Search for content in message boards

On-line Wisconsin newspapers

On-line Wisconsin newspapers

Posted: 6 Apr 2014 10:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've noticed there are three main companies on-line with access to Wisconsin newspapers: Ancestry, NewspaperArchives (owned by Ancestry), and Newspapers. It is overwhelming and confusing and hard to piece together. I put this spreadsheet together in the hopes that it would help me figure out where to go for what I need and I thought it might be of help to others looking for Wisconsin newspapers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28kfmg0pei324oy/Wisconsin%20online...

Re: On-line Wisconsin newspapers

Posted: 19 May 2014 11:25PM GMT
I think that your best option is to borrow the newspapers that you are interested in from the Wisconsin State Historical Society, they do share their microfilms of newspapers with local libraries.

I volunteer at a local historical society and our historical society has microfilm copies of the local newspaper, you may want to check with the county's historical society and see if they have microfilm and hard copies of the papers. Also some of the local libraries have microfilm copies of their local newspapers and some newspapers actually have copies of old newspapers, those are harder to get because they are usually stored in some warehouse.

Re: On-line Wisconsin newspapers

Posted: 20 May 2014 2:26AM GMT
Thanks for doing this.

BTW, Newspapers.com is owned by Ancestry. NewspaperArchive.com is owned by Heritage Microfilm.

Re: On-line Wisconsin newspapers -- NewspaperARCHIVE.com

Posted: 26 May 2014 9:13PM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2014 9:22PM GMT
An interesting post found through these message boards:
Search: NewspaperArchives.com
Posted: 3 May 2014

(The correct spelling of the site name is NewspaperARCHIVE.com)

http://www.cluewagon.com/2014/05/want-a-full-refund-on-your-...

Wisconsin residents have many resources available through Wisconsin funded BadgerLink, but there are other resources available through local public, college or university libraries. The site "19th Century U.S. Newspapers" is an excellent resource for Milwaukee research with an almost flawless search engine (available through our local library).

Use your local library whether you feel welcome or not - and you won't if you construct anything of an original and creative project there.

"Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).
gary.rebholz@gmail.com, originator/compiler/editor, Milwaukee Wis.
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers hidden away at the local library ... helping family researchers collect evidence contemporary with their historic German-American families.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic