Search for content in message boards

GRIDGEMAN in West Walton

GRIDGEMAN in West Walton

Posted: 17 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jan 2011 1:26PM GMT
Surnames: Gridgeman, Elmer, Fenton, Nowell, Coopers
I am searching for any information on George Gridgeman son of Simon Gridgeman who married Sarah Elmer in West Walton on 15 October 1838. Sarah's father was William Elmer. Their son James William Gridgeman married Mary Anne Fenton in 1878. Mary Anne's father was John Fenton, born about 1820, son of Thomas, and her mother was Sarah Nowell, daughter of Thomas Nowell and Mary Coopers.
The Gridgemans seem quite elusive people and appear on very few records so I would be delighted to hear of anyone at all of that name.
Thanks
Irene

Re: GRIDGEMAN in West Walton

Natalie Kay-Hall (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2011 1:28PM GMT
Surnames: Gridgeman, Fenton
Irene, in response to your request for information and to hear form any one with the surname Gridgeman, I am a direct decendand of the Grideman family living in New Zealand. We still have family with the Gridgeman surname living in the south Island. We would like to exchange information. James Gridgeman married Mary Ann Fenton and they had nine children. ONE name I do not have at the moment but other nine are as follows: George, Jim, Emma, William, Sarah Lizzie, Rose Ann or Roseann (both correct), Jack and Sam. Have lots more!

andy Stimson (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2001 8:56PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2011 1:28PM GMT
Surnames: Stimson
My grandfather was called Harold Gridgeman Stimson and lived in Wisbech. He was born in 1898 and died in 1982. I am unsure how his middle name originated - can anyone shed any light on this please ?

Re: Gridgeman in West Walton

Posted: 21 Aug 2001 12:13AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2011 1:29PM GMT
Hi Irene, I'm hoping you will see this. Sorry I haven't replied to your last e-mail. We recently moved and have been buzy. I would still like to exchange information wilth you regarding the Gridgemans. Thanks for the information to date.

My brother has recently established contact with Gridgeman's in Canada who still have living relatives in England. Understandably we are very excited about this.

It looks as though there are Gridgemans in New Zealnd, Canada and England. Any more, any where else?

Hoping to hear from you soon!

Posted: 21 Aug 2001 12:40AM GMT
So good to someone else interested in the Gridgemans.

My family are decendants of James Girdgeman born abt 1845 Parsondrove England who married Mary Ann Fenton born abt 1847 New Wasoken England on the 15th of December 1869 at Wisbech. They had 9 children.

We have alway been told anyone with the Gridgeman name is related.

I wondered if the name Gridgeman was given as middle name to stop the name being lost. Maybe a Gridgeman daughter married a Stimson.

I am not sure but the infomation we have is that the name Gridgeman came from Germany but was changed when they left Germany. The spelling of the name was quite different. Possibles are Grizman or Greesman or someting like it. This information was given to my brother from Dorothy Smith nee Gridgeman living in NZ.

Any thing to add?

Posted: 28 Feb 2002 6:15PM GMT
Edited: 22 Dec 2002 3:31PM GMT

Gridgeman

Posted: 30 Jun 2002 9:16AM GMT
My name is Alan John Gridgeman I am from the New Zealand Gridgeman's My father's name is Ronald George Gridgeman, Dothorthy Smith nee Gridgeman is my fathers sister.
I have been under the impression that there were no more of us out there apart from my immediate family. I will check back with my family in NZ and post further imformation as it comes to hand.
ps I am now living in England as of this year.

Re: Gridgeman Family

Posted: 16 Apr 2005 11:57AM GMT
Surnames: Gridgeman and Elmer
Hello Natalie, I am interested in the Gridgeman's as James was Married to Sarah Elmer. She was my gr grandfather's sister. I have already been in touch with Irene Bell who has been very busy moving . I would like to know more about the Gridgemans in New Zealand. Thanks Karen

Posted: 21 Jan 2011 3:01AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2011 1:27PM GMT
Surnames: Gridgeman
Hi
I am Sharron from Timaru New Zealand.
My mother was Winnifred Laura Gridgeman Before she married George Smith. My Grandfather was Jack Gridgeman and I too have heard stories of Mary Ann Fenton and her 9 children. We also have photos of them all.
I also have been told of the spelling of the name change after the war

Sharron

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 5:02AM GMT
My name is Anthony fenton, my father is Roy fenton and his father is george jesse fenton, son of george James fenton son of James W Gridgehurst, i too have heard the myth we are of german decent but looking back to simon gridgeman from the 1700's i fail to see how this is true, can anyone shed any light on this?? oh and hello distant rellies:)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions