Search for content in message boards

Robert SANDERS, b. ca 1760, Guilford / Rockingham Co. NC > Montgomery Co. VA

Robert SANDERS, b. ca 1760, Guilford / Rockingham Co. NC > Montgomery Co. VA

Posted: 23 Sep 2013 7:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SANDERS, LORTON, THOMPSON, AKERS, BRATTON
Hello all,

Looking for any information on Robert SANDERS, b. abt 1760, probably Guilford Co. NC. Believe he was in the Revolutionary War. Wife's name was Anna. What was her last name? He relocated to Montgomery Co. VA after 1800. Known or probable children, all married around 1820 in Montgomery Co VA:

Robert Jr. m. Betsey LORTON
Micajah m. Rebeckah THOMPSON
Julius m. Lydia BRATTON
Elizabeth m. Bird AKERS
Anthony m. Lovicy AKERS
Peter Francis m. Elizabeth THOMPSON
Clarissa m. Davidson AKERS

Where are Robert and Anna buried?

Robert's father was John Jr. Sanders who died in 1780 during the Rev. War on a march to South Carolina. His wife's name was Susannah. What was her last name?

By DNA testing we know that this family is somehow related to Julius Sanders who was killed by Indians in 1861 Uvalde Tx. Would like to know the exact relationship.

Would love to know any more details or hints for further research.

Thanks very much in advance.

Glenn Sanders

Re: Robert SANDERS, b. ca 1760, Guilford / Rockingham Co. NC > Montgomery Co. VA

Posted: 24 Sep 2013 6:34PM GMT
Surnames: Sanders/Saunders, Miller, Mercer, Thornburg/Thornbrough, Williams, Lambert, Thomas
Hi Glen,
We've communicated in the past about our Sanders/Saunders lines. Julius Sanders of Rockingham Co., NC to Uvalde Co., TX was my 3rd great grandfather. Would like to discuss Sanders' line.
Thank you,
Gayle Miller
Please email me off the list at gayletx@bellsouth.net

Re: Robert SANDERS, b. ca 1760, Guilford / Rockingham Co. NC > Montgomery Co. VA

Posted: 8 Jan 2015 4:02AM GMT
Hello Gayle,

Do you show the father of Julius Saunders as Stephen Saunders, and grandfather as James Saunders of Rockingham Co., NC? If yes, do you have information regarding where Stephen and James came to Rockingham from?

I've been looking into this group over the past couple of years, and judging from their names and ages, and the names of near neighbors, a fairly good circumstantial case can be made that they were all from the Willis River area of Albemarle/Buckingham Co., VA and are descendants of James Sanders and Sarah Scrimshire who married in New Kent Co., VA in 1698.

Please let me know if you can shed any light on their whereabouts before Rockingham.

Justin Sanders.

Posted: 9 Jan 2015 1:24PM GMT
Hi Justin,

I responded but don't know if you received so here's one more attempt. Here's what I show for Julius "Jules" Sanders:
Julius Sanders/Saunders b. 1793-94 Rockingham Co., NC; d. 04 Mar 1861 Uvalde Co., TX
Stephen Saunders b. abt 1755 Rockingham or Halifax Co., NC
John Saunders, SR b. 1715 Halifax Co., NC; d. 1785 Orange Co. m. Sarah Cox
Robert Saunders b. abt 1690 York Co.; d. Bef 25 Jun 1766 York Co., VA
Our Sanders line proven back to Stephen.

James Saunders of Rockingham Co. was not Stephen's father, although at one time we believed that to be true. Supposedly this James Saunders of Rockingham lived to be well over 100 yrs. old.

Gayle

Posted: 10 Jan 2015 3:41PM GMT
Hi Justin, the Robert from my original query in this thready would be the grandson of John Sr. in the lineage Gayle gives above. We have a lot of property records of this John Sr. showing him in Halifax and Orange counties before landing in Guilford Co. NC.

Can you please share with us your research on the Willis River Sanders? This could be very valuable information for us.

The immediate descendents of the James who lived to be 117 years old are pretty well documented, I think.

Cheers. Gayle, great to hear from you again!

Glenn

Posted: 12 Jan 2015 6:46AM GMT
Hello Gayle,

Sorry I did not reply sooner. I was not notified that someone had replied to my query.

If you are certain that Stephen Sanders was not the son of James and was born in Halifax Co., NC then it is not likely he connects with my line of Sanders, and I will spare you the details.

The person I am really intrigued about is Julius Sanders. In the 1820's in Wilson Co., he lived near Richard Saunders, a brother of my great (x3) grandfather, William Sanders. In 1830 in Hayward Co. he is listed on the same page as Brice H. Sanders, my great (x2) grandfather's oldest son from his first marriage. In 1840 he is in Monroe Twp. of Sevier Co., AR; my great (x2) grandfather, Thomas Sanders, was living in the neighboring Township of Franklin. In addition, every generation of my ancestors had someone named Julius Sanders living near them: Albemarle, VA circa 1750; Bedford, VA circa 1800; and Sumner, TN circa 1790. I have long suspected a relation, but have yet to find proof of one.

Someone on the Sanders surname DNA Project (FTDNA) lists Julius as his earliest known ancestor, and we do not match. But, from previous experience with other DNA projects (I am the contact person and sponsor of two donors in the Brown Surname Project) I have become accustomed to the idea that claims donors make are often based on faulty research, and I can't help but wonder if that is the case with this donor.

Thanks for the update on your line. If there is anything you'd like to discuss, please contact me by email at justinfromaz@earthlink.net

Justin Sanders.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic