Search for content in message boards

Louisville Anzeiger - Longtime German Newspaper

Louisville Anzeiger - Longtime German Newspaper

Posted: 9 Oct 2011 12:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sinder, Fischer
Does Anyone have any know of the Louisville Anzeiger Newspaper. My family in Louisville comes from German descendant and was wondering if perhaps I could find out obituaries in that newspaper. This longtime German newspaper went out of print on March 4, 1938 presumably because of the anti-German views that were around due to pre WWII. I do not speak German but was wondering if a researcher out there might know about the newspaper and be able to help me find obituaries and news etc.
Thanks,
Alicia
sinderkentucky@hotmail.com

Re: Louisville Anzeiger - Longtime German Newspaper

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 4:29PM GMT
Hi Alicia, The Filson Club in Louisville has the paper on microfilm. Our problem is the same as yours, though--we don't speak German. They may have someone there who does--I don't know, but they do have the paper available for research. Hope this helps. Sue

Posted: 28 Oct 2011 5:41AM GMT
The University of Louisville also has the Louisville Anzeiger newspaper on microfilm. You can find it at the Ekstrom Library on campus. There is no charge to go to this library.

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 2:26AM GMT
From what I have been told there isn't anyone left that can read/translate the Old German used in the Louisville Anzeiger. I would love to be able to get hold of these newspapers in possibly an Epublication, but so far it looks as if there is only the microfilms. Because of my father's family being all German I am hoping to read up, study, etc. anything I can find on possibly reading/translating what I find in the newspapers. Also am hoping I can eventually find EPublications of the Irish American newspaper that was in Louisville since my birth mother's family has the Irish.

Betty

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 6:26PM GMT
The Filson Historical Society has a "Louisville Anzeiger Death Listing" in its library. It is a tyscript that lists date published, date of death and name of the deceased. It covers 1847 through 1864, and possibly part of 1865. This would help a researcher find the correct issue.

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 3:14AM GMT
My family ancestors are from Germany ,Ireland and Italy. I now reside in Washington state and was wondering if any of the newspapers are online or does one have to be back in Louisville to check them?
Thanks for any info.

Rita Schupp Smith

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 3:50AM GMT
Rita, The Louisville Anzeiger has some of it online the other paper which I have found information in is the The Irish American on Ky visual library on line.
John Lammers

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 4:18AM GMT
Thanks so much John. I will check into both. Do you know if there was an Italian paper?

Rita Smith

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 5:48PM GMT
John could you provide a link to the online resource of The Louisville Anzeiger. I have been unable to find it myself.
Thanks,
Alicia
sinderkentucky@hotmail.com

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 8:14PM GMT
I created a listing of all deaths reported in the Louisville Anzeiger from 1849 thru 1864 and some from 1865 and placed at the Filson Historical Society in Louisville in the 1990s. I recently placed the listing on the internet. The columns for the later years need some work on alignment but is readable. See
http://louisvilleanzeigerlisting.yolasite.com/
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions