Search for content in message boards

hoolahan

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 10:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: hoolahan/hagg/Forde
have been searching for ancestors by the name of hoolhan. This is spelled in many different forms. The lates info I have is of a Mary Hoolahan born 1839 The Scottish Census 1861 finds her in Scotlan. Ireland and Leitrim is beside her name
Her parents were Patrick Hoolahan(Houlihan) and mother Mary nee Hugan Would anyone know where I might find their details Born I think around 1820 and had died by 1867 A son ? Michael Houlihan sailed for NY at age 4 \i am wondering if the parents Mary and Patrick died and left him orphaned. Mary married a Thomas Haggans in Scotland. His mother was Ann Ford and Father John Haggans

Re: hoolahan

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 7:51AM GMT
In my experience, its not necessarily the county of birth that people in the 19th century put on official forms. 'Leitrim' could mean something as small as the townland or parish.
There are other Leitrims in Ireland, for example in County Kerry.

No Houlihan/Hoolihan appears in County Leitrim in the Griffiths Valuation and as the name Houlihan is so common down in the southern counties I would be concentrating my search for Houlihans and Hugans there.

I would also suggest that Hugan is more likely Hagan - a spelling error maybe.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 4:21PM GMT
Thank you for your quick response. I did not know that there was a Leitrim in Kerry
I
found Hoolahans in Griffiths in Cloone and Lesgillop Glebe
Would these not be listed elsewhere. I will follow up on Leitrim in Kerry

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 5:27PM GMT
I see the Hoolahans in Co Leitrim, sorry I never tried that spelling! And I see a few Hagans in the same parish too.
The church records for marriages and baptisms are your next port of call I would think - rootsireland.ie charges a small fee.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 10:22PM GMT
Thanks a lot Will try irishroots
Best wishes

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 1:29AM GMT
In the 1830s, John and Thomas Hollaghan each held land at Derrindrehid, RC parish of Aughavas, Civil parish of Cloone.

There were another possible group at Drunkeilvy, Gortletteragh RC parish, Cloone Civil parish. I have transcribed these as Hultahan but the reading was difficult and could have been some version of Hulahan or equivalent. Anyway they were James, Thomas and Timothy.

In 1857, Griffiths, there were several of the name.
Mary at Derrindrehid with a farm
Laurence at Cornulla with a farm
Mary at Lissgillock Glebe who only held land and may therefore have been the same as Mary above.

In Drumkeilvy there were none. And perhaps they had been the Houlton family all the time. There now being a Henry Houlton here.

Baptisms at Cloone
No early births recorded (records date from 1823)

John Holahan and Catherine Molaghan had at least 5 children at Sunnagheanity (Cornulla):
Pat 1876; Anne 1877; John and Alice 1883; Mary 1885.

Laurence Holohan and Helen O’Donnell had at least 4 children at Sallyfield (Dunavinally):
James 1895; John 1897; Francis 1899 and Mary 1900

Baptisms at Aughavas
Records start c 1842

1843 Ester Hoolahan to John H and Mary Keegan

1875 John Hoolaghan to Pat H and Jane Castle (reading obscure)

Marriages in Cloone to 1881
No Holaghans of either sex

Deaths in Cloone
1867 Oct 9th Houghlahan Eleanor 57 Sunnagheanity

Marriages in Aughavas
John H married Catherine Molaghan in 1875.

Deaths in Aughavas
1860 John H died
1861 Mary H died – no ages given so possibly young children

1848 John H aged 51 died
1876 Mary H died at Derrindrehid aged 70
1889 Matthew (reading unclear) H died at Legganomer aged 66.

1901 census

Pat H aged 56 at Annaghmacullen
John 66 and Catherine 52 at Cornulla with Patrick (24)-Ellen (20)-Jane (17)-Mary (15)

Laurence 37 and Ellen 35 at Dunavinally with -James (6)-John (3)-Francis (1)-Mary E (7 mths)

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 2:38AM GMT
Thank you for the info. The names I am searching for are Patrick Hoolahan- any spelling and Mary Hugan-Houlihan
They were probably , married in the mid thirties
One daughter Mary was b orn in 1839
Thanks for the info If you can think of anything else- I would be most grateful

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 12:12AM GMT
Perhaps you misunderstood my post. The information I have posted is ALL the info re Hoolahans (any spelling) in the Cloone and Aughavas Catholic parish records. There is no other info in these records about the Hoolihans.

It might be worth your while accessing the Gortletteragh records to see if your family appears there.

Do you have access to an LDS genealogical library? If you can get to one you should be able to order the microfilm(s) containing the Gortletteragh records. (see http://www.londonfhc.org/content/catalogue?p=Ireland,Ireland...) for film number(s).

Look at https://familysearch.org/locations to find if there is a library near to you.

I am sorry I cannot be of more help.

Jim

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 12:52AM GMT
Thanks Jim
Will try the LDS Our library has an ancestry account
Do you know of Haggans
Elizabeth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions