Search for content in message boards

Phineas Hare (b. 1720), USA

Phineas Hare (b. 1720), USA

Posted: 24 Feb 2010 4:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hare, Phineas Hare
I have traced my line back to the following: Joseph Hare III (b. 1949 CA) - Joseph C. Hare II (b. 1914 MT) - Joseph Hare I or Joseph Jr. (b. 1886 ND) - Joseph Hare Sr. (b. I844 NY) - David Hare Jr. (b. 1800 NY) - David Hare (b. 1766 CT) - Phineas Hare (b. 1720 VT?). Does anyone know where Phineas Hare was born? Does anyone know who or when his family came to America from England?

Re: Phineas Hare (b. 1720), USA

Posted: 17 Mar 2010 4:11PM GMT
Surnames: HARE; Taunton and Bath, Somerset, England. -2010
To khare617.
Did you receive my earlier query as to your; "we may have a connection to the House of Harcourt, the Hare Baronets and the Earls of Listowel".

I would be interested in your thinking as to your possible linkage.

Best wishes,

Mike

Posted: 24 Mar 2010 8:32PM GMT
I am also from this line and am asking myself where did Phineas come from?

I will keep up the search and share any information I find with you. David Hare's son Daniel was my ggggrandfather.

Michael Allen
mallen2@bak.rr.com

Posted: 24 Mar 2010 10:23PM GMT
Surnames: Hare, Phineas Hare

Hello Mike John,

I am looking for information on Phineas Hare. He was born in Vermont on 1720. I cannot find his ancestors so I don't know when this Hare line came to America or what part of Europe they came from. If you can help that would be great.

As to your questions, I started my research after I saw the portrait Master Hare by Sir Joshua Reynolds at the Louvre in Paris. I came across a website called Stirnet.com that traced the Hares from the House of Harcourt to Sir Nicholas Hare and more.

I also found some information on wikipedia about the House of Harcourt, the Hare Baronets, Hugh Hare under Bruce Castle, and the Earls of Listowel. Master Hare and Herstmonceaux Castle I found on the Augustus Hare Society Pages.

My American ancestors I traced through my own records and using this site. I hope to piece together an interesting story if I can put all the pieces together.

Thank you,

k

Posted: 21 May 2010 1:09PM GMT
Surnames: Hare Hair
Hi Michael,
Any luck on our Hare family?
I ran into a new reference that says the early pioneers of Plattsburgh came from Dutchess County.
There were lots of Hare/Hairs there.
Maybe we should look.
Don't get caught up in the name Phineas, we don't know if that one is right.

Posted: 21 May 2010 1:22PM GMT
Surnames: Hare family origins
Mary,

Thank you for the lead. I've been working on my primary branch lately, Allen, and found a cousin I met when I was about eleven. She has given me a lot of information about the family. I'm retiring two weeks from today so I'll have time to spend on researching. I think it's time to move away from the information that's so readily available on Ancestry.com and start digging into the local genealogical societies and county records. That will be all new to me but I am challenging myself to learn many new skills when I retire. Thanks for keeping in touch, I'll do the same.

Mike

Posted: 23 May 2010 8:33PM GMT
Surnames: Phineas Hare, Plattsburgh Hare family
Hi Mary,

The Hare family I traced back to Plattsburgh, NY ended with Phineas Hare. I was hoping to find out when his ancestors came to America and from where.

I thought this was my family tree until information on an old family photo told me otherwise. My line isn't from Plattsburgh but Virginia so I have stopped researching Phineas Hare.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thank you,
k

Posted: 23 May 2010 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: Hare
Hi, Did you get contacted with our exchange?
Sorry, I have already sent you another researcher for your Joseph Hare family, and their connections to the Ohio Davenports and Virginia. Glad you have the correct information at last.
Perhaps if you unclick the alert box, you won't be further bothered with this query.
There is one family who has put forward the Phineas story. Since we are unable to confirm it, I was just warning another new researcher to look for other clues to our Plattsburgh origins.
Happy summer,
Mary

Posted: 23 May 2010 9:35PM GMT

Hi Mary,

I haven't been contacted by a researcher who knows about the Hare and Davenport families of Virginia and Ohio. Would love to learn more.

Oh, I wasn't bothered by the query. I thought there was a misunderstanding between us when I wrote my research was incorrect. The Plattsburgh information was correct, it just wasn't my family tree.

Cheers,
k

Posted: 5 Jul 2010 11:02PM GMT

I'm part of the Clinton County Hare group, like MaryBoPeep (the workhorse for the group of Hares who moved to Wisconsin and the Dakotas) my brick wall is David, b about 1766. Though Phineas seems to be a likely name of his father,I'm curious as to how you determined -- did you prove -- that David's father was actually was Phineas b. 1720?

The email chain doesn't state any clues. Would love to know how you arrived at the conclusion. Like a number of others researching this group, would really like to get my Hares out of Clinton County. Don't care who finds it -- even though it would be truly maddening to have someone working on another group stumble on clues that solve our mystery! However it comes, I will be too grateful.

Only other Hare mystery thing I want to solve as much is: Who was "Sidney Hair, hero of the Revolution" -- and where is the tombstone bearing that inscription? Sidney is my other favorite name candidate to be David's father.

Linda Guynup Dewey
per page

Find a board about a specific topic