Search for content in message boards

Alabama Cherokee's about 1840-1850

Duncan Cherokees

Candace Gray (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DUNCAN, GRAY, CRANFORD, FERRELL, JONES, WILKES, HANSEN, BENGE, CROWDER, CRIDER, ARUNDELL, LEWIS, BEAVERT, CONYERS
Hi John, I don't have any info on DUNCANS in Clark County Arkansas, but I do have DUNCANS on both sides of my father's line. I belong to a DUNCAN list that has an unbelievable data base. I am also researching my Cherokee ancestry and would be happy to share what info I have. There are DUNCANS on the Reservation Rolls of 1817 (Eastern Cherokee) and on the Emmigration Rolls same year.
Candace Cranford Gray graywind@megalink.net

Alabama Cherokee's about 1840-1850

John F.Mathis (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Duncan
I am seeking information about my great GGgrandfather, who was I believe of the Cherokee tribe and born in Alabama. I find him in the 1850 census in Clark County Arkansas, and my Greatgrandmother Martha Jane who was his first daughter then listed as 12 years old. She later was married to my Great Grandfather John (unknown) Mathis, my Grand Father was the first child of John and Martha Jane, whose name was John Thomas "Tom" Mathis, who was married to Maggie Bates Bourland in clark county Arkansas in 1898, and my Father was born in Jan 1900, Samuel Bates Mathis. I have been able to find lots of information on the Bourlands and Bates, but very little on the Duncan and Mathis ancestors

Duncan Clan

Posted: 11 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 31 May 2002 3:08AM GMT
Surnames: Duncan, Younge, Deese, Christian, Grammer
These names are fome Tuscaloosa county,Alabama My Grandmother "Edna Duncan" Married "Doctor Nick Deese"
My grandmother's father was "Jake Duncan" he married
"Jose or Josephien Younge" They came from Spott , Alabama.
My mother tells me that grandpaw Duncan was a Horse Trader
And ran a Wagon rental business in Tuscaloosa,Alabama until
he retired.

LOOKING

sherry herridge (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: crider
I KNOW THAT MY GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER JOHN CRIDER WAS WED TO HENERETTA ??? WHO WAS FULL BLOOD APACHE , THEY TRAVELD IN A CIRCUS AROUND THE STATE OF TEXAS, BURNETT,AND THEY OFTEN STAYED AT THE RESERVATIONS , HENERTTA DIED GIVING BIRTH TO MY GREAT GRAND MOTHER DOLLY HENETTA CRIDER, THAT IS ALL I KNOW EXSEPT SHE DID HAVE A SISTER HER NAME WAS ELIZABETH CRIDER THE OLDER CHILD OF JOHN AND HENERETTA

Crider

Candace (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Cranford, Gray, Duncan, Ferrell, Jones, Crider, Arundel, Hanson, Wilkes
Hi Sherry, Do you have any idea where your gggrandfather John Crider was born? And and estimate of date of birth? Happy hunting. Candace Gray (descendent of Martha Crider b. abt. 1770 in SC.)

Re: Alabama Cherokee's about 1840-1850

Posted: 26 Jun 2001 2:36PM GMT
Surnames: Paine, Payne,Carrell, Bynum,Mitchell, Bates
John,
You say you have alot of info. on Bates. Do you have any Mitchells in your Bates info.? My Humphrey Bates Mitchell says he was born in Kentucky 1808. He married Keziah Bynum in DeKalb Co. Ala. Keziah was born 1810 in Tenn. They had Martha Jane Mitchell born 1829. Martha Jane Mitchell married Achibald J. Horton Dec. 9, 1849 in DeKalb Co. Ala. They had Ellender S. Horton born Feb. 4, 1856 she married Asa Paine/ Payne born 1855. They had Leona Paine/Payne born Jun. 11, 1875. Leona Paine married Marion Carrol/Carrell Dec. 11, 1893 in Jackson Co. Ala.
I believe My Humphrey Bates Mitchell was in Tenn. at one point where he met Keziah Bynum. I know Keziahs brother James Bynum was in Tenn. Keziah swore a deposition in on his war pension. Humphrey having the middle name Bates could be that his mother was a Bates. Hope you can help.
Regards,
K.Moore

Re: Alabama Cherokee's about 1840-1850

Posted: 29 Apr 2002 11:38PM GMT
I was born Samuel Bates Mathis III in LittleRock Ark in 1946. My real father Samuel B. Mathis Jr was born in 1921. He might be your brother. My mother divorced and moved when I was 3 and I have had no contact with that side of the Family since then. Please let me know if we might be related. I was subsequently adopted and my name changed to Deakin.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions