Search for content in message boards

COLLINS

Posted: 7 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Apr 2005 7:46AM GMT
Looking for parents/siblings of Susan Jane COLLINS said to have been born in Ozark Co., married Elijah HARGIS, dau. Lida (one of twins) married Charles MATNEY 1st April 1922 in Webster Co. I believe Susan died in 1959 in Webster Co. Have no info on her or Elijah. I do have some info on Matney and the children of Susan and Elijah to share if anyone is looking for the same lines.

Cora ELLIOTT m. HARGIS

Joyce Willhoit (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Asa ELLIOTT and his wife, Mary, moved to Isabella, MO after the Civil War. He was a medical doctor and practiced in Ozark County for the reminder of his life. They had four children: George b. 1858 m. Tinch EDMONDS. Flora b. 1872 m. Unknown FRIEND. Cora, a twin sister to Flora, m. a man named HARGIS. He died from injuried received in an accident at the cotton gin in Theodosia. Cora had two sons named Joe and Gay. Willie m. Hattie BOYLES. Source: "A History of Ozark County 1841-1991", pg. 173.

COLLINS/HARGIS

Edited: 19 Apr 2005 7:46AM GMT
Thank you for posting the info on Malinda "Linda" Hargiss and Cora Elliott "Hargis" in Ozark CO. Since my first post, I have discovered that Susannah Jane Collins parents were George "Cody" Collins and Emma Hannah, and that Elijah Hargis' parents were Elizabeth Matney and a Francis Hargis. I'm not sure yet how these people connect to our Hargis' at this point. Still don't know who Francis Hargis parents were, or where they came from, but I suspect Kentucky.

Thanks for sharing, though, I appreciate your taking time to answer my query.

Linda

I.D. "Nish" MAYFIELD m. Malinda "Linda" HARGIS

On 4 Mar 1873, I.D. MAYFIELD b. 1849 KY, m. (1) Malinda "LINDA" HARGISS, dau of George HARGIS & Susan BRAY. There were eleven children listed in the HARGIS household, combining the 1860/1870 Census. Three known children: William "Willie" Isaiah MAYFIELD (1874-1958) m. Susan C. TRAIL, a sister to Nancy A. Trail. Sara Melvina "Mels" MAYFIELD (1876-1960) m. (1) Benjamin F. TRAIL, a brother to Nancy & Susan TRAIL; she m. (2) William F. "Bud" GUNTER. Bud's first marriage was to Minerva "Nervy" COLLINS. George Martin "Mart" MAYFIELD (1878-1966) m. Cordelia Clementine WILLARD; later moving to Stafford County, KS and then to Burbank, OK. All three births took place in KY; presumed that Malinda died before the move to Missouri. On 30 Dec 1880 in Texas County, MO, "Nish" m. Nancy A. TRAIL. Only one of Nancy's children lived, John Nelson "Nels" MAYFIELD b. 15 Aug 1882 at Conrad, KY; m. Pearl Dorothy PARSLEY; d. 19 Apr 1943 at Oakland, CA. Source: "A History of Ozark County, 1841-1991", pg. 396.

Elisha Allen MATNEY

Posted: 20 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Elisha Allen MATNEY b. circa 1830 in Bartholomew County, IND; son of Uriah MATNEY & Nancy Ann DAVID. Uriah d. 1832 IN. Nancy Ann brought the children to Caroll County, AR where they were living in the 1860 cenus of that county. Elisha (age 20), his brother, Henry MATNEY(age 17), his sister, Nancy ANN (15), and Mahulda (age 13). Circa 1854, Elisha MATNEY m.(1) Josephine LEE; dau of Joseph & Nancy LEE. A dau, Mahulda MATNEY b. 1855. They were living in Hazelwood, Webster County, MO in 1860 census. Mahulda MATNEY m. Ambrose ROY circa 1880; she d. 1889 OK. Elisha m. (2) Mary Ann SCARBROUGH, dau of James SCARBROUGH & Martha CORBIN circa 1862. They were found in the 1870 Census, Douglas County, MO. Children: (1) Martha Ann MATNEY b. 12 Oct 1863; in 1880 she m. Patrick E. MARTIN. (2) Uriah James MATNEY b. 5 Oct 1864; in 1882 he m. Alice Ann McMAHON. (3) Sarah Ann MATNEY b. 1867; in 1900 she m. Jack LAW. (4) Henry Calvin MATNEY b. May 1870; m. Mary Ann MATNEY; dau of Isiah MATNEY & Martha June HARMON. (5) William MATNEY, born/died 1874. (6) Ambrose Bedford MATNEY b. 1877; he m. Nancy Ellen EVANS. (7) Thomas REED b. 1880; in 1904, he m. Emma EVANS. Elisha moved his family to Ambrose, Ozark County, after 1870. They were in Ozark County when Mary Ann (Scarbrough) MATNEY d. 30 May 1890. In the 1890s, Elisha m. (3) Martha Jane (Harmon) MATNEY, widow of Isaiah MATNEY. Elisa was the brother of Nancy Ann (Matney, Smith, Green) WILSON. Elisa d. 30 May 190l and is buried in Ozark County. Source: "A History of Ozark County, 1841-1991", pg. 364-365.

Nancy Ann MATNEY

Posted: 20 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Nancy Ann MATNEY b. Oct 1834 in Fayette, Orange County, IN; dau of Uriah MATNEY & Nancy Ann DAVID. Listed in 1850 Census, Carroll County, AR. Nancy Ann (Matney) m.(1) WIlliam J. SMITH in Carroll County, AR. A son, William Jarden SMITH b. 1855 AR. Family moved to MO between 1855-1859. A dau, Mahulda SMITH, b. 1859.William deserted his wife & children and Nancy Ann is listed in 1860 Census, Finley, Wright County Mo living with her mother, Nancy Ann, and her second husband, Stephen MATNEY. Her mother had married a brother of her first husband, Uriah MATNEY. Nancy Ann (Matney) SMITH m. (2) George W. GREEN in Douglas County, MO, circa 1863. In 1865, their firstborn son died at birth. Another son, George Washington GREEN, b. 7 Dec 1867. George SR. died shortly after the baby's birth. In 1870, Nancy Ann (Matney, Smith) GREEN m.(3) James "Charley" WILSON. Two children: Andrews WILSON b. 1871 and Millie WILSON b. 1872, Wright County, MO. In 1870, William Jarden SMITH, (Nancy's first son) m. Nancy Elizabeth DAVIS and moved to Ozark County. Their children were: Carlina; Mary; Martha; Sarah; Janie; Cora; Hattie; Martin; Henry; and Isome. Nancy Ann's daughter, Mahulda SMITH, m.(1) Unknown LOW. On 3 Aug 1888 she m.(2) James B. STRONG; son of James STRONG & Rutha Jane UPTON. Nancy's Ann's third child, George Washington GREEN, m. Nancy Jane STRONG on 25 Sep 1885 in Gainesville. Four children: Rosa Vandala GREEN; Ramsey GREEN; Pheba Ann GREEN; and General Sherman GREEN. Little is known of what happened to the WILSON children. In the 1900 census of Ozark County, Nancy Ann (Matney, Smith, Green) WILSON was living with her brother, Uriah MATNEY, and his wife Alice in Richland Twonship. The date of her death & the place is unknown, but stories have been told that she lived to be 107 years old. Source: "A History of Ozark County, 1841-1991", pg. 608-609.
Posted: 23 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Aug 2003 11:03AM GMT
Susannah Jane Collins who married Elish/Elias Hargis, in Ozark County, MO was the daughter of George Ann & Sarah Emmaline Hannah Collins. Her siblings were Martha Rebecca Collins who married John Cochran, Shelton Abel Collins who married Samantha Anveline Robinson, Stella O. Collins m. George William Coble, Anna Arlene Collins, m. Richard Arthur Ingram, Wilson Collins died as an infant, Alice Arminda Collins, m. James William Yocham, Bert Willis Collins, m. Celeste Paul & Bertha Russell, George Precious Collins, died as a toddle, Amos & Famos Collins, died as infants, Bessie Belle Collins & Chester Arthur. George Collins nicked named "Cody" Collins was a mail carrier between Pottersville & West Plains, in Howell County, MO & Sycamore, Ozark Co., MO. He delivered mail to those areas for about 30 years prior to his death 04 Feb 1930. His older daughters & their families each lived for a time in Ozark Co. After Cody stopped delivering mail into that area the families eventually moved into Howell Co. Cody & Emma Collins lived at Pottersville & at West Plains.
Posted: 12 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2002 12:36AM GMT
Surnames: COLLINS
I have nothing on your COLLINS of Ozark Co MO, but I do lookup's in neighboring Howell Co MO and just had a query on Collins & Hopkins of Ozark Co & Howell Co from darlene@adweb.net. You might want to contact her - tell her I sent you.
Darleen Hardin Nave

Posted: 9 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 May 2002 8:05PM GMT
Surnames: collins
Do you know of William Hester Collins who also was purported to have been a postman in Howell County or his son Lev R.Collins who lived in Ozark and Howell Counties?

COLLINS

Posted: 10 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Tannehill, Duggins, Strange, Magee
From the book, "A History of Ozark County 1841-1991", pg. 102:

Alva Corder COLLINS b. 27 Jul 1920 at Harshorne, OK; son of Ed and Mattie COLLINS. The family lived at Hartshorne until the spring of 1936 when they moved to Orange Cove, CA. Corder m. Reba TANNEHILL on 7 Jun 1930. They lived at Orange Cove until 1943. Corder moved to Ontario and then to Van Nuys, CA, where Corder worked for the City of Los Angeles.

Reba Voneta TANNEHILL b. 17 May 1921 at Ocie, Ozark County; dau of Jessie H. TANNEHILL (b. 2 Sep 1889 at Ocie) and Allie DUGGINS b. 27 Jul 1891 at Osie. Reba is the granddaughter of Jessie Alfred TANNEHILL and Miriah STRANGE of Ocie and Paten V. DUGGINS and Lucy Ann MAGEE of Ocie. Their farm was on Big Creek.

Children:
1. Wanda Louise m. Larry DeLOZIER
2. Darrell Dean m. Barbara CONNOLLY
3. Alvin Ernest m. Gina MANFRADONIA
4. Richard Wayne m. Ellen (no surname given)
5. Darla Jean m. Steve MAPLE
--information submitted by their children, Darrell, Ernie, Rick, and Darla
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions