Search for content in message boards

"William Peacock" Accident- 9/16/1830

"William Peacock" Accident- 9/16/1830

Posted: 6 Feb 2002 3:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Mar 2002 2:37PM GMT
I'm looking for information regarding the "Peacock" boiler explosion after departure from Buffalo, NY.

My ancestor died of his scalding from a steamship boiler explosion. This seems to be the only ship boiler explosion (and apparently the first on Lake Erie) during the 1828-30 period I'm looking into. He survived three weeks and supposedly made it to his destination which was Lawrenceburg, Indiana. He was coming from Schenectady, NY.

Any ideas where I might obtain this information?

Anyone know of any other ship explosions to occur during this period?
Thanks.

Re: "William Peacock" Accident- 9/16/1830

Scott Peters (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2002 4:11PM GMT
Greetings Melissa,

Walt Lewis' web site "Maritime History of the Great Lakes" has a Historical Documents section that has a listing of steamer engine/boiler accidents: http://www.hhpl.on.ca/GreatLakes/scripts/Bib.asp?PubID=13

The William Peacock incident is listed in there, but no names for the 14 victims. Perhaps you might want to contact the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society to see if they have a relevant newspaper record of the disaster. Good luck!

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 3:12PM GMT
I came across this website--
gendisasters.com

It listed 3 family names, one of which was my 4th great uncle, John Parker. Three of his children died in this explosion which occurred in September 1830.

Posted: 3 May 2013 7:54PM GMT
Here are several write-ups of the Peacock disaster in 1830: http://images.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/47526/data?n...

Posted: 4 May 2013 2:40PM GMT
Thank you. I also came across this site and found more info on my family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic