Search for content in message boards

Evan Sawyer - b. 1831 Camden County, NC

Evan Sawyer - b. 1831 Camden County, NC

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 9:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Nov 2012 10:05PM GMT
Surnames: Sawyer
I have been stumped for many years trying to trace back further than my 2nd great grandfather, Evan Sawyer, in my Sawyer line.

The earliest info I can find is in the 1850 census for Camden County as follows..

Will Sawyer - age 32, abt 1818
Lydia Sawyer - age 58, abt 1792
Fanny Sawyer - age 27, abt 1823
Penelope Sawyer - age 25, abt 1825
James Sawyer - age 21, abt 1829
Evan Sawyer - age 17, abt 1831

I can only guess that Will, Fanny, Penelope, James and Evan are siblings and that Lydia is possibly their mother.

My Evan Sawyer goes on to marry Martha Upton abt. 1860. Last census I find him in is 1900. Cannot find the family in the 1910 census and by 1920, Martha Upton Sawyer shows up as widowed. They had at least eight children with some of them staying in NC and others going north to VA:

1) Abner D Sawyer - b. 1861 - m. 1884 Obania Midgette
2) Thomas Sawyer - b. 1862 - m. 1890 Nancy Brown
3) John James Sawyer - b. 1865 - m. 1897 Fannie Lenora Griffin
4) Elizabeth "Bettie" Sawyer - b. 1868 - m. 1) Thomas Branson Berry 2) Caleb Staples Forbes
5) Quinton Sawyer - b. 1873
6) Emma "Lula" Sawyer - b. 1874 - m. 1896 Robert W Anderson
7) William "Willie/Billie" Sawyer - b. 1879 - m. 1) Ora L ??? and 2) ???
8) Burwell Everett Sawyer - b. 1882 - m. 1910 Lucy Edith Davis

Would love to hear from anyone who has connections to this family or who can help me in my search to find Evan Sawyer's parents. Thanks!

Bethany Sawyer Sellers

Re: Evan Sawyer - b. 1831 Camden County, NC

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 2:14PM GMT
I'm not related to the Sawyers but I can shed some light on the family.
Camden County Deed Book Z pages 380 and 381 have a deed division in 1852. The heirs of Abner D. Sawyer are listed as James (adult), Penelope (adult), William, Evin and Fany (all infants). I know this disagrees with the census which lists William as an adult, but it could just be a mistake on the part of the transcriber. I got the data from "Kinsfolk of Camden County Deed Books Vol 1" by Elizabeth Jones

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Sawyer, Dozier, Gregory
Thank you! Thank you for solving the mystery! I had wondered if Abner D was their father. His time of death matched up (Dec 1849) and also, my Evan had named his first son Abner D. I had purchased the Camden County NC Will Book C hoping to find a will for him there, but no luck. Where would I be able to find the books you referenced?

Now I have a new mystery. In the Will Book C, pages 30 & 31 there is listed a will of Evan Dozier. One of the items is to his adopted son Abner Sawyer, son of Aliff Sawyer alias Aliff Gregory. Without the middle initial, I am uncertain if this is my Abner but do find it interesting that Abner named one of his children Evan. So is it my guy? Not sure. Do you know if there were any kind of adoption records back then? Also, I believe Aliff to be his mother, but would her maiden name be Gregory or does that mean she married a second time?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Bethany Sawyer Sellers

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 9:37PM GMT
You can buy the book at the same place you purchsaed WB C - the Family Research Society of NENC :-) The web site is http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ncfrsnnc/

It's possible that the Abner listed on page 31 is your Abner - there really isn't enough info to tell. There were multiple Abner Sawyers at that time. Something in the deeds might answer your question. You can request copies of deeds from the Register of Deeds in Camden County or get the microfilm through Inter-library loan so you can check a number of deeds.

I found an Abner Sawyer in "Camden County NC Extant Tax Records 1782-1890) - but only one listing. He was taxed for 100 acres of land and one white poll (which would have been him) in 1815. The tax was listed under Isaac Gregory who had 160 acres and no polls as if Isaac Gregory paid the tax for Abner (if this is the right Abner). Also note there were multiple Isaac Gregorys.

There were no formal adoptions back then....you are talking about a man born ca 1790s - we were barely Americans then. The words adopted and alias together are bothering. Alias often means that Gregory was her maiden name, but it can also mean illigitimate. You also need to consider that there were multuiple Evan Sawyers at this time frame. Your best bet would be determining how this Abner got 100 acres, but I'd first find out how much land was divided among his children and where it was located to determine if this Abner and the one who left land which was divided between his children are the same tract of land - not easy, and definitely not online or abstracted any where.

The book I referenced called Kinsfolk only list deeds in which the author saw relationships - not all deeds.

You can email the Family Research Society of NE NC at frsnnc2@hotmail.com - I answer questions for people there and try and help with NE NC questions.
Sharon Rea Gable
per page

Find a board about a specific topic