Search for content in message boards

Isaac E. Jones, Waldo, Marion Co., Ohio, 1868-1940

Isaac E. Jones, Waldo, Marion Co., Ohio, 1868-1940

Peggy Capwell Jacobs (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jones, Williams, Hunsinger, Huntsinger, Evans, Capwell, Myers, Kunselman, Irwin, Jacobs, Barber, Bickley, Bryan, Thompson, Maxwell
I have tracked my Jones line to 1868 in Waldo, Marion Co., Ohio with Isaac E. Jones but can get no farther. This is what I know about him and his descendants so far.

1. ISAAC E. JONES was born September 23, 1868 in Waldo, Marion Co., Ohio, and died July 08, 1940 (Laurens, SC). He married JENNIE WILLIAMS August 20, 1896 in Marion County, Ohio, daughter of Rev. GARVER WILLIAMS who officiated at their wedding.
She was born July 17, 1879 in Red Lion, Pennsylvania, and died July 07, 1931 in Laurens, SC.
Issac was a contractor and he moved his family from Ohio to South Carolina for better work opportunities. His son Garver was also a builder/contractor.

Children of ISAAC JONES and JENNIE WILLIAMS are:
2. i. GERALD CLYDE JONES, b. September 24, 1899, Waldo, Ohio; d. January 26, 1950, Athens, Georgia.
3. ii. REV. IRVING VICTOR JONES, (Dick) b. February 09, 1911, Mt. Pleasant, North Carolina; d. February 26, 2000, Laurens, South Carolina.
4. iii. CORNELIOUS GARVER JONES, b. August 21, 1898, Marion, Ohio; d. November 15, 1955, Startex, South Carolina.
5. iv. MERLIN J. JONES, (Mike) b. April 30, 1905.
6. v. BERNICE JONES, b. January 05, 1902, Waldo, Ohio; d. January 15, 1991.
7. vi. MARY JONES, b. July 12, 1908, Mt. Pleasant, North Carolina, d. September 11, 1990, Laurens City Cemetery, Laurens, South Carolina.

GERALD CLYDE JONES was born September 24, 1899 in Waldo, Ohio, and died January 26, 1950 in Athens, Georgia. He married CHESTER HUNTSINGER, daughter of EDGAR HUNTSINGER and PEARL EVANS. She was born January 26, 1908 in Spartanburg, Mississippi, and died September 09, 1985 in Athens, Georgia.

REV. IRVING VICTOR JONES was born February 09, 1911 in Mt. Pleasant, North Carolina, and died February 26, 2000 in Laurens, South Carolina. He married SELMA ROBINSON in 1930, daughter of WILLIAM ROBINSON and ETHEL CRAIN. She was born in Laurens County, SC, and died July 31, 2000 in Laurens, South Carolina.

CORNELIOUS GARVER JONES was born August 21, 1898 in Marion, Ohio, and died November 15, 1955 in Startex, South Carolina. He married LOREE CROW. She was born July 26, 1899, and died February 13, 1993 in Athens, Georgia.

MERLIN J. JONES, known as Mike, was born April 30, 1905. He married SARA UNKNOWN.

BERNICE JONES and MARY JONES never married.

In the 1860 OHIO STATE GAZATTEER AND BUSINESS DIRECTORY there is a Jones listed as town trustee. There is no first name listed, just "Jones -----, township trustee. Does anyone know who this man is? It seems likely that he could be related.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give. I've been watching the board for any links, but haven't posted for a long time.

Peggy Capwell Jacobs

Huntsinger/hunsinger

Posted: 13 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2001 4:53AM GMT
Surnames: Huntsinger, Hunsinger, Jones, Ellis
Hi, I am researching relatives of Robert Huntsinger. Is it possible your Chester Huntsinger was born in Spartanburg S.C. and not Mississippi?

Re: Huntsinger/hunsinger

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 1:09AM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2005 1:27AM GMT
Surnames: Garald Bell
There is A Robert Huntsinger in my family . He was the son of Lenord Huntsinger and Mary Bell.. Born 1909 in Spartanburg county. Was living in Kings Mountain in 1920. they moved to Shelby NC. and he died thier and buried there. He had 4 children Mary Bell was my Grandmothers sister. I still keep in touch with one of his girls. Hope this helps Gerald Bell geraldbell@aol.com

Re: Isaac E. Jones, Waldo, Marion Co., Ohio, 1868-1940

Posted: 1 Apr 2009 12:10AM GMT
Hello! I can help you to a certain extent as I am related to the mother of Issac E.Jones: Elizabeth J.(b Ohio, 1839, Elliott)Armstrong married Cornelius D.Jones on September 19, 1867. It was the second mariage for both. He was listed on the census as a grocer.Together they had two children: Isaac born September 1868 and Lottie born 1875. Elizabeth died that year, perhaps as a result of the birth, but that's just a wild guess. Lottie was living with her father and his mother (Hariet Mahan)on the 1900 census for Waldo township...same time and place Isaac was living with his wife and 2 sons.

Cornelius brought 4 daughters from his first marriage and Elizabeth brought3 from hers: a big houseful of kids.

Chris Bauer,
Decendant of Nora Belle Armstrong (b. 1862),daughter of James and Elizabeth (Elliott)Armstrong of Waldo Township

Re: Huntsinger/hunsinger

Posted: 7 Apr 2009 2:03AM GMT
Her Social Security form has her birth place as Stark, Mississippi and the census I found her on have her birth place as Mississippi.

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 6:27AM GMT
Surnames: Hunsinger/Huntsinger, Jones
Chris,
Thank you for that information. I would love to know more about them if you have more. I would also love to know more about Elizabeth and her lineage. Do you have it posted somewhere or could you send it to me. I would be so greatful.
Peggy
pajacob@earthlink.net

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 7:41PM GMT
Hello, again! Sorry, I don't have a lot on "our" Elizabeth Elliott and her family. The Elliotts proliferated in the Ohio Marion county area for decades (and I believe ancestors may still be in Marion and vicinity). Elizabeth's father was Joseph W. Elliott (b 1808 Ohio). I traced his mother, Elizabeth, to the 1830 census in Westfield Township, Delaware County,Oh (which later became part of Marion county). It appears that a grandmother is living with Elizabeth and her 4 children. On this same census sheet is a John Elliott listed as a neighbor with 2 teenage girls. He may be her brother as they are cloe in age. The 1840 census finds mother Elizabeth living with son Joseph and his family in Vermillion, Indiana.He is married to his second(?)wife, Catherine. All but one child was born in Marion, Ohio and by 1860 census they have all returned to Marion and remain.

While Isaac Jones was married and living in Marion county/ Waldo Township he probably associated with his Elliott relatives. One Odilva Straub married Shannon T. Elliott (Elizabeth's 1/2 brother) and he ran a dry goods store in town and was also a horse dealer.
That's about it!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic