Search for content in message boards

Birth Records Wisconsin state

Birth Records Wisconsin state

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 6:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Was trying to find an answer about birth records - but having a hard time finding an answer to what I thought was a simple question.

For Wisconsin birth records. Not knowing the county that I need, is there any statewide index anywhere - online or in person - that allows you to search the years post 1907 - forward? Or worse case scenario, is there any index for each separate county available for that?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Re: Birth Records Wisconsin state

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 6:38PM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2013 7:09PM GMT
>>is there any statewide index anywhere - online <<

No, and the records pre-1907 are not comprehensive. 1907 was when the State finally enforced the mandate that all BMD be registered with the State.

Read here: http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/vitalrecords/

Vitals are kept by the state as well as the individual counties, but dates can vary what is archived at the country level.

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 7:02PM GMT
Thanks so much for such a fast response. I read through the link you provided. Oh my gosh it looks like searching will be pretty costly for Wisconsin since they are the ones that have to do it for a 5 year span with each request. The bad thing is with the names I research there is always a misspelling on so many documents - so it would seem that I am going to have to spend a lot of time and money requesting variations of spellings and time frames. Ugh.

Thanks again!

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 7:08PM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2013 7:09PM GMT
You can sometimes find a volunteer to have a look for you, but this works best if you know the country where the event took place. You can narrow the areas down by using the census data, if any of the people were alive in 1940 and prior.

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 1:54AM GMT
It is good to have an actual birth record, but sometimes you can find birthdates and parents by working a different angle, such as the social security death index or an obit. Or if they were in the military, their enlistment should list their birthdate and sometimes city of birth.

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 2:57AM GMT
So funny you just wrote this - because right now I am doing just that....going through SS death index, obits and military!

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 4:10AM GMT
If you get stuck, feel free to give me some names and possible birth years, and I will have a look too!

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 1:09PM GMT
There are index books if you go to the county or state in person. If you don't have an exact date, you would have to browse through the books year by year. At the state (Vital Records Office in Madison), you don't have to know the county. The index books will have the county.

It will usually not cost you anything to look at the records in person (with certain exceptions for Milwaukee County and the Vital Records Office in Madison that I know of...see below), just if you want a copy.

At Milwaukee County, you can look at any of the index books without charge. However, you can only look at the actual records for years up through 1932 I think it is. If you want them to pull a records after that, it will cost $7 to look at the record and $20 for a copy. Appointments are necessary to research here.

At the Vital Records Office in Madison, again you can look at any of the index books. The actual records you can look at without a fee vary by type of vital record. You can look at:
Births through 1938
Marriages and Divorces through 1967
Deaths through 2002
For anything after those dates, there is a $20 fee which includes a copy of the record. Appointments are required to research here also.

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 3:04PM GMT
try searching at www.familysearch.org

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 4:05PM GMT
Thanks so much for the offer! I am going to continue to try and exhaust all the avenues I can then may call in the troops for help ha ha.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic