Search for content in message boards

John A Shearer, son of William and Margaret

John A Shearer, son of William and Margaret

Posted: 24 Aug 2002 6:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Feb 2003 12:30AM GMT
Surnames: Shearer, King, Arneil
John A SHEARER was born in Huntingdon on 12 September 1854. He was the son of William SHEARER and Margaret KING. By 1877 he was living in Winnipeg where he married Jemima ARNEIL, daughter of John ARNEIL and Lucy MARTIN.

Does anyone recognize him?

Re: John A Shearer, son of William and Margaret

Posted: 26 Jun 2005 2:05PM GMT
Surnames: KING SHEARER
Do you know any more about Margaret King? After YEARS of research, I just found that William King, my 3rd great-grandfather, immigrated from Scotland to Huntingdon Quebec. William & wife Anne Erskine had 8 children, the youngest being Margaret, b. 18 May 1817. Could this be the same Margaret who married John Shearer?

Posted: 4 Aug 2005 3:15AM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2005 5:52AM GMT
Surnames: King, Wilson, Hay
John A Shearer, I believe was the 7th child of William Shearer and Margaret King. I have been researching the King family, of which my husband is a desendent. If I can be of any help let me know. How are you related?

Posted: 4 Aug 2005 3:28AM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2005 5:52AM GMT
Margaret King, I believe, is a sister of Anna King. I have been researching my husbands family and Anna, who married James Wilson were his 2nd great parents.

Posted: 5 Aug 2005 3:56AM GMT
Surnames: KING, SHEARER, WILSON
Yes! That sounds like the same Margaret. I wasn't positive about her OR Ann (I have Ann, but Anna sounds good), but had tentatively put James Wilson in as Ann/Anna's husband, also. If all my theory is correct, Margaret and Ann/Anna are the daughters of William King/Anne Erskine both b. Scotland. Apparently the family immigrated sometime around late 1820's to early 1830's. They had 8 children: George, John (my gg-grandfather), Ann/Anna, William, Archibald, Thomas, David & Margaret. John & HIS wife Martha Crichton/Creighton left Scotland abt. the same time, but settled in PA for several years, then went to Canada (I had always thought Ontario, but have to now 'rethink' that), eventually ending up in MI. 2 other sons (Thomas, David) moved from Quebec to Iowa; I've found no record of George or William.
If you still think this is a connection (I think it is!), let's please compare notes.
Thanks so much for your response!
Best Regards,
Judy King

Posted: 5 Aug 2005 4:04AM GMT
Surnames: KING SHEARER etc.
Hi Ken,
I just replied to your last post, so see that for more details. William King & Anne Erskine, whom I am convinced are the parents of Margaret, would be my 3rd gr-grandparents. Their son, and Margaret's brother, John, is my 2nd great-grandfather.

I am THRILLED if we are connected. I have found so FEW relatives, even with these huge families!

Please tell me your connection, as well.
Thanks so much!

Posted: 6 Aug 2005 6:14AM GMT
Sounds like there is definitely a connection. I have William King and Ann Ashin, tho. Believe I got it off the 1951 census. I believe they all came from Scotland around 1836 or 1840. This is because James Wilson and Anna King had their first three children in Scotland, last one in Oct of 1835, then the 4th child in Quebec about 1840. How do we get in touch with one another?

Posted: 6 Aug 2005 7:14PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2005 6:22PM GMT
Surnames: KING ERSKINE SHEARER etc.
Hi Kristine,
Wonderful! Erskine is one of those names spelled 3000 different ways. I have Erskine from Scottish Parrish Records, and from FHC; plus William & Anne/Ann's grandson, John, married a Janet Erskine here in Sanilac Co. MI. Whatever way we spell it, I, too, believe we're connected, and that's fantastic.
My email is heyjud@greatlakes.net. I have LOTS of info on KING, particularly the decendants of William/Anne/Ann's son John, which is my direct line. I am very anxious to hear from you, and will share whatever I have that you want.

Have a great day!
Judy King

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 2:52AM GMT
i am also checking into a rev Wm King Shearer ....I dont if my info is what you are looking for or even if they are the same family could we exchange info

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 3:58PM GMT
If this is the Rev. William K. Shearer who died in Toronto, May 27, 1936, at the age of 83, then I have just seen his obit in the local newspaper, while I was researching the paper for a project.

Send me a note at my email address and I can forward a scan.

Burt Lang
burt@gorum.ca

in response to
i am also checking into a rev Wm King Shearer ....I dont if my info is what you are looking for or even if they are the same family could we exchange info
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions