Search for content in message boards

Searching for town of origin

Searching for town of origin

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 10:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Konecny, Janes, Asanad, Hakle, Vondra, Jasa, Navratil
In tracing my Czech roots, I can not seem to find how to discover where my ancestors were from in Bohemia. I also can not find any records outside of the US for any of them.
The people I am looking for are: John Konecny and wife Mary, Vader Janes and Marie Asanad, Josef Hakle and Minnie Vondra, and Frantisek "Franz" Jasa (1828-1913) and Anna Navratil (1828-1902).
Any help is much appreciated!
Shella

Re: Searching for town of origin - Konecny

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 1:59AM GMT
Just coincidentally, my husband's great great aunt married a Konecny, but in Moravia, not Bohemia. You said "came from" so I gather that they immigrated to the US. You can get better help from those of us who love the challenge by telling us where they immigrated to, their approximate birth dates, and point us to census records, etc. There are clues every so often, such as research done on other folks in the same town, who might have come from the same village as yours.

Vader Janes and Marie Asanad don't look like any Czech names I've ever seen, so maybe they are from a specific region. Hakle? Could it be Hakel? Vondra, Jasa, and Navratil are common names every where.

If you want to write to me offline, my e-mail is mary@levesque.com

Mary in Omaha

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 8:09PM GMT
John and Mary Konecny- Other trees have her maiden name as Steamy but I can not find anything to verify this. In the 1860 census, John said he was 60, therefore born around 1800 and Mary about 1815. They immigrated to Johnson county, Iowa.
Vader Janes and Marie Asanad- I know nothing of them except that they had a daughter named Helen born Mar 1857.
Josef Hakle and Minnie Vondra- I have seen Hakle spelt many different ways, this is just how it was spelt on his son's death record (Josef Hakle Jr born 1 Aug 1841 in Bohemia).
Frantisek Jasa and Anna Navratil- Franz was born May 1828, Anna in Apr of the same year. They came to America in 1879 on the Suevia, on the departure list their last residence was listed as Neustadtl, Mähren though other records have them born in Bohemia. Franz and Anna lived in Linn county, Iowa.

Neustadt, Mähren

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 10:39PM GMT
In actapublica, Neustadt is Nové Město na Moravě. I found the index for "J", but could not find Jasa.

http://actapublica.eu/matriky/brno/prohlizec/6833/?strana=16...

They left from there, but this does not mean they were born there. Did Franz and Anna Jasa have children over there?

Re: Neustadt, Mähren

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 12:11AM GMT
Yes. Frantiska (Apr 1851) and Antonia (Jan 1857). I believe they also had a son, Joseph, but no birth date for him.

Re: Neustadt, Mähren records

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 4:17AM GMT
I found the index for the years 1851 and 1857, but nothing in the "J" listing that could be Jasa. Since the ship's record listed Moravia, I think it is likely they were from there. You see it where Moravia is crossed out and Bohemia written in, for whatever reason, but I've never seen Bohemia crossed out (when it was correct) and Moravia / Mahren written in.

The index that I found contains entries for a handful of other villages, too, so if they were from around Neustadt, then you'd expect to see the name on the record. The link for the 1857 index:

http://actapublica.eu/matriky/brno/prohlizec/6860/?strana=12

You have made a start. Someday you will find the records.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 10:48AM GMT
There is another Neustadt in Moravia, part of Třebíč city. And a lot of Jaša people there nowadays:
http://www.kdejsme.cz/prijmeni/Ja%C5%A1a%20Ja%C5%A1ov%C3%A1/...

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 2:18PM GMT
I had looked at the Trebic Nove Mesto briefly last night. To find it in actapublica, you have to enter just nove mesto, not neustadt. The index book is 11022, and the "J" listings appear to start on snimek 50. The reason I didn't look long is that it is a different style than other index books I have looked at, and I needed to study it a bit.

On
http://actapublica.eu/matriky/brno/prohlizec/7037/?strana=53

I found what appears to be Jasa, Veronika in 1851.

On the next page, Cecilia. As you might guess, I am writing this post at the same time as I'm looking at the records. I just noticed that this index starts in 1824, so Frantisek Jasa could be in it. Snimek 51 would be the spot, and I don't see him. So I checked "N" on snimek 92, but did not find Navratil, either.

You might wonder why I'm telling you all the things I didn't find. This is the process we all go through when we are looking for persons. I put the links in there, so the readers who do a lot better with the handwriting than me can go take a quick look.

Shella, the Jasa families in Nebraska came from Horni Vilemovice, also near Trebic. Since I am doing research in that area for a friend, I will also watch out for your Jasa line and the others, too. The message boards are full of examples where someone found the answer years later.

Mary in Omaha
mary@levesque.com

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 2:34PM GMT
I found a Johann Konecny, 1802, in the town where my husband's Konecny relatives are from.

http://actapublica.eu/matriky/brno/prohlizec/5398/?strana=72

The next step would be to find a marriage record in the same area that matches what you know. If it works, then Johann 1802 is probably your Jan Konecny. If not, it's back to looking.

Shall we place bets on whether there's a connection between our lines? :)

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 6:06PM GMT
I'm having a terrible time reading the first names and places. Could you please tell me those for the Konecnys?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic