Search for content in message boards

Primrose Cemetery

Primrose Cemetery

Posted: 30 Jan 2003 2:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Mar 2003 2:50AM GMT
Surnames: Roberts, Williams
I am looking for information about Primrose Cemetery and Baptist Church. It is my understanding that my ancestor, Johnson Marcus Roberts, donated the land just before his death in 1886. Can anybody give me any information about this church and cemetery?

Any help would be appreciated.
Alice

Re: Primrose Cemetery

Julie Hahn (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2003 2:58PM GMT
Alice, Primrose Cemetery and Primrose Church (there may be another but this is the only one I know about) sits halfway between Desoto MO and Bonne Terre MO on the Jefferson/St. Francois County Line on Hyw E. It is very much still an active Church. The cemetery sits on top of the Hill. You can see it from the road. The address is Primrose Baptist Church, 9308 HWY E, Bonne Terre, Mo 63628. Telephone # is 573-358-2648. Perhaps you might get some information from them.

Re: Primrose Cemetery/Church [photos attached]

Posted: 2 Mar 2003 7:56PM GMT
Surnames: Roberts, Rawson, Holdman, Pratte, Cole, Moon, Blackwell,
Alice,
What kind of information are you wanting on the Primrose Church? I know that it was originally called the Baptist Christian Temperance Mission. At the time Johnson Roberts came here, the Primrose district was considered Washington County, however, when boundry lines later changed to was split up among St. Francois, Jefferson and Washington counties. My information also indicates that Johnson M. Roberts who originally settled the tract later named "Primrose District" donated the land on which the church and cemetery are situated just before his death in 1886. The large lake at Lake Timberline is called "Primrose Lake". Johnson and his wife Permelia (nee Cole) are both buried in the Primrose Cemetery. I'm attaching to this post photos I took a couple of years ago of the Church and Cemetery which I thought you might like to have. My grandmother, Carrie (Blackwell) Jones, was baptised in the creek which runs between the Primrose Church and the Cemetery, and my father was born at Primrose in 1918. According to an article contained in the book Pioneers of St. Francois County (do you have this?), the remnants of the original homestead house were torn down in 1971 to make way for the Lake Timberline Resort and, as a result, most of original Roberts farm is now underwater. I descend from the Blackwell's of Blackwell Station, however, as I'm sure you know, many of the Moons, Blackwells and Coles married into families of the Primrose District (i.e. Rawsons, Roberts, Holdmans, Prattes, etc.). In fact, my great-great-grandfather's first wife was a Deborah Roberts who he married in 1859. I have not been able to connect her with Johnson and Permalia's line, however. She was not old enough to have been one of their daughters, and none of Johnson's sons would have been old enough to have had a child of that age either. Is it possible that Johnson had a brother whose family lived in this area that she might have been connected to? There is a Deborah A. Roberts listed in the Pioneers of St. Francois County book at page 40 as a child of Johnson M. & Permelia Roberts, but her birthdate is given as 1849 and her death date as 1851. To add to the confusion, there's a "Debby" Roberts, age 10, listed in the 1870 census for Valle Township in Jefferson County as living with the family of Aquilla Blackwell (who was a brother of my g-g-grandfather, James S. Blackwell). There's also a possibility that she may be connected to the Henry Roberts family who was a neighbor of Johnson Roberts' family but was no relation to them, but I'm not sure that she fits in there either. I have not been able to locate a date of death or a burial site for the Deborah Roberts who married my great-great grandfather, James Sylvester Blackwell. Any help you could give me on this would sure be appreciated.

Also, let me know exactly what type of information you're looking for on the Primrose Church/Cemetery and I'll see what I can find. Thanks!
B, (Jones) Warner

Attachments:

Alice Viviano (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2003 12:37AM GMT
Surnames: Roberts, Cole
Thank you so much for the photographs! I am hoping to make it down there this summer to get some pictures of my own. I just really wanted to confirm the information that I had was correct re: Johnson donating the land for the church. Please let me know where I can get that book (Pioneers of St. Francois County). It sounds like something I might want to add to my collection. Unfortunately I don't think I can help you with Deborah. Besides the daughter of Permelia and Johnson, the only other Deborah was Johnson's mother. Her name was Deborah Kimberline and was married to John Roberts. She married a William Jones, but died around 1821. I don't have any information regarding Johnson's siblings except for a D.S. Roberts who married Cassandra Turley. I don't think that they had a daughter named Deborah though. Do you know if Primrose cemetery has any diagrams or maps of their cemetery and who is buried there or do we just go walk around and try to find the plots? Is it very big? Thanks again for the pictures.

Posted: 5 Mar 2003 1:54AM GMT
Alice,
I don't know that the Pioneers book is for sale. All I have is photocopies I made from the book at the Park Hills library. Also, I'll check to see if there's a listing for Primrose Cemetery in the latest St. Francois County Cemetery book (Vol 4). I know they got to the letter "P" because Parkview is included but it's such a huge cemetery, I don't know if they got to Primrose or not. Other than that, I would think that the church surely has some records since that's the same church that's been there for years, and many of their members are buried there. If I come up with any more pictures, I'll pass them on to you. I was thinking that maybe I took pictures of some of the Roberts graves too, but they may still be on my old computer which I have sitting over in the corner of my room. I never did get all my stuff off of it when I bought my new computer last summer. I'll check and see what I can find. Primrose is not a very big cemetery so you won't have any trouble at all covering it in a relatively short period of time. You might want to write or call the Primrose Baptist Church ahead of time to see if there are any records. The address is 9308 Highway E, Bonne Terre, MO 63628; Phone: 573-358-2648. Also, Boyer's Funeral Home in Bonne Terre might have some information on who is buried where since I believe they still bury people there occasionally. The address and phone number for Boyer's Funeral home is: 313 Benham Street, Bonne Terre, MO 63628; 573-358-2277. If I come up with any further information, I'll certainly pass it along to you.
Bettye

P.S. If you send me your mailing address by private e-mail, I'll be glad to photocopy what I have and send it to you. E-mail me at bkwofc@i1.net .

James S. Blackwell, Eliza Metts or Metz, Deborah Roberts

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 4:32AM GMT
Hi BW,

I am trying to fine who James S. Blackwell's parents. James was my great great grandfather. He was married to Deborah Roberts and then second married to Eliza Metts or Metz. Any information about them. Also, I have a photo of James and Eliza Blackwell's tombstone. James died on Sept. 18, 1920

Re: James S. Blackwell, Eliza Metts or Metz, Deborah Roberts

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 1:42PM GMT
Surnames: Blackwell, Cummins, Whaley,
Deborah,
James S. Blackwell (my 3rd-great-grandfather) who was married to Deborah Roberts and later Eliza Metts/Metz was the first-born son of William Blackwell and Elizabeth Cummins. He was the grandson of Jeremiah Blackwell and Elizabeth (Whaley) Blackwell. They are all buried at the old family cemetery at Blackwell, Missouri. I have pictures of their stones if you'd like copies. I descend through James S. Blackwell's marriage to Eliza, however, we've always wondered about Deborah Roberts and have never been able to find out any information on her death or where she might be buried. Do you know?
Bettye

Re: James S. Blackwell, Eliza Metts or Metz, Deborah Roberts

Posted: 7 Apr 2004 10:08PM GMT
Surnames: Blackwell, Roberts
Wonder do you have Deborah Robert's deathdate? I have Deborah Robert's husband James S. Blackwell's obituary, do you need copy of this? I can send you a copy, please let me know.

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 11:51AM GMT
Bettye,
Several families in my ancestry migrated from KY/TN to
the Primrose community, and until this morning, I thought certain that some are buried behind the church. Your post,that the land for the church and the cemetery was deeded to the church, in 1886 now sends me in a different direction, for the ancestor for whom I am searching for a gravesite
died b/4 the land was deeded. Have checked Adams Cemetery on Berry Road, where my Grandparents and Great Grandparents are buried, but have not yet located burial sites for 2nd
and 3rd Greatgranparents. If not buried in Primrose, Adams, Adams in Franclay, Bonne Terre, where is it more likely they are buried, if deaths occurred 1867-1885? I just can't imagine that they would cart a body back to Ky or Tn for burial. One random thought: do you know of any records listing burials in Adams on Berry Rd, where there
was no headstone, or where the headstones midht have been vandalized, or destroyed by the elements?

Thank you for the info about the Primrose land deed.

Warm regards

Darryl Lawson

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 2:34PM GMT
Darryl, what are the names of the grandparents you're looking for?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic