Search for content in message boards

Carroll ancestors

Carroll ancestors

Virginia Atwood (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2000 9:16AM GMT
I am trying to trace my family tree; I am tracing the male lineage, although I would be interested in any relatives. Working backwards from my grandfather, Robert Henderson Carroll, his father Minor David Carroll, Thomas William Carroll, Matthew Carroll, who was probably born in York County, south Carolina, died 1 Sept., 1842 in Saline County, ARK, and was married to Margareth Ann (last name unknown). I think Matthew's father was Thomas Carroll who probably was born in Ireland; he died 14 Oct., 1829 in York Co. S.C.; he was married to Esther. Thomas's father was Joseph Carroll, and his father was John Carroll. I am looking for verification on the last three: Thomas, Joseph, and John. Can anyone help?

Carroll ancestors

Posted: 15 Apr 2000 7:00AM GMT
Edited: 9 Apr 2002 3:15PM GMT
It appears that your ancestors are the York group of Carroll's which are extensively listed at the Downing/Carroll Kinfolk Website at http://members.aol.com/bgandy007/genealgy/index.html
Contact me if you have any questions regarding verification, etc.
Max

Carroll family

Virginia A. Atwood (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2000 11:17AM GMT
I have examined the site http://members.aol.com/bgandy007/genealgy/index.html and the quotes from Thomas M. Carroll's book. Are you (Max) the author? Is the Thomas M. Carroll Thomas Matthew Carroll? Other than his book, who did you get your information on his ancestors, expectially Joseph and John Carroll (i.e., did you find records, visit cemeteries, etc). I would very much like to verify relationships since I have found that there were MANY Thomas and Matthew Carrolls. Also, at least one source lists Thomas Carroll's father, grand-father, and great-grand-father as Joseph Carroll. Another source I found list Thomas, Joseph, then John. Do you have evidence to support either of these? I also would like very much to find information on the date the first of these Carroll's came to North America, date, ship, from and to which port. Any information on that?

Carroll family

Posted: 15 Apr 2000 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 9 Apr 2002 3:15PM GMT
The Thomas M. Carroll you mention in regards to the book was Thomas Marion Carroll. Most of my info was obtained by visits to York SC researching wills, land deeds, and cemetery records. Many early Carrolls are buried at Bethany ARP Cemetery in York with many tombstones in surprisingly good shape considering the age. Also I have obtained info from court records found in Mecklenberg County (near Charlotte NC). I have made copies of early Carroll wills and some other information. The individual Joseph Carroll (the son of John first listed on the Carroll Website) is quite well documented. I and others have been working without much success yet in documenting info when the Carrolls were in Chester Co. PA and Tyrone Co. IR. Many of the early Carrolls are also mentioned in the narrative about the Battle of Kings Mountain (Hucks Defeat) which I also have a copy of. By the way, my direct line begins with James Carroll m Sarah Miller Nesbitt with this family moving to the Gwinnett/Dekalb area of GA. Some tentative research that is NOT YET documented suggests that the first John Carroll was originally from the Argyl region of Scotland. The actual website was put together by James Downing with many contributors along the way. We have made numerous updates and changes over the years as you well know very early facts and dates can be wrong. Jim welcomes any new facts and corrections. Please feel free to contact me directly at my address at maxcarroll@hotmail.com

My great grandfather

Kathleen Carroll Lowe (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2000 6:04PM GMT
I am a beginner geneologist looking for my Great Grandfather's parents, brothers, or anything I can get. I have found only a birthdate from a 1900 census report of October 1850. He was born in New Brunswick, Canada and so were his parents. I believe before that, the family came from Ireland. He lived in Wisconsin (Bayfield) at the time of the census and was married to Julia McDonald. The census reports them having three children. I only know of one, who was my grandmother, Wilhamina Carroll Whalen, who also died when my father was very young. Any help would be appreciated. Good luck in your search. Thank you. You may contact me at kate.den@juno.com.

Pennsylvania Carrolls

Posted: 2 May 2000 11:53AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 10:17AM GMT
Max, I am one of those seeking info on PA Carrolls. My ggrandmother was Anna Carroll of Philly? Since Philly and Chester are very near each other perhaps I am searching in the wrong place. I know Anna Carroll married Patrick Dunn in Philly and had 5 (out of 9) children who survived: Kate, Helen, Thomas, Mary and Anna. They were living in Philly when Anna Sr. died approximately 1913 in child birth. My grandmother was 5. I know that Anna Sr. had relatives living on 5100 block of Master St. and 5100 block of Harlan Street when Anna Sr. died. There was also family at 4995 1/2 Girard Avenue which is across the street from Our Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church and Cathedral Cemetery, commonly called Old Cathedral Cemetery since there is a new one. I know Anna had several sisters, that I actually met. Mary, called Mame, lived with my grandmother at 5141 Harlan in West Philly sometime between 1953 and 1960 when I was very young. She was a laundress who contracted severe arthritis from a mosquito bite and came to live with my grandmother. She eventuall;y became too ill and was forced to be hospitalized. There was also Julia, called Jules. I don't know what happened to her. They are connected to the Mauer family. We believe that Anna's father was Denis Carrol be 5/1830 in Ireland who married a Hannah. In addition to Mary and Julia, there were other children, Margaret b. 1868, Thomas b 1870 in PA, Joseph b 1874, Denis Jr. b 11/1882 PA., Hannah b 10/1880 in PA plus unknown children. It is Margaret who married Willie Mauer and had 2 known children, William Jr b 4/1890 and John b 8/1894.

Please let me know if there is a connection because this is my dead end. Thanks. Thomasina

Carrolls of PA

Posted: 13 May 2000 9:19PM GMT
Edited: 24 Apr 2003 3:28PM GMT
Thomasina,
Did you ever think of getting Anna's death certificate from when she died in child birth. It will mention who her parents were and possibly where they were born. I have a Pierce J. Carroll who was born in Baltimore, Md. I don't know who he married. He had at least 1 child a son George Benjamin Percival McClellan Carroll b: June 05, 1862 in Baltimore, Md.- May 14, 1949 in Mt. Holly, NJ. I don't know if there were any other children as of yet born to Pierce J. Carroll. George Benjamin Percival McClellan Carroll came up from Baltimore to Mt. Holly, NJ at the age of 14 yrs old. George married Ella Herter between 1886 and 1893. George and Ella had 13 children, I only have 9 out of thirteen. They are Ida, Margaret, Martin, Blanche, Frank, Francis, Joseph b: Jan. 5, 1904 - d: Dec. 12, 1969, Alexander b: Nov. 3, 1908 - d: June 1954 and Gertrude Marie b: Jan. 30, 1894 - d: Oct. 22, 1982. Gertrude (my great-grandmother was born in the middle of the thirteen children. sadly, I don't know who the other 4 were. I am wondering if there might be a connction. I do know that either Frank or Francis lived in Milford, De.
Most of the family lived on Church St. in Mt. Holly, NJ.

Carrolls of PA

Posted: 14 May 2000 12:13AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 10:17AM GMT
Yes, I did think of getting her death certificate, but no one seems to know the exact date. But I'm still looking! Thanks.

Carrolls of PA

Posted: 14 May 2000 4:11PM GMT
Edited: 24 Apr 2003 3:28PM GMT
You can still send for her death certificate even if you only have the month and year.Good Luck!

edward bellevue carroll

peggy carroll young (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2000 1:58PM GMT
Hi!,

Do you have any information on edward bellevue carroll, b. Ulster, Ireland came to Mobile, AL at age of 13. I am trying to find any info on his parents, and siblings, but do not have any names. Edward lived in Greene County, MS and Mobile during the 1870's. He probably arrived during the 1860's. Thanks. Peggy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions