Search for content in message boards

Search Results won't update for Merge

Search Results won't update for Merge

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 1:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been having an unusual problem lately. After I search in FTM 2012, the data shows up in the "Search result detail" panel for me to merge. If I follow a link on the page, either in the record or one of the suggestions on the right, the new link shows up but the results doesn't update. I can't merge anything but links from the main search results page. This behavior is new.

If I close and reopen FTM it works, but only for a very short time.

Anyone else experience this?

Re: Search Results won't update for Merge

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 1:47AM GMT
It's been happening from the last update sometime last Wednesday night, Thursday morning.

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 1:56AM GMT
Sounds about right. Glad it's not just me. Gladder if they fix it.

Work-Around for 1880 Census Images

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 4:51AM GMT

We should all call tomorrow morning when the phone lines open and overpower them with an avalanche of complaints. This is a major pain.

In the meantime, there is a work around for US Censuses 1880 and after. Once you have navigated to a Post-1880 census, you can click on "see others on this page" and then click on the head of household and get a "fresh" load in the Merge box in the lower right corner.

Problem Persists - 08/14/2012 - "Working on it"

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 2:53PM GMT
The problem still persists and is MADDENING.

I called (again) and they said they are aware and still working on it. They don't know when they'll fix it.

Please call 800-262-3787 and add your shout to the chorus of exasperated voices. And/or email:

Thanks

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 1:12AM GMT
Just noticed mine having this exact same problem. I can't recall when I last successfully used that function (I've been out of town for two weeks...) so I can't say when it really started. But it was driving me crazy! So, sorry to say, I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 3:14AM GMT
Yes, same problem. They actually told me that I would just have to do a separate search for each person in the family. They had me reloading the software, unlinking my tree from online then downloading it, etc, etc, etc.
I don't like anyone or thing threatening my 125,000 records, 30 years of research. I also have a problem with merging a person and getting a reference for the source, but no media for that person.
Not happy with software of tech help. Why don't they just say they are working on it instead of having me do inane things over and over to the program?

Posted: 16 Aug 2012 8:22AM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2012 8:24AM GMT
This started for me a few days ago , it's driving me mad !

Sorry to hear others are also experiencing this but I guess it show's it not a problem with my installation which is some comfort.

Jon, London, UK

Problem Persists 08/16/2012 "Still Working On It" - Maddening

Posted: 16 Aug 2012 2:48PM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2012 2:48PM GMT
Problem Persists 08/16/2012 "Still Working On It" - Maddening

I called again this morning. "We still know about it. We're still working on it"

It's been a week now.

I had a family in the 1850 census with 10 family members. I had a choice of entering each person's info manually and 1) doing a completely new search all over again for each of the 10 people, or 2) copy and paste the father's citation (with image) for each of the other nine people in the census for name, birth, residence.

I also had a family with four children where each child later married and had children, and those later records were all findable throught the "hints" / "suggested other records" in the right panel. If the "hint" was an 1880 census, I could "wake up" the lower right merge panel by going to "find others on this page". But, otherwise, I had to do a New search all over again for each person and each record.

This is absolutely maddening!!

Posted: 17 Aug 2012 4:26PM GMT
I've been noticing a hit-or-miss effect when it comes to getting media along with the facts when merging. Especially with the 1940 census—and in those cases, the entire program crashes (although not fully, I have to kill it using the task manager).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic