Search for content in message boards

Translation of Czech letter to English

Translation of Czech letter to English

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 6:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nelson (Hakl), Zajic, Sisna (Cisna)
Could someone translate this letter for us? It was written in 1923 by Joseph Zajic in Pennsylvania to his sister-in-law, Mary (Hakl) Nelson, in Wisconsin.
Attachments:

Re: Translation of Czech letter to English

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 7:13PM GMT
It´s a letter of condolence; he writes that he´s sorry his niece died.

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 12:30AM GMT
Thank you. I knew it was written right after Katherine died. This tells me that the Zajic family were informed of her death and didn't travel for the funeral. Could I have the details of the letter--a transcript? I'm hoping for more clues about the Zajic family and their lives.

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 12:06PM GMT
There´s nothing about his family, he just writes that they´re sorry that Ryny died, they loved her, they´re gonna miss her and the letters she wrote to them. Then he writes about her, how kind and lovely she was, mentions her poor children. He asks Mejmy to give regards to Marie, Joe Sisna and Láďa and begs her to write him letters instead of Ryny. That´s the gist of it, I really don´t have time to sit down and translate it word by word, sorry. Hope you don´t mind. :)

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 7:45AM GMT
Thank you for taking time to share more of the letter contents. The details didn't help me much with the Zajic family, but they are significant for what they show about Katherine. Both of her "poor children" were young and had been recently adopted. They were re-orphaned when Katherine's husband died several years later, and they became lost to the family. In March, after looking for almost two years, I found the girl still alive at age 90 and met her two months ago (her adopted brother drowned as a newlywed). She will love what these details show about the mother she can't remember.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions