Search for content in message boards

Leroy, Mower Co. families

Leroy, Mower Co. families

Posted: 16 Oct 2004 12:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vargeson, Jones
Looking for info on Moses Vargeson and Giles Jones families in Leroy. Thanks for any help!

Re: Leroy, Mower Co. families

Mark Ashley (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2004 1:32AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2006 5:53AM GMT
Surnames: Brill, Bacon, Stevens, Vargson, Hayes, Daily, Vargason, Vargeson, Jones
History of Mower County 1884, Leroy Township.

During the year,1854, George and John Brill, Samuel Bacon, P. H. Stevens, Moses Vargson and Wentworth Hayes came in to swell the already fair-sized colony of Pioneers.

Vargason was a native of Pennsylvanna, coming from Waukon, Iowa, to this place. He pre-empted the west half of the southeast quarter of section 33. He lived there about ten years, then sold out and bought land on section 35, on which place he died in 1879.

There is some information on Zibi B. Daily he married Jane C, Vageson August 01,1855. Jane was born in Sharon, Michigan.

In the History of Mower County 1911, Moses name spelled Vargason and Jane's name spelled Vargeson.

I have not found any information on the Giles Jones family.

There is a J.C. Jones "a practicing physician" who came to the Leroy area in 1855 with Zibi B. Daily and others. In 1865 J.C. Jones sold out and moved to Missouri.

Mark

Barb (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2004 6:43PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2006 5:53AM GMT
Surnames: Vargason, Jones
Thanks, Mark, for the info. Any Vargasons still in the Mower County area? The Jones family I'm looking for was not the doctor's family. Giles Jones married Harriet Janette Vargason in Mower County in 1859. His father was Moses Jones, who supposedly died in LeRoy in 1858, though I can't find anything to confirm that. The Jones' came from Illinois and would have come to Mower Co. after 1850. Any other info. would be greatly appreciated as I'm kind of stuck!! Thanks again!

Mark Ashley (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2004 1:17AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2006 5:57AM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Vargason, Daily, Gee, Vargisson
New Town on the Frontier, By Zona Perry Jones,1993
Giles T. Jones, native of New York, and his wife Jenette, native of Wisconsin, came to LeRoy township prior to 1865. He was a farmer. In his household 1870 were: Giles T. Jones, 29; Jenette, 25; Oscar E., 6;and Arthur W., 3. Both children were born in Minnesota. Another child appearing on the 1875 census was E.C. Jones, female, Age 2.

Mower County Transcript, Thursday May 08,1879, pg-4, col-5
Moses Vargason, an old pioneer of LeRoy, was buried on Tuesday, 29th ult.From the Independent we learn he was the father of a large family, Mrs. Z. B. Daily and G. T. Jones being among the number. ( The LeRoy newspaper The Independent no micro film for the year 1879)

Mower County Transcript, Wednesday June 04,1902,pg-7, col-1&2
The remains of Mrs. Gerna Vargason, who died at Hawarden, Iowa Thursday, May 29, were brought here for interment, arriving Sunday morning. Funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church at one o'clock Sunday, conducted by Rev. J. R. Jones. Mrs. Vargason was a former resident of LeRoy, having come here in 1855, residing here for many years, then moving to Iowa, where she made her home with her daughter, Mrs. B. A. Gee. Mrs. Vargason was 97 years of age. She was the mother of eight children, seven of whom are still living, among them Mrs. Z. B. Daily of LeRoy. Her death was the result of a fall received some time ago from which
owing to her advanced age, she could not recover. Interment in LeRoy cemetery.

Mower County Transcript, Wednesday, May 13,1903, pg-7 col-1
On Saturday morning the remains of Mrs. B. A. Gee were brought to LeRoy for interment accompanied by her husband. Sophia Vargason was born in Michigan May 02,1934, and came to Minnesota in 1855. After her marriage to Mr. Gee they made their home in LeRoy for several years then moving to Hawarden, Iowa, where her death occurred May 05,1903. She has been a great suffer for several years. A short service was held at the home of her sister, Mrs. J. C. Daily. Interment in LeRoy cemetery.

Mower County Transcript, Wednesday, June 01,1898, pg.10, col-1
Another old settler has passed away Zili B. Daily died at his home in LeRoy Tuesday evening, May 24,1898, aged 67 years 9 months and 12 days. Mr. Daily had been suffering for some time from the effects of cancer and other complications and family and friends were anxious, yet the end came with a sudden shock as there was little thought that death would come so quickly. He bore his suffering with the same patient resignation that characterized his life. Always pleasant and genial to all he had endeared himself to family, neighbors and friends. He was born in North Moreland, Pa., and came to LeRoy in 1855. In August, 1855 he was married to Jane C. Vargason, who with 8 sons surive him. their oldest son Daniel Z. having preceded him to the land of rest. The surviving sons are Geo. J. of LeRoy; Jonh F. of St.Paul; Lewis M. of Taopi; Chase M. of LeRoy; Willie Z. of Sutton; Dr. Milton of Sheldon, Iowa; Otis H. and David M. still at home. Mr. Daily was a member of the first board of supervisors and has since held various town offices and was an honored member of the Masonic order under whose auspices the funeral services ere conducted. The mourning friends have the sympathy of the community.

Census 1860 town of LeRoy, Mower Co. MN.
Moses Vargisson, 55, farmer, born PA.
Mina " 51 "
Sophia " 25 "
Idelia " 13 "
Adaline " 8 "

Census 1870 LeRoy, Mower Co.MN.
Vargason Moses, 63 male, white, farmer, born PA
" Jemina,62 female, white, keeps house, born Pa
" Adaline,18 female, white, at home, born Wis.

LeRoy City Cemetery

Vargason, Jamina b. 10-11-1807 d. 5-29-1902
Vargason, Moses b. 12-15-1804 d. 4-28-1879

There are some Jones buried in the LeRoy Cemetery will check to see if they are the Jones you are researching.

I dont think their are Vargasons in Mower County any more

Mark.

Mark Ashley (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2004 1:40AM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2005 2:50PM GMT
Surnames: Jones
Barb,

1880 Census LeRoy Township,Mower County, MN.

Jones, Giles T. 39, white, male, farming, born New York, father: born Maine, mother: born New York

Jones, Harriett J. 37, white, female, keeps house, born Wis., father born PA. mother born PA.

Jones, Oscar E. 16, son, white, male, works farm, born MN.
Jones, Arthur W. 13,son, white, male, works farm, born MN.
Jones, Esther C. 7,daughter, white, female, born MN.
Jones, Elmer E. 4, son, white, male, born MN.
Jones, Loyd L. 1, son, white, male, born MN.

I checked the census 1895 & 1900 Leroy Township Mower County, MN. did not find the Giles Jones family. "no 1890 census"

The Jones that are buried in the LeRoy Cemetery

Alta F. Jones b. 5-27-1892 d. 6-27-1968 "wife of Martin"

Martin R. Jones b. 3-17-1907 d. 1-22-1945,Germany, "son of John T. Jones"

John T. Jones b. 1879 d. 1968

Minnie M. Jones b. 1885 d. 6-12-1965 "wife of John T, Jones.

Donald J. Jones b.1914 d. 1986

John R. Jones b. 6-1842 d. 12-20-1900

Not sure if they are connected to Giles T. Jones.

Barb (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2004 11:28PM GMT
Thanks again for the info!

Barb (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2004 11:34PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2005 2:49PM GMT
Mark, would it be easy for you to look up the obit for the John R. Jones buried in the LeRoy Cemetery? I'd like to know if he's a brother to Giles. I don't believe the others are related. Thanks so much!

Mark Ashley (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2004 12:55AM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2005 2:48PM GMT
Barb, I checked the Austin and Mower County papers for John R. Jones obit., did not find anything. There is no micro film for the LeRoy Independent paper, year 1900. Checked the court house to see if John R. Jones died in Mower County did not find a record of his death. Also check the census for LeRoy Township, Mower Co. the years
1860,1870,1880,1885,1900.did not find him listed. LeRoy is just north of the Minn/Iowa state line. John maybe lived in Howard Co. Iowa, might be a place to check.
Mark

Barb (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2004 1:39AM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2005 2:47PM GMT
Giles Jones lived in Howard Co. for a short time after his marriage so I will try there. Thanks for the idea. I'm really stuck on this family and you have been a huge help, thanks so much. I tried getting records from the Mower Co. courthouse a year or so ago but didn't get a response from them. Also made a trip to the Mower Co. Museum a few years ago. Very intersting stuff there, but not much help on the family. Moses Jones apparently died in Mower Co. in 1858 but I haven't been able to find him anywhere. I would also like to find out what happened to his widow, Elizabeth. She also went by Eliza and Betsy. If you would ever come across any further info, I'd like to hear from you! Feel free to email me, bakenned@hotmail.com. Thanks again for all your help!

Posted: 10 Dec 2004 4:17AM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2005 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Avery
Hi Mark
Just saw your posting again. You seem to be very informed about Mower county,,, Austin, Minn. I am hoping to find information about my family the Avery's Given names are William J. 1857; Annie Avery 1858; Harrison Avery father of William J. Any help would be truly appreciated.
Thanks Lynne Burrows
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions