Search for content in message boards

James "Jim" Smart 1869- 1942 and children of Franklin Parish

James "Jim" Smart 1869- 1942 and children of Franklin Parish

Posted: 5 Dec 2006 11:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shaver,Burns ,Rowe,Davis
Jim Smart lived in Ward 9 and probably spent most of his life there he is buried in Odgen Cemetary he and wife Betty had 7 children or more .Believe I know who his parents were and wonder if any descendents live still in the area.

Re: James "Jim" Smart 1869- 1942 and children of Franklin Parish

Posted: 5 Aug 2007 12:05AM GMT
Hi My name is Martha Hodges, if I have my information right this James is the Father of my G-Aunt Mattie Lee Smart-Hodges. Mattie has children out here in Ca.

If this is right I could get more info to you and connect you to Matties Dau. Betty.
Martha

Posted: 5 Aug 2007 3:29PM GMT
Martha
Thanks so much ,I believe you are right about your Mattie. I am from the Shaver family .Adeline Shaver my grgrandfather's sister married Samuel Smart in Jan 1852 their family is listed on the 1870 Claiborne Parish census,and after that we lose track of them their daughter Callie married James Howard we think and on the 1900 Franklin Parish census there is a M.A.Smart living with her daughter Callie Howard and son James Smart .I think this James died in 1942 and I know most of his family moved to California I tried to contact some of them but got no answer .Myself and a couple of descendents of this Callie Smart Howard would like to know if they have any knowledge of the Smart family ancestor Adeline Shaver Smart she had 8 children on that 1870 census but I have not found any of them. would appreciate any help my email is jryellott@centurytel.net

Posted: 6 Aug 2007 1:11PM GMT
Surnames: Smart, Howard, Wyles, Franks, Bostian
James Howard, son of Callie and James Samuel Howard married my Aunt Belle. None of their children moved to California. Elsie Mae Howard Robinson was the only one I knew well and she lived and died in Franklin Parish. My mother, Amanda Elizabeth, was the youngest daughter of Callie and James Howard. She married Alvie Alonzo Wyles. Callie and James also had a son Samuel (died before marriage age) and a daughter, Adelaid.
If your James had children that went to California, then this is not them, I don't think. Check my web page at http://wyles.freehomepage.com

Posted: 6 Aug 2007 1:14PM GMT
Would be interested in any information on Jim and Betty Smart you have.

Posted: 6 Aug 2007 2:03PM GMT
Hi, Thank you for your reply, but I was actually talking about James Smart's child Mattie Lee Smart. Mattie Married my G-Uncle Earnest Aby Hodges and moved to Ca. in the late 1930's From Franklin Parish, La.
Martha

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 7:39PM GMT
My Ggrandfather was Jim Smart from Liddieville, La. Married to Bettie ? Smart. My Grandfather was Luther Smart, Jim & Bettie's 3rd child. Mattie Lee was Jim & Bettie's 5th child born around 1912. I cannot find any info on my gggrandfather, Jim's father. Maybe you can help.

Thanks,
Wayne Smart

Posted: 2 Apr 2008 11:54AM GMT
Surnames: Smart, Wyles, Howard, Bostian, Franks
I have a M. A. Smart (60 yrs.old) living in Franklin Parish in 1900 census. Abiding with this head of household was a son John born about 1873 and a daughter Calley Delone (Howard) and her three children. I understand that this Smart family had a lot of children. I have heard of a Luther Smart and a Mack Smart from around that time also living in Franklin Parish. If any of these names ring a bell I would love to hear from you. This is my brick wall because the census says that M. A. Smart was born in Texas and I forgot to see if they were male or female. My father wrote in the family bible that a Mary Rogers was a grandmother to someone. As I know all my fathers ancestry it would have to be my mother's grandmother and maybe the M. A. Smart that was head of household in 1900 since one of the Howard children living there was my mother. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 4 Apr 2008 8:12PM GMT
I found recently that Betty Smart, Jim Smart's wife's name was Elizabeth Jones Smart(nickname Betty) and Jim's name was Samuel James Smart. Jim was his nickname. Luther Smart was my grandfather and Mack Smart was his brother. Uncle Mack's family lives in California. I am trying to find evidence that Jim's dad was Samuel W. Smart born in La. around 1827. Some facts seem to fit. Samuel W. had a sister named Susan. Susan Smart married Buckner T. Smart in 1864. That's right, a Smart married a Smart. On Jim Smart's death certificate is listed Buck Smart, father. However there is no evidence that Buckner Smart had a son named Jim. Maybe some facts that you have might help.

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 4:31PM GMT
I am wondering is this family is connected to "my" Smart family? My ggrandmother was Alma Smart Johnston, who was married to William Silas Johnston. her sister Georgia was married to Tommy Horne. These are all Franklin Parish families. Thanks! Deb Storch at g mail dot com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic