Search for content in message boards

Hares from 1066 to 1720

Hares from 1066 to 1720

Posted: 24 Feb 2010 5:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hare
Introduction:

My goal is to trace the Hare family from America to England on this site. In England, we may have a connection to the the House of Harcourt, the Hare Baronets and the Earls of Listowel.

I. Sir John Hare and the House of Harcourt:

Sir John Hare, an M.P. in the 14th century, claimed to be a scion of the House of Harcourt, a Norman family descended from the Viking Bernard the Dane and named after its seigneurie of Harcourt in Normandy, France.

Cousins to William II, Duke of Normandy, through the De Crepon sisters, Duvelina and Gunnora, the Harcourts came with William to conquer England in 1066.

Sir John's most well known descendant, Sir Nicholas Hare of Bruisyard, Suffolk, was an M.P. for Downton, Wiltshire in 1529. He had three sisters, who were married to M.P.s., and a brother, John Hare, who may have also been an M.P.

II. Sir Nicholas Hare and the Hare Baronets:

In 1530, Sir Nicholas appeared for the defense in the case against Cardinal Wolsey. He was knighted in 1538, elected Speaker of the House of Commons in 1539, and assigned the manor at Bruisyard by Henry VIII the same year. Sir Nicholas was then appointed Master of the Rolls and Keeper of the Great Seal in 1553 until his death in 1557. In 1554, Sir Nicholas rose to fame presiding over the trial of Sir Nicholas Throckmorton accused of siding in the Wyatt's rebellion against the marriage of Queen Mary I to Philip II of Spain.

The same year of his appointment, Sir Nicholas purchased the Stow Bardolph estate in the English county of Norfolk near King's Lynn. Later, the Hare family constructed Stow Hall in 1589. From this estate, his great-grandson, Sir Ralph Hare, an M.P. in Norfolk, was created 1st Baronet of Stow Bardolph, a Baronetage of England, in 1641. Two Baronetages of the United Kingdom, Baronets of Stow Hall, were also created in 1808 and 1905. The title is currently held by the 7th Baronet of Stow Hall.

In 1557, Sir Nicholas died in Chancery Lane and was buried in Temple Church, London. Bruisyard was given to his daughter, Anne, who married Thomas Rouse of Henham, in whose family the house still remains. Hare Court, in the south bay window of the new Inner Temple Hall, takes its name from Sir Nicholas when a nephew of Sir Nicholas, also named Nicholas Hare, entered chambers there and rebuilt many of the buildings in 1567. In 1678, Hare Court and the original buildings were destroyed in a fire but were quickly rebuilt and exist today.

III. Hugh Hare and the Barons Coleraine:

Upon his father's death, Hugh Hare was fortunate in two ways.

First, his mother, Margaret Crouch, the second wife of John Hare, became the third wife of Henry Montagu, 1st Earl of Manchester. Hugh married Lucy Montagu from Henry's first wife, Catherine Spencer. Margaret is known as the mother of Charles Montagu, Earl of Halifax.

Second, Hugh became quite wealthy thanks to his great uncle, Sir Nicholas Hare. In 1625, Hugh purchased the manor at Tottenham, including Lordship House which was renamed Bruce Castle, and later Longford Castle. With his lands and good marriage, Hugh received an Irish peerage, Lord Coleraine, that same year.

Unfortunately, Hugh would lose much of his wealth and pretty Longford Castle to Parliamentary forces during the Restoration. Hugh was on the wrong side of the English Civil War as a supporter of Charles I. His male heirs did not survive past three generations.

IV. The Hares of Docking Hall and Herstmonceaux Castle:

The Hares of Docking Hall, also from this line, display the Hare family coat of arms with the Hare motto "Noll Altum Sapere Sed Time"... "Do Not Be Proud But Fear," in stained glass at the west side entrance of Docking Hall as well as family tombs at the Hare church in Docking, Norfolk. Francis Hare, Bishop of Chichester and chaplain to Queen Anne, inherited Herstmonceaux Castle from his wife, Bethia Naylor.

His great-grandson, Master (Francis George) Hare, was painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds in 1788 and his portrait hangs today in the Louvre. Interestingly, Master Hare eloped with Georgiana Shipley, niece to Margaret Poyntz, thanks to the help of Georgiana's cousin, Lady Georgiana Spencer, later the Duchess of Devonshire, and the ancestor to Diana, Princess of Wales.

Their son, Francis George, then married Anne Paul, the great-granddaughter of John Lyon, 8th Earl of Strathmore and the ancestor to Claude, 14th Earl of Strathmore, father of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

Without male heirs, Herstmonceaux Castle in East Sussex and Holmhurst House in St. Leonards on Sea, Hastings went to the next of kin, the Penrhyn family. David Hare, the famous playwright, was born at St. Leonards on Sea. Interesting note, is he was born David Rippon so I wonder if this place had anything to do with his changing his last name to Hare?

V. The Earls of Listowel:

It is said the Hare Baronets refusal to convert from Catholicism to Protestantism under the reign of Elizabeth I cost them dearly. In an interesting twist, the last bastion against Elizabeth I in the First Desmond Rebellion (1569-1573) was Listowel Castle. Following an English victory in Ireland, Listowel Castle was taken from the Fitzmaurices, Knights of Kerry, and given to a Hare family.

What is interesting is if Listowel Castle was given to this Hare family after 1573, why did it take almost 250 years for this family to receive the title of Earl of Listowel? The result of crushing the rebellions was the destruction of the Desmond dynasty and the subsequent plantation or colonization of Munster with English settlers. Therefore, this Hare family was most likely English and possibly related to the Hare Baronets. Was the delay in their title due to a delay in their conversion to Protestantism? I have yet to make all the connections.

In the end, William Hare, was created Baron Ennismore (1800), then Viscount Ennismore and Listowel (1816), and finally 1st Earl of Listowel (1822), receiving an Irish peerage for his service as an MP in the Irish House of Commons. His descendant was created Baron Hare (1869) in the Peerage of the United Kingdom and given a seat in the House of Lords. The Earls of Listowel are one of the 90 hereditary peers remaining in the House of Lords after the 1999 House of Lords Act. The title is currently held by the 6th Earl of Listowel.

VI. Hares in the American Colonies:

I have Joseph Hare III (b. 1949 CA) - Joseph C. Hare II (b. 1914 MT) - Joseph Hare I or Joseph Jr. (b. 1886 North Dakota) - Joseph Hare Sr. (b. I844 NY) - David Hare Jr. (b. 1800 NY) - David Hare (b. 1766 CT) - Phineas Hare (b. 1720 VT?). I cannot locate where Phineas Hare was born or who and when the first Hare of this line came to America from England.

Conclusion:

If I can create a direct line to all these people then I could get quite the comprehensive story. If anyone reads this and can help me figure out the pieces to this puzzle, I would greatly appreciate it. - Thank you :)

Re: Hares from 1066 to 1720

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 2:08PM GMT
Was you US ancestor William Hare, who came into Boston in 1719?
Thanks,
Richard Hare

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: Rev. Joseph Hare, William Davenport Hare, John Davenport, Captain Coulson

Hello Richard,

My English ancestor was Rev. Joseph Hare and he came to Baltimore in 1827. He married Frances Ellen Davenport on May 28, 1829.

My first American ancestor was his son, Joseph Hare II, born April 15, 1841 in Fairview, Guernsey, Ohio. His older brother was Oregon politician, William Davenport Hare (see Wikipedia).

His maternal grandfather was Ohio politician, John Davenport (see Wikipedia), and his maternal great-grandfather was Captain Coulson, who fought in the American Revolutionary War.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
kh

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 9:35PM GMT
Surnames: correction to Hares from 1066 to 1720
I have corrected the following errors found in this section:

VI. Hares in the American Colonies:

Richard Hare* (b. 1762 possibly Dorset or Somerset, England, arrived in Baltimore 1827, d. Jan 31, 1842 Belmont, OH), Rev. Joseph Hare (b. 1807 England, arrived in Baltimore 1827, d. 1880 W St. Paul, MN), Joseph Hare II (b. April 15, 1841 Fairview, OH, d. 1910 Bismarck, ND), Joseph Hare III (b. Oct 25, 1886 Bismarck, ND, d. 1966 Burbank, CA), Joseph Hare IV (b. Feb 28, 1914 Great Fall, MT, d. October 1976 CA or NV), Joseph Hare V (b. July 8, 1949 Loma Linda, CA, d. October 23, 1983 Brentwood, TN) - kh

* His father, Nicholas Hare, may be born in 1735 in Vestfold, Norway and d. Nov. 1, 1764 in Vestfold, Norway but I'm not sure because his wife, Martha House, was born in Somerset and died in Dorset, England, and his son, Richard, listed on his Baltimore passage records he was born in England but I can't find his birth certificate to find out where exactly. If anyone has any information, please contact me. - Thank you! :)

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 11:09PM GMT
Surnames: Hare
Hi KH;
Hmmm...I'll be glad to help if you can provide some direction toward your family's relationship with the English in your history. Examining that relationship also holds promise for my search, but you and I would be quite distant relatives.

Our part of the Hare family (William) came to Boston during Nov. 1719. It appears our branch was in Dublin in the 1600's(an English city then), Maghera later, and defended Londonderry against the Catholic Revolution. Then to Boston.
The connection with England is a letter from one of the Hares in Dublin to his uncle at Stowe-Bardolph about inheritance. I'm going to look for this letter, which is in England, in the autumn (after the sailing season...first things first).
In the meantime I've ordered the 4 volume Irish Heredity written in 1745 (CD from Enclann). I'll be glad to keep my eyes open for anything that might interest you. Just tell me what to look for.
Cheers,
Dick

Posted: 24 Jun 2010 9:26AM GMT
Hello again K.

One of the Richard HARE's I have information on was born in Somerset, near Taunton and his father was a Nicholas HARE who married a Mary [you have Martha] HOUSE. This Richard did go to America for about a year on business, but I have different dates to that of you, but its possible he did go there again. This Richard didnt die in America though. From his passage records to Baltimore, does it say what Richards occupation was or more about him or his purpose in America?

K, please dont think I disbelieve you or your information, and I realise you say "possibly" and "may" in your messages, but it mostly contradicts the information or adds to the information that I have from the official records, and it would be very interesting to know your source or why you think things are how you say.

My very best wishes, Mike Hare, descended from Christopher HARE of Taunton, Somerset, b,c1700

Posted: 25 Jun 2010 12:49AM GMT
Hi Michael:

My journey started with a trip to Paris when I saw Master Hare by Sir Joshua Reynolds at the Louvre completely by chance. I hadn't seen my last name on anything significant before so naturally I was intrigued.

I traced Master (Francis) Hare to the Hare family of Herstmonceaux Castle and their family connection to the Barons Coleraine (Bruce Castle), the Hare Baronets (Stow Bardolph and this very old branch claims to be scions from the House of Harcourt), and the Hare family at Docking. I don't know if they are related to the Earls of Listowel but I thought it was pretty interesting that the Hare family was Catholic (and suffered for it when times changed) yet the Listowel Hares are Protestant and subsequently have more status than the earlier Hares so perhaps this branch learned to play the game.

I wondered then if my last name had any connection with this family in England. I put in my father and great-grandfather's name (pretty easy when it is Joseph Hare I, II, and III) into ancestry.com and was led to a family in Plattsburgh, NY. I was hoping to trace the Plattsburgh family back to England until I learned I wasn't related to the Plattsburgh branch.

I found an old family photo that listed the marriage of Reverend Joseph Hare to Frances Ellen Davenport of Virginia. It turned out my father was actually Joseph Hare V! The photo listed their wedding date and the names of the subsequent Josephs sans birthday dates. I figured Frances Ellen must be some VIP so I looked her up online and wikipedia directed me to her father, John Davenport, and her son, William Davenport Hare. That's when I found out Reverend Joseph Hare was from England.

I redid my information on ancestry.com and they pulled up his passage records to Baltimore, which included his parents, Richard and Jane Hare. The Hares and the Davenports left Virginia for Ohio as "merchants" but John Davenport got into politics and Joseph Hare become a Methodist preacher and civil circuit rider. I don't know how Richard faired as a merchant but his records say he died in Ohio and his father was Nicholas Hare (born and died in Vestfold, Norway - go figure) and his mother was Martha House from Taunton. Once Nicholas Hare was from Norway, information stopped coming so I'm guessing it's an error and he was from England like his wife and son.

If you have any information, especially "official" information, I would very interested as I want to find out the truth. Until I am certain what I have, I can only use "may" and share what I have to open up the dialogue. I hope you understand.

Cheers,
kh

P.S. Please send me anything you have on Joseph Hare, Richard Hare (married Jane King?), Nicholas Hare (was he born or died in Norway? What were those circumstances?) and Mary House. Thank you!

Posted: 25 Jun 2010 1:01AM GMT

Dear RB:

Gosh! When you find that letter please share as it sounds marvelous!

When I was researching the Hare family in Plattsburgh, they were in the fur trade and were doing quite well until the American Revolution broke out. Because their business relationships were with the English, they were Loyalists and fled to Canada to join the Loyalist army.

After the American Revolution ended, the men were branded traitors and could not come back for their wives and children because if they were caught they could be hanged. However, their wives were able to receive a pension from England for their husband's loyal service if he were killed.

Some may have headed for Canada after the war while others stayed. I recall there was a connection with this Plattsburgh family to Ireland but I will have to get back to you what it was. It is possible they came in from Boston.

Let me get back to you on that.

Cheers,
k

Posted: 29 Jun 2010 12:36PM GMT

Hello K,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you but have been a little busy here.
I am still very confused and concerned over your line of research K and the outcome of it. There are many very good online sites and research tools available, but I would always check with the official records office the findings on these sites.
From the records at Taunton they show there were three Nicholas HARE's [father, son and grandson] Nicholas HARE the father died about 1727 [taken from court document dated 22nd of July 1813, Ref; DD/CH29/13 pt 2.] this also states his Will was made around the 9th of April 1724.

Nicholas HARE [the son] died November 1764. His death place was Cheddon Fitzpaine near Taunton, date taken from court document regarding land dispute between Richard HARE and others. [Document dated 22nd of July 1813, Ref; DD/CH29/13 pt 2.]

Nicholas HARE [the grandson] Married Mary HOUSE, by licence, she was born at West Monkton and baptised there on the 26th of March 1739. Nicholas and Mary were married at West Monkton at the church of St Augustine on the 7th day of December 1756.

Nicholas HARE and Mary nee HOUSE had a son called Richard HARE, but I can find no information to suggest this Richard ever married or had children. He gives no inclination of this during my research, and even his Will mentions no children and he leaves the vast majority of his belongings and wealth to members of the HOUSE family.

Nicholas HARE [the grandson] died in 1764 when Richard was very young, and Mary nee HOUSE remarried to a Alexander BRUFORD in 1765 and they had 4 children [at least] Mary died in 1794 and Alexander in 1799. Some of the BRUFORD's went to Australia where their descendants are to this day.

Warning; there were two Mary HOUSE's in that area around the same time. There were also two Richard HARE's at about that time in the area. This has caused me problems.

My Richard HARE's father was a Christopher HARE, and at this time I have found no link to that of the Nicholas's Even though I believe there must be I will not take it as fact until I see it on the official records. It can be very useful and informative to research other families with the same surname, but it does not mean they are connected. There were several HARE families in Taunton at the same time, most very interesting and some very wealthy, but until I have 100% proof they are linked to me from the records of the time, they are just that... interesting.

You have worked very hard K in your research, and it would be a huge pity if you picked-up the wrong line of descendants. Just one mistake in who you believed your ancestor was could send you in completely the wrong direction. My very best wishes to you.

Mike Hare

Posted: 29 Jun 2010 6:50PM GMT
Dear Mike,

Thank you for all your helpful information. Would you be so kind as help me fill in my question marks? Thank you :)

1. Nicholas Hare [father]
b. Date? Taunton?
d. 1727. Taunton?
From the official records at Taunton [taken from court document dated 22nd of July 1813, Ref; DD/CH29/13 pt 2.] this also states his Will was made around the 9th of April 1724.

2. Nicholas Hare [the son]
b. Date? Taunton?
d. 1764 November. His death place was Cheddon Fitzpaine near Taunton, date taken from court document regarding land dispute between RICHARD HARE and others. [Document dated 22nd of July 1813, Ref; DD/CH29/13 pt 2.]

3. Nicholas Hare [the grandson]
b. 1735? Taunton?
d. 1764 (November 1?) Vestfold, Norway?
m. MARY HOUSE, by licence, she was born at West Monkton and baptised there on the 26th of March 1739. Nicholas and Mary were married at West Monkton at the church of St Augustine on the 7th day of December 1756. Nicholas Hare died when Richard was very young, and Mary Hare remarried Alexander BRUFORD in 1765 and they had 4 children [at least]. Mary died in 1794 (in Dorset?) and Alexander in 1799. Some of the BRUFORD's went to Australia where their descendants are to this day.

4. Richard Hare [son of Nicholas Hare and Mary Hare nee House]
b. 1762? Taunton?
m. Jane King (b. 1765 England, d. 1845 Belmont, Ohio)?
d. 1842 Jan 31? Belmont, Ohio?

WARNING: There were 2 Mary House and 2 Richard Hare in that area around the same time. My [Mike Hare] Richard Hare's father was Christopher Hare NOT Nicholas Hare. There were several Hare families in Taunton at the same time, most very interesting and some very wealthy.

5. Joseph Hare* [my family photo]
b. 1807 near Taunton, Somerset, England
a. 1827 Baltimore, Maryland
m. 1829 May 28 Nelson, Virginia (Ohio) to Frances Ellen Davenport
d. 1880 W St. Paul, Minnesota

* No information to suggest Richard ever married or had children. His Will mentions no children and he leaves the vast majority of his belongings and wealth to members of the HOUSE family.

I have Richard, Jane (nee King) and Joseph Hare on a passage list from England to Baltimore, Maryland and appearing together as a family unit in census reports in Virginia (where Joseph met and married Frances Ellen Davenport) and in Ohio (where they followed John and Martha Davenport, Frances's parents).

Richard was listed as a merchant but I couldn't find anything about his business. John Davenport joined the House of Representatives for Ohio. Records show Richard and Jane died in Ohio (would love to hear about your records that state otherwise) while Joseph and Frances headed for Minnesota.

Hope we can help each other to piece this together.

Cheers,
kh
per page

Find a board about a specific topic