Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 has stopped working

FTM 2012 has stopped working

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 12:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been running FTM 2012 on a Dell XPS 17 with windows 7 for several months. All of a sudden, the FTM program will not even open. I have also tried opening a back up file directly, but still no response.

Has anyone else had this problem or might have any suggestions, please?

I was thinking of trying to re-install FTM again, but thought I would ask on this forum for help and advise first.

Thanks in anticipation.

Terry

Re: FTM 2012 has stopped working

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 1:01PM GMT
Terry,

Please restart your computer then see if you are able to double click on the FTM2012 ICON and see if it now opens.

When was the last time you were able to run FTM2012?

Has anything changed, updates, etc, on your PC between the last time you were able to run FTM2012 and now?

Russ

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 1:16PM GMT
Russ,

Thanks for replying. I have restarted my laptop several times, even left it off for a day, but I double click the desktop icon, and also tried via the "Start, All Programs, etc" method and on my laptop the cursor starts to rotate for a few seconds ,then..... nothing happens.

I have been using FTM 2012 since 4th March with no problem, syncing OK with the tree on Ancestry.co.uk, successfully until about 2 days ago, and now nothing.

As far as I am aware nothing has changed/updated on my laptop over the last couple of days. Its really frustrating.

Thanks

Terry

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 2:43PM GMT
Terry,

Please re-install FTM2012. Do NOT uninstall. You should see a Repair option offered to you. Use that option.

Russ

Posted: 28 Jul 2012 4:55AM GMT
Thanks Russ,

I will try that.

Terry

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 8:09AM GMT
Unfortunately, this has not solved the problem.

Terry

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 11:13AM GMT
Terry,

Did anything happen while you did the Repair? Any Error messages?

I would then Uninstall and Reinstall (then Re-register) FTM2012.

Russ

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 10:01PM GMT
Hi Russ,

Nothing happened at all, so will installant & reinstall and re-register as you suggest.

Thanks for your advice

Terry

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 6:43AM GMT
I have uninstalled and reinstalled FTM 2012, but I am still unable to run FTM. I thought I was going to be OK as it asked me to install required updates after the installation finished, but then nothing happened, no error messages.

Just the cursor rotates for a few seconds as if the programme is loading and then stops and nothing loads.

All my other programmes still seem to load OK.

Any further ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 5:41AM GMT
Terry,

Ancestry.com knows they have this problem. I found it during beta testing that they let me do in 2011 and they refused to fix it. Instead they dumped it on the public. Like a dummy I transferred all of my family trees over to FTM 2012 and now whenever I try to merge files, the program stops working and shuts down! I cannot even merge 20 people!

I have finally given up all hope of getting this program to work correctly for me and I have been using various FTM programs since Ancestry.com first released them. I have over 100,000 people on my tree and I wish I would never have moved them to FTM 2012!

Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic