Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Louise Kovach

Elizabeth Louise Kovach

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kovach, Holch, Crislip
Hi everyone. This is the only ancestor I'm really having trouble finding information about. Elizabeth Louise Kovach was my great-grandmother. I have varying information, some say she was born in Yugoslavia/Czechoslovakia, some say she was born in Ohio, USA. I can't find either of her parents information, as I do not know her parents' first names. I believe her father's last name was Kovach and her mother's last name was Holch, both of Czechoslovakia. I believe Great-grandma Kovach was born July 4, 1912. She married Elem Hugh Crislip, and later married Herbert Becker. She died in Akron, Ohio in November 1998. All of my great-grandparents have passed away, and I only have 1 remaining grandparent alive, a grandmother, on my mother's side. This explains why it's been difficult to gather information about Elizabeth (Betty) Kovach. If anyone can help me with any information about her I would greatly appreciate it!

Re: Elizabeth Louise Kovach

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 3:20PM GMT
Hi Amber

Up to 1918 it was http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/austhung.htm where 12 different languages were spoken. Do you know language of your ancestors?
After the fall of A-H several new countries were formed and one Czechoslovakia [ full map www.cgsi.org ] [some changes to the map after WWll] In 1993 Czechoslovakia separated into Czech Republic and Slovak Republic.

You might want to go to the church where your ggrandmother was married. Do check into Elizabeth's SS-5Form [social security numbers] as that form would have her place of birth and parents names.

KOVACH is an americanized version of KOVAC^ -Slavic; KOVACS - Hungarian.
Posted: 11 Dec 2012 3:43PM GMT
Amber

Please take a look at this NY Ellis Island arrival manifest. The person is going to Youngstown.
www.ellisislandrecords.org

Holch, Andras Peschendorf, Hungary 26 1884 1910
Not sure but do think that this location is in Romania.

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 7:45PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I know Elizabeth's SSN but I cannot find any detailed information relating to her heritage and parents. I also cannot find the church she was married in. Do you happen to have any ideas of how to find that information?

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 8:40PM GMT
You're welcome Amber.
Do you have Elizabeth's actual SS-5Form which costs $27?
If yes, than her place of birth should be on it as well as her parents names.
I'm sure you know that you go backwards from yourself locating documents on each generation. What you have?
I don't have a paid subscription to Ancestry so can only help out with what is out there for free.
You might want to look for the family on 1940, 1930, 1920 and 1910 census as the census should have "language spoken" by the parents. Look also for notation Na-naturalized; Al-alien or Pa-first paper.
Do you know religion of your ancestor?

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 5:22PM GMT
I only have her SSN not the actual form. And I have a copy of the 1930 census which lists her birthplace as Ohio and both her parents in Czechoslovakia. It doesn't list her parent's names though.

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 5:49PM GMT
Amber
If you like, you can contact me off the Ancestry board or thru Ancestry board if you are a paid subscriber, I'm not.
The SS-5Form you would have to request and pay $27 to find her parents names.
You might want to post on Ohio board as well.

You need to keep on going backwards to locate some information on Elizabeth's parents especially if they were naturalized citizen. No language mentioned by the parents names?

http://genforum.genealogy.com/how-to/
per page

Find a board about a specific topic