Search for content in message boards

Bohumil KOSTKA

Bohumil KOSTKA

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 4:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kostka, KOSTKA
Any information on Bohumil Villacose KOSTKA, born 6/21/1880 in Prague, son of Frank & Mary KOSTKA, Frank was a harness maker. Bohumil died in Queens, New York City on 12/6/1947, he was a painter and artist. He married Carrie CHIOJAN on 7/14/1910 and they had four children: Carol, Rose, Alexander and Frank. I have more descendant information but would like more Czech information. My wife is Ann KOSTKA, Alexander's daughter. Thanks, Bob Miller

Re: Bohumil KOSTKA

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 9:59PM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2012 10:01PM GMT
Prague parrish registers are digitalized but if you don´t know where in Prague Bohumil was born, it´ll take you some time to find his birth record.

http://www.ahmp.cz/index.html?wstyle=2&catalogue=1 (click on Procházet a hledat)

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 11:12PM GMT
Thank you very much! We have no idea where in Prague or the area he was from and neither of us read Czech... Bob & Ann

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 5:17AM GMT
Do you have an immigration record for either of them? If they arrived after 1900, sometimes the ship's record had some helpful information. If you have found the record in Ancestry, you can point us to the date, ship name, image number.

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 1:24PM GMT
FamilySearch had their immigration year as 1884, they first lived in Manhattan. Alternate spellings for his wife's surname are: CHVOJAN, CHROJAN, they married in Manhattan on 10/6/1894. Bohumil Americanized his first name to GODFREY. Thank you for your interest.
Bob & Ann

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 1:00AM GMT
In 1884, they still didn't record village information in the ship's records, unfortunately. With your 1884 clue, I searched Ancestry. 1884 > May > 25 > Polaria, Image 21 of 23. Others in the party include father Franz, mother Marie, brother Franz, sister Marie, baby (brother?) Leonar?

See attached snip.
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 11:02PM GMT
I think the last name could be Leonore - not Leonard.

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 11:02PM GMT
I think the last name could be Leonore - not Leonard.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 4:27AM GMT
Surnames: Kostka, Galvin
Hi Bob & Ann!!! It's Kim Galvin (Kevin's wife!)... we were at your wedding!!!... I was so excited to see this information. I have been trying to collect info on this side of the family as well. Had no idea Ann was interested too. We must get together some time to discuss. It's very difficult to find as names changed so often. We'll talk more soon!!
Kim

Re: Bohumil KOSTKA Marriage

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 4:43AM GMT
You probably found the marriage date from the Italian Genealogical Group website. Have you ordered the certificate? I'm waiting for a dozen or so records I ordered from the New York City archives, and wonder what is on the typical marriage record.

Regarding Bohumil changing to Godfrey, my husband's Aunt Bohumila was known as Godfrieda. So when I'm telling a story about my great uncle Bohumil to people unfamiliar with Czech names, I simply call him Uncle Godfrey so it doesn't get in the way of the story.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions