Search for content in message boards

Henry Plummer 1835-1852?

Henry Plummer 1835-1852?

Posted: 13 May 2011 4:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 May 2011 4:59AM GMT
Surnames: Plummer
Just wondering if there are any Plummer family historians on the board who could help me out.

I have a marriage record of my Great Great Aunt Annie Limer who married a Thomas Plumber in Launceston in 1854

'Ann Ellen LIMER m Thomas PLUMMER 24 Aug 1854 24/22yrs L'ton #942 At St Matthias, Windermere. He is ship builder, witnesses Henry Plummer and Emma Limer;

I would like to think that Thomas is part of the shipbuilding Plummer family, as the dates, location and occupation are right. Although according to a lot of the trees on Ancestry.com, the Henry Plummer from that family died in 1852.

Anne Limer is mentioned in these same trees as being married into the Plumber family, its possibly a transcription issue at my end, but I don't want to proceed until I sort it out.

As usual a rambling massage, bu any help would be beneficial.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Henry Plummer 1835-1852?

Posted: 13 May 2011 11:34PM GMT
Hi Paul,
Please remember that ALOT of trees on Ancestry REALLY means ONE Tree that ALOT of people copied.
I had a look and ALL of those trees are exact copies of each other and ALL incorrect...
If you check Tas Archives http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=8 you will find completely different info to the trees.
Henry PLUMMER married in 1860 so unlikely he died in 1852.

Kellie

Posted: 14 May 2011 3:30AM GMT
Hi Paul,
After my first message I was contacted by someone who stated "If Henry died 1852 how could he marry in 1860?"
So I dig some more digging and if you check TROVE you will find many mentions of Henry and his family both before and after 1852.
There is a death notice for his sister Mary in 1881 (notice trees have her death as 1871) which states she was youngest daughter of George PLUMMER and she died at Henry's home..
Thomas's wifes death is also reported.
Way too many to link to but am sure you will find them.

Kellie

Posted: 14 May 2011 10:58AM GMT
Thanks Kellie,

your input is always appreciated.

Yes, now that I'm delving deeper into the family tree I have discovered a few inconsistencies with the trees on Ancestry. Its to easy to link to a mistake and have that sitting there. My hope was that the message would be read by somebody who has done research via the primary documents.

It would make sense that a shipbuilder called Plummer in Launceston would be related to the Plummer shipbuilding family, but without looking at the indexes or primary documents, I couldn't be absolutely sure. Truth be told I didn't check the Colonial Tasmanian Family Links in the first place. Ive been bitten before with people living in the same city, with the same name, but being different people.

Ive been going through Trove over the last few months with great success and am starting to build a picture of Launceston in the late 1800's. Particularly the shipping community.Yes there's is a wealth of information on the Plummers, particularly in 1954:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article27242980

Now that I am happy I have a concrete connection, I'll continue.

Cheers,

Paul

per page

Find a board about a specific topic