Search for content in message boards

Hewitt's from Brooklyn, NY

Hewitt's from Brooklyn, NY

Bill Hewitt (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2002 1:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hewitt
My father, Robert Frederick Hewitt and his brother Herbert Henry Hewitt lived in Brooklyn , NY from the 1920's to the 1950's. Their father was Frederick Orlander Hewitt and their mother was Emma Louise Krausz. Their grand father was Henry Orlander Hewitt and their grandmother was Agnes Ellen Williamson. Their great grandfather was Orlander B. Hewitt and his wife was Mary Ann Green. Other family names include Huber, Ingraham, & Henn.
If you have any info about any of these people please contact me at the email listed below.
Thanks,
William Lowerre Hewitt (Bill)
bhewitt452@mediaone.net
bhewitt452@attbi.com (after 3/15/02)

Re: Hewitt's from Brooklyn, NY

Glen Naekel (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2002 2:56AM GMT
Surnames: HEWITT, WOGAN, NAEKEL
My mother's maiden name was Phyllis Hewitt, born 1939. Her father's name was John. He left the family when my mother was young so I don't know much about him. I was born in Brooklyn and my family has its roots there. It's possible that we're talking about the same Hewitts. I'm new to this research so I am really not sure how to pursue it. If you have any more questions or any info, I would appreciate a reply.

Thanks,

Glen Naekel.

Posted: 28 May 2002 2:29AM GMT
My great grandmother was Isabelle Gibson Hewitt. Her father was John Hewitt and mother Margarette Elliott. She was born and lived in Brooklyn. She married James Simon Knecht. If there is any connection with your Hewitt's please respond.
Pam Avery

Glen Naekel (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2002 3:43AM GMT
I'm sorry Pam, but I don't know if there is a connection. My mother's father was John Hewitt but obviously not the same you mentioned.

I'm still a bit new to this research and have only begun to scratch the surface. Hopefully I'll have a chance soon to find out more.

Take care.

Robert Hewitt (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2003 7:08PM GMT
My grandfather was born Robert Hewitt in Brooklyn to Jack Hewitt and Betty in December 1932. He married Doris Huffnagel, and lived in Levittown, NY. They had four children, Robert junior, Dawn, Danny, and Mark. Unfortunately, Jack died when my grandfather was young, somehwere between 12-14 years old, and so I don't know anything before then.

Glen Naekel (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2003 6:07PM GMT
I would guess if the proper tracing was done you would find a connection somewhere. I don't recognize those names you mentioned as relatives. My mother, Phyllis Hewitt was born to John and Frances Hewitt in 1939. Her brother, Donald was born in the early 40's.

Of course, Hewitt is a popular name so there is a lot of detective work to do. I have not had time to really get into it.

Posted: 19 May 2004 5:02PM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2004 4:28PM GMT
Surnames: Hewitt, Lansdell
There are many Hewitts burried in Greenwood Cemetary in Brooklyn, NY. There is a search option available at www.green-wood.com. You can gain information such as interrment date and the plot number where they are burried. I have been able to put some information together as far as individuals burried on the same family plots.

I am looking for information on Pricilla Willetta Hewitt she was born around 1833. She married Henry Lansdell in St. Louise, MO But both of their families are from Brooklyn.

Glen (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2004 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: HEWITT, WOGAN, NAEKEL
That's a very good suggestion. I know for a fact that some of my father's side of the family is buried there.

My mother's side is the Hewitt's. We haven't strayed to far from the NYC area. I'll keep my eyes open for "Pricilla".

Posted: 5 May 2013 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: Hewitt Krausz Huber Henn Gehlbach Gilbert Strobel
Your Father: Robert Frederick Hewitt b: 25 Jun 1921 in New York, d: Sep 1974 (Have a better date?)
Your Mother: Elizabeth A McIntire b: abt 1927

Your Paternal Grandfather: Frederick Orlando Hewitt b: 26 Jul 1886 in New York City, d: ??
Your Paternal Grandmother: Emma Louise Krausz b: 10 Dec 1898 in New York City, d: 10 Sep 1950 in Brooklyn, New York

Notice I have Orlando, nor Orlander. Are you sure about the middle / father's given name? Most records I've seen have both as Orlando.

Emma's parents:

Your Great Grandfather: Charles Frederick Krausz b: Dec 1872 in New York City, d: 3 May 1901 in New York City.
Your Great Grandmother: Ida Huber b: Feb 1873 in Germany; [Parents: Hermann Huber & Lisle?? Vieser, m: 1 Dec 1895 in New York City.

Charles' parents:

Your Great Great Grandfather: Peter Henn b: 5 Jan 1816 in Katzweiler, Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany; Baptized in Jan 1816. Parents: Daniel Henn and Katharina Gehm, m: 28 Jun 1840 in New York City, d: 10 May 1883 in Bloomfield, New Jersey.

Your Great Great Grandmother: Louisa Wilhelmina Gehlbach b: 22 Dec 1817 in Schwarzenacker, Saarpfalz-Kreis, Saarland, Germany; Birth place from marriage record., d: 28 Feb 1863 in Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA

Louisa's parents:

Your Great Great Great Grandfather: Jacob Gehlbach b: 5 Jun 1791 in Nünschweiler, Sudwestpfalz, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, d: 4 Jan 1831 in Homburg am Main, Main-Spessart, Bayern, Germany

Your Great Great Great Grandmother: Maria Louisa Henrietta Strobel b: 1 Feb 1795 in Zweibrücken, Zweibrücken, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, m: 1 Jul 1813 in Ernstweiler, Zweibrücken, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, d: Apr 1865 in Stuyvesant, New York.

Note that the Gehlbach men used Gilbert as a surname in the U.S.

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 1:15AM GMT
I realize that this is an old thread, but I am helping my friend, Holly Hewitt work on her genealogy. She is sure that you and she might be able to connect through the Knecht side. If you are still working on the Hewitt tree please contact me.

Thank you,
Judith Veitz
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions