Search for content in message boards

Hunter family from Dalry Ayrshire

Hunter family from Dalry Ayrshire

John (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2000 8:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hunter, Kildea
John Hunter, wife Kate and children Mary, James, Jane, Ellen, John, Cornelius, Patrick and Catherine, lived in Dalry, Ayrshire in 1881. Some or all later went to the USA.
Another son, William, moved to Australia about 1882.

John was born in Ireland. His parents were John Hunter and Helen Kildea.

John and Kate married in Dalry.

Any help appreciated

Re: Hunter family from Dalry Ayrshire

Michael Kilday (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2002 11:46AM GMT
Surnames: Kilday, Kildea
Helen Kildea.
It's a long shot but there may be some connection.

My family originally came from Arigna, County Roscommon, Ireland. Their surname was Kilday or Kildea. My great grandfather, James Kilday (Kildea), born 1840, moved from Ireland to Dalry, Ayrshire.

There were a group of people who moved into Ayrshire from Arigna about this time. Maybe your ancestor Helen Kildea is related to this group of Kildays or Kildeas. My ancestors were miners in the iron mine at Arigna. When they moved to Dalry they worked in the coalmines there.

You may be able to get some records from the Scotish Records Office. I got some birth, death and marriage certificates relating to my own ancestors. Their records go back to about 1861.

Hope this may be of some help.

Angela Cawdron (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2004 10:11AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Blackley
I am also descended from Hunter's in Dalry. They too were Irish probably Scots/Irish. I am descended from William Auld and Catherine Hunter who married in 1866 in Dalry. Both William and Catherine died in there 30's leaving their children to be brought up by Catherine's brother. Catherine's father Patrick Hunter a coal mier and her mother Jane Blackley were Irish.
James Hunter, Catherine's brother went to live in New Zealand -I have tracked down James's descendents there.
Look forward to hearing from you
Angela

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 5:10AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
Angela,
I am still researching my Dalry Hunter ancestors.

Did I reply to your 2004 post?

John Hunter,
Brisbane, Australia
johnroscommon@gmail.com

Re: Hunter family from Dalry Ayrshire (William Hunter)

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 3:07AM GMT
Edited: 28 Sep 2010 11:24AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Gracie, Loudon, Lowden
Hi John

I have Hunter ancestors from Dalry.
William Hunter a school master and Jane Gracie I am a descendant of their daughter Jane Hunter who married David Loudon (Lowden)

Lisa

Re: Hunter family from Dalry Ayrshire (Catherine Hunter Auld)

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 11:05AM GMT
Edited: 28 Sep 2010 11:24AM GMT
Hi Lisa

Can you tell me when your Hunter family were in Dalry. I have not looked at my Hunter family for years but your names don't a bell at the moment.

My Hunter family were coal miners.

William Auld m Catherine Hunter in 1866 Dalry. Catherine's father was Patrick Hunter and mother Jane Blackley.

Regards Angela

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 12:16PM GMT
Hi Angela

I know that they were there in 1841 and I have also found archives placing them there in 1824 William Hunter Schoolmaster Newmill Dalry.
I have not come across any of your Hunters yet but then I have only started looking into my Hunter side in more Depth.

I have them there until at least 1860.
Going by census's, the only son I have found for William Hunter and Jane Gracie is Kirkpatrick Hunter who was born abt 1838 Kirkcudbright.
and the earliest child I have is Helen Hunter born 1817 Kirkcudbright.

They were in Kirkcudbright as early as 1796 wether or not in Dalry at that time I am uncertain.

My Dalry Hunters

William Hunter (b:abt 1796 Kirkcudbright d: 12 Apr 1849 Dalry, Kirk) and Jane Gracie (b: 1794 Keir, Dumfriesshire d: Jan 16 1860 Dalry, Kirk) (have never actually found their marriage)
children
Helen Hunter (b1817 Kirk)
Janet Hunter (b 1823 Kirk) marr Hugh McCulloch
Agnes Hunter (b 1827 Kirk)
Jane Hunter (b 1832 Dalry, Kirk) married David Loudon
Marion R Hunter (b 1834 Kirk)
Kirkpatrick Hunter (b 1838 Kirk)

I have found a marriage for a Kirkpatrick Hunter to Elizabeth Hamilton in 1860 at Edinburgh, Scotland, Wether or not it is the same Kirkpatrick I do not know.

Lisa

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 12:24PM GMT
Have just been looking up census's etc and I'm fairly certain that the Kirkpatrick Hunter who married Elizabeth Hamilton is the son of William Hunter and Jane Gracie he is listed on the 1861 Census as Kirk G Hunter

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 12:42PM GMT
Hi again Lisa

It is good to get a reply so soon. My Auld/Hunter family were Irish and came over from County Down. Both Catherine Hunter and William Auld's parents probably knew each other prior, as they both married in the Presbyterian church in Bangor.The Hunter's came over in in 1840's to Coatbridge/ Lanarksire before going to Dalry. William arrived in Ayrshire in 1860's. Both William Auld and Catherine Hunter died before the age of 40 and are buried in unmarked graves in Dalry

Regards Angela

Posted: 27 Dec 2013 6:08PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter,Robertson, Lister,Hay
I am a descendant of Kirkpatrick hunter and Elizabeth Hamilton ,their daughter was jane hunter who married john lister (her first husband was Henry Cribbes mcInnes Robertson died aged 24, they had two children Elizabeth and Alexander ). She remarried john lister and had more children, isabella (my grannie) and Agnes . Isabella married Andrew Hay.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic