Search for content in message boards

Needing additional info for mystery-man, John William SMITH, of Bedford, Blair and Chester Co., PA, b. abt 1874/1875

Needing additional info for mystery-man, John William SMITH, of Bedford, Blair and Chester Co., PA, b. abt 1874/1875

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 5:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ALLISON, SELL, SMITH
I'm adding a little more info in hopes that I might connect with someone on this.

I am continuing to search for my mystery-man--John William SMITH (2nd marriage) m. Margaret ALLISON 25 Dec. 1912, Newry, Blair Co. PA died perhaps in Chester Co., PA. They had three children: Warren (was in the military), Anna Jane and Grace. John died sometime before late October 1927 (my Uncle remembers John SMITH died when he was in the first grade: Fall 1924-Spring 1925). The 2 girls supposedly lived in Lionville, Chester Co., Pennsylvania.

1930 PA Census (Uwchlan Twp., Chester Co.): Margaret SMITH is listed with her 2 girls (ages 12 and 10 yrs.) as widowed; living 4 households away from possibly her brother—“Russel M. Allison” and family.

Margaret ALLISON b. abt. 1891 was the dau. of Harrison and Jane ALLISON (known siblings: Laura, Jennie, Russell M., and Ruth). As a child she lived with her family in Freedom Twp., Blair Co. (listed in 1900 & 1910 PA Census).

John 1st married Mary SELL of Bedford Co. PA on 26 Mar 1899. John was 24 y/o and living in Bloomfield Twp. at time marriage license was issued. This makes him b. abt. 1874/1875.
They had 2 daughters: M. Kathryn (my grandmother) and Barbara ("Bide").

1900 PA Census, Bedford Co.: Mary and Kathryn are listed in the living with her father (Joseph SELL), but John SMITH is not listed,

1910 PA Census in Bedford Co.: John, Mary and the girls are all listed as living with Mary’s father, Joseph SELL.

They divorce 11 Nov. 1912, and they both remarry within a few weeks. John SMITH to the above mentioned Margaret ALLISON on 25 Dec. 1912, Newry, Blair Co. PA.

I cannot find John or Margaret SMITH in the 1920 PA Census.

John SMITH's father was Joseph SMITH (mother's name unknown).

I know Warren died in the 1950’s, but the girls may still be living. I don’t know if they married or what their married names would be.

Any info would be greatly appreciated—especially on John William SMITH:)
Kathy Clay
ikathyc@gmail.com

Answers to John William SMITH (b. 1875) mystery, of Bedford, Blair and Chester Co., PA

Posted: 11 Apr 2007 2:02PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: SMITH, ALLISON, YEARSLEY, DICKINSON
Thanks to some wonderful legwork by Dan Lindley in Chester Co., he was able to find some of the John Smith (b. 1875, Bedford County, PA, d. April 16, 1926) info that I have been looking for for many years! By asking me lots of questions, he was able to locate the following obituaries and tombstone information as well as sending me a photo of the grave marker. Thanks Dan!

**I am still looking to find the name of John SMITH’s mother. His father’s name was Joseph SMITH according to John’s 2 marriage licenses.

Daily Local News, April 17, 1926
John W. Smith
At his home in Lionville, yesterday, John W. Smith died, following an illness of several months, aged 51 years. He was originally from Altoona, but had lived in the neighborhood ten or more years, recently farming for Mrs. Frank March, on the former Augustus Sheneman place. He is survived by his wife and three children, Walter, Grace and Ann. A brother-in-law, Russell Allison, lives in Lionville. He was a member of Lionville Lutheran Church and was respected in the community.

Ibid:
SMITH- In Lionville, on April 16, 1926, John W. Smith, in the 51st year of his age.
Relatives and friends of the family are invited to attend the funeral without further notice in St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Lionville, on Monday, April 19, at 2 o’clock p.m. Interment in adjoining cemetery. Friends may call at his late residence Sunday evening.

Tombstone located at St. Paul's Lutheran Cemetery, Lionville, Chester Co., PA.
SMITH / 1875 John W. 1926 /
1891 Margaret A. 1975 /
1915 Florence L. 1915 /
1913 Warren H. 2005
2 medallions at this grave marker: WW2 Veterans medallion & Patriotic Sons of America medallion

John’s 2nd wife was Margaret Allison and tracking him through this second marriage was key to a lot of information:

!Daily Local News, June 13, 1975
Mrs. John W. Smith
Margaret Allson (sic) Smith, 84, of 12 S. Village Avenue, Lionville, wife of the late John W. Smith, died early this morning at her residence after a short illness.
Born in Bedford County, she was a daughter of the late Harris F. and Elizah Jane Croyle Allson (sic). Mrs. Smith had resided in Lionville for the past 61 years.
She was a member of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church of Lionville and the ladies auxiliary of the Lionville Fire Company.
She is survived by one son, Warren H. Smith, with whom she resided in Lionville, two daughters, Anna Jane, wife of Paul V. Dickinson of Saratoga Springs, N.Y. and Grace. Wife of J. Willis Yearsley of West Chester; five grand children and three greatgrandchildren.
Also a sister, Mrs. Jennie Claar of East Freedom, and Mrs. Ruth Reese, of Lyndell, survive.
Funeral services will be held 2 p.m. Tuesday at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, S. Village Ave., Lionville. Interment will be in St. Paul’s Cemetery.
Note: Obit spells Allson- the name should be listed as Allison.

Warren, the first child from the marriage of John and Margaret, was the last of their children to pass away. All these years I had misinformation that Warren had died in the late 1950’s (bummer!):

Daily Local News, September 10, 2005
Warren H. Smith of Lionville
Warren H. Smith, 92, of Lionville, died Thursday, Sept. 8, 2005 at Main Line Nursing Home.
Born in East Freedom, he was the son of the late John and Margaret Allison Smith.
As a child he traveled in a covered wagon to Lionville, where he resided most of his life.
Following his graduation from West Chester High School, he worked at M.S. Yearsley’s and sons of West Chester.
During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army, and he was wounded at the Battle of the Bulge.
Later, he was employed as a geologist and assayer at Bradford Quarry until retiring 27 years ago. Warren spent his retirement years again working at M.S. Yearsley’s and sons in the hardware department.
He was an excellent gardener. He was a member of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Lionville, and Mt. Pickering Lodge #446 F & AM, Upper Uwchland.
He is survived by his brother in law, J. Willis Yearsley, of West Chester, his nephews, J. Willis Yearsley III and M. Irwin Yearsley, both of West Chester, and Paul Dickinson, of Woodbridge, Va; and nieces, Susan Anderson, of Goodyear, Ariz., and Denise Yearsley of St. Pete’s Beach, Fla.
Funeral services will be held 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 13, at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Lionville. A calling time will be from 1 to 2 p.m. at the church. Interment will be in the adjoining cemetery. Memorial gifts may be made to St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 104 S. Village Avenue, Exton, Pa 19341. Arrangements are being handled by Boyd Funeral Home, Inc. 610-696-0182.

Through the SSDI (http://ssdi.rootsweb.com ):, I was able to find Warren’s birthdate SMITH, WARREN H., Birth: 08 May 1913, Death: 08 Sep 2005

Through the SSDI, I was able to find his sister Grace’s info as well: YEARSLEY, GRACE R., Birth: 25 Mar 1920, Death: 09 Feb 1993

The other sister, Anna Jane was born sometime in 1917 or 1918. She married Paul DICKINSON.

If you can add any information, I would be very grateful. Again thank you to Dan Lindley in Chester Co. for all his detective legwork! He posted the tombstone photo here: http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/pa/chester/stpaulsl.htm

Kathy Clay
ikathyc@gmail.com
4/11/2007
per page

Find a board about a specific topic