Search for content in message boards

Search Advice

Search Advice

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 7:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Near, Neher
I have hit a dead end with German Near (born abt 1818 in NY, died abt 1900 in IL). He doesn't appear on a census (that I can find) until 1860. My biggest challenge is in restricting results that come back. Since his last name is a common word I am getting tons of articles that include something along the lines of "near German Flats". I also think there's a pretty good chance that the name was originally "Neher" or something similar but not exactly "Near". Can anyone give some search tips and/or how to find out when/if the name evolved? Thanks

Re: Search Advice

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 11:40PM GMT
I found a German Near, b. 10 Sep 1818, d. 15 Apr 1904, buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS and Sarah C. B. Near, b. 1837, d. 20 Dec 1913, also buried in the same cemetery. These were found on Find A Grave. German's Memorial# is 33265511 and Sarah's is 33265512. I also found them in the 1900 LaSalle County, Illinois census (Freedom Township). The index, though, gives Sarah's age as 23 but the image shows 63. The basic info for them in this census is below.

German Near, age 81, b. Sep 1818, NY
Sarah Near, age 63, b. Apr 1837, NY
at the time of the census they had been married 49 years

It might be easier for you to search census records for German Near by not searching from his profile in your tree and focusing only on the specific record you're wanting to search.

If you go to "Search" tab at the top of your "home" page, a drop down list will appear where you can select what type of record you'd like to search (census, marriage, etc.).

For census records, choose "Census & Voter Lists" from the drop down which will take you to a search form for census record. Choose "US Census" link on the right side of the form which will take you to a search form for the U.S. Census Collection. If you scroll down the page, you'll find a separate link to each census year. Each year's census link will take you to a separate search page or give you the option (to the right of the form) to browse by state, county, etc.

I do searches this way when searching from a profile within my tree is unsuccessful. If this doesn't work, the results I receive usually give me ideas to either hone my search terms or search other records to get more (or better) information before trying the search again.

Hope this helps!

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 12:29AM GMT
Thank you for the specifics on German - that's helpful to flesh him out a little. However my query was more on finding German's parents who seem to be ghosts. The branch ends w/ German no matter where I look.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 2:31AM GMT
I did a quick search of the 1850 census with no luck, just as you said. I think I'd try to find a death notice for him and see if that might give you any further info. If the German Near I found buried in KS is your German, then I'd check to see if there is a death record. (BTW, German and Sarah are buried next to each other according to a listing of the burials for this cemetery on the Sedgwick Co, KSGenWeb site.) 1904 might be a little early but it's worth a shot. Either of these might give you some info about his parents. A death notice for Sarah might give you some info about German you might not have, too, but that might be more of a long shot.

I'd also check published histories or biographies of the known places he lived. You might get lucky and find some small piece of info to at least point you to more resources to check.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 2:34AM GMT
Wade,

I just found German's name listed in a death index for Sedgwick Co, KS. I'd try to get a copy of it because it just might give you the names of his parents and maybe their birthplaces. His certificate number is 218, year 1904.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 10:23PM GMT
Awesome - thanks. I'll look into it! Fairly certain that German is my German. Several of his children settled in that area in the early 1900s

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 4:41PM GMT
Glad I posted this in the Newbie forum - I'm not able to find a Sedgwick Co death index. Did you find that on ancestry.com or somewhere else? Can you provide a link? Sorry it's been a while - I'm just getting some time to return to work on the tree. Thanks in advance

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 9:44PM GMT
Hi Wade,

I didn't find it here on ACOM. I found it on the Sedgwick County, KSGenWeb site (Wichita Death Index, 1887-1910). Here is a link to the index:

http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/sedgwick/deathlr.txt

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:43PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2013 1:17AM GMT
Just as a general matter, I would suggest always checking the GenWeb site for whatever state/county you think could be relevant. There is a wide variation in the level of sophistication, but often you will find death and marriage index listings that you don't see elsewhere, and sometimes there will be bios and other helpful stuff as well.

Also, try the web sites for any county or regional genealogical societies - again, it varies a lot (just depends on the interest levels, especially if staffed by volunteers) but I have gotten some really great stuff that way. For instance, for a very nominal charge (something like $10) I got copies of newspaper notices of 1860s-1880s deaths, births and marriages for family members from Solano County, California.

In one case (my personal favorite) I got the record of a guilty plea entered by my great grandfather's brother for having unspecified "gambling devices" in his home in Oregon, around 1855 (through the Rogue Valley genealogical library, in Jackson County, Oregon)! That particular organization had a real treasure trove (if you have ancestors there, consider yourself lucky), including things like jury service lists, cattle brands, local newspaper articles indexed with names, marriage lists, birth announcements, and much more.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic