Search for content in message boards

McLaughlin and McAdams

McLaughlin and McAdams

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 4:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information on Ellen Maria McLaughlin who married to Francis E. McAdams on May 2, 1874 in Jefferson County, Wisconsin. Watertown, i imagine. It says Volume 2 page 0266.

Ellen was born in 1850 in New York, supposedly, from census records. The census records also state that her parent were from Ireland.

They were my great grandparents. I would love to trace Ellen back. There are a couple McLaughlin's in New York (2 really) with Ellen's born in 1850 and I don't know which is mine.

Will I find any information on their marriage certificate? Should I order it or can I get it for free?

Any advice would be helpful. She died in 1913 and is buried at St. Bernards in Watertown, WI. Did they even write obituaries back then?

Thanks,
Mary

Re: McLaughlin and McAdams

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 7:22PM GMT
Marriage records from that time period do have a space for parents' names, although it wasn't always filled out. Marriage records in Wisconsin are expensive:
http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/vitalrecords/marriage.htm#bymai...
The pre-1907 ones are on microfilm at the Wisconsin Historical Society. Perhaps you could find a volunteer to make you a digital copy free.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 8:44PM GMT
Thank you.

Do you know what kind of volunteer or where I might find one?

thanks,
Mary

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 10:21PM GMT
Perhaps someone reading this message board can help. You could also check out Generous Genealogists:
http://generousgenealogists.com/

The Wisconsin Historical Society also holds microfilm of the Watertown newspapers for that time period, in case the volunteer could also help with the obituary (exact date of death would be needed).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions