Deborah Tripp Probert
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions