heather (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2000 12:41AM GMT
Her father was Barney and grandfather was James

Re: Nancy Carter

Posted: 23 Jul 2004 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Dec 2004 7:28PM GMT
Surnames: Carter
I have a copy of the Barney Carter estate settlement and it does list Nancy Carter and Meredith Carter. It did not list Milton Carter, of whom I am a descendant. I would be very interested in knowing about the James Carter that was Nancy's grandfather. I have seen many sources that indicate that Samuel Carter was Barney Carter' father. I am still trying to find definite proof that Nancy and Meredith Carter were cousins to Milton Carter or if by some mistake in the records that they were all brother and sisters.

Posted: 25 Jul 2004 4:49PM GMT
Surnames: CARTER, SNYDER, SMITH, ANDERSON
What information do you have on Milton? I am descended from Daniel Carter, Sr. He and his second wife, Ruth Warner Carter, had a son Milton, and a son Samuel. I don't know much more than that, because my ancestors are Daniel and his first wife, Nancy (Anny) Snyder Carter.

Posted: 27 Jul 2004 3:14AM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2004 7:28PM GMT
Surnames: Carter and Jacks and Martin
Milton Carter of Surry County, North Carolina appears to be closely tied to the Greene County Tennessee Carters and to the Samuel Carter descendants of Surry County and Wilkes County, North Carolina Carters. I have not researched this recently, but this is the information that I found about 23 or 24 years ago.. Milton and Littleton Carter were brothers in law because they both married Jacks sisters. Milton Carter married Elizabeth Jacks May 2, 1824 and Littleton Carter married the sister Mary Carter. Littleton was Barney Carter's son. Wilson Leeke signed as the bondsman for Milton Carter and Elizabeth Jacks to be married in Surry County, N.C. and Milton Carter signed as the bondsman for Wilson Leeke and Vicey Carter to be married on the same day. Vicey Carter is the sister of Littleton and the daughter of Barney Carter. Littleton was the administrator for Barney Carter's will. He listed 14 children in the settlement and states in the records that there were 14 children. Milton Carter is not listed as a child in the final settlement, but there are 14 children listed. The Jacks family wrote letters to Littleton Carter and his wife in North Carolina back in the 1850s. They wrote with love and concern for how Milton Carter and his family were doing and so, I am confident that they did not forget Milton. Milton Carter named his oldest son Richard after the Jacks side, and he also had children named Alfred, Mary, John, Hiram Jasper and Ransom (Wade) from his first wife.
There appears to be a tie between Milton Carter and Ephraim Carter. Ephraim is the son of Samuel Carter. The 1823 Circuit Court records of Surry County show a case of Alfred Martin versus Ephraim Carter and Mel Carter, an abbreviation for Milton I think, because there is no other person in this part of the country named this. Alfred Martin is the brother of William Martin and the son of Obadiah Martin. The census records of 1810 for Surry County N.C. show Ephraim Carter and other Carters living next door to the Jacks family that Milton married in to. The Surry County Tax list for 1826 lists Ephraim and Milton Carter. The 1827 tax list for the Jonesville district of Surry County lists Littleton Carter, Milton Carter, and Ephraim Carter. In 1828, Milton Carter was in Jackson County, Alabama.
Milton Carter is found in the County Court Records of Surry, County N.C. about 1825 with Nicholas Jacks as owing a debt. Jonathan Haines satisfied the debt. Jonathan Haines was kin to the Martins.
Milton Carter married a second time to Minerva Givens and had the following children:
Alzena, James W., Marion, Andrew Jackson, Catherine, Rufus, Samuel Maxey, Matthew Dennie, and Emma. Milton died without leaving a will. So far there are only speculations from Milton’s descendants as to who Milton’s father was. I think the answer can be found however.
I am descended from Milton as follows: Alfred B. Carter – Hiram J. Carter – James Warner Carter – Earl Carter.

Posted: 27 Jul 2004 5:53PM GMT
It's not the same family unfortunately. You have a lot of information!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions