Search for content in message boards

Stuck!

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 4:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jan 2013 11:00PM GMT
Surnames: Reese, Greenrod, Greenwood
I would appreciate any help or advice because I am stuck!

I am having difficulty finding information regarding my 2nd great grandmother Mary Jane Reese (nee. Greenrod or Greenwood). The only information I am able to find is that she was born in England abt 1857, married my 2nd great grandfather in Philadelphia on Nov 20, 1876. She passed away on July 6, 1896 in Philadelphia.

I am looking for more information about her family. Where exactly was she born in England, when she came to the states, her parents, etc.

Again, I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks!

Re: Stuck!

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 5:28PM GMT
Where did you get the data on her marriage and death?

The documents of these events should have some clues, ie; names of the parents.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 5:37PM GMT
Her return of death but it does not mention anything about her family. It only mentions name, color, sex, age, married or single, date of death, cause of death, occupation, place of birth, ward, street #, date of burial, and place of burial.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11609-75295-73?...

The return of marriage & the church records but no additional information was found.

The return of marriage has grooms name, occupation, residence, place of birth, age, full name of female, place of residence, place of birth and age.

The church records is similar information.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 5:45PM GMT
Have you searched ships manifests for her entry?

Children's bap records can sometimes cite associated family members as godparents. This is a back-door method of building out the family.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 9:03PM GMT
If you use the Free BMD you will find three Mary Jane Greenwoods, June quarter, Ref.96 110, Sept. quarter Ref.9a 165 and Dec. quarter 9b 151, all Yorkshire. However if you look at the 1861 Census there is only one Mary Jane Greenwood of that age, living with Susannah, 52, Esther, 19, Hannah, 18. If there is any chance any of the other names ring a bell you might be on to the right person. As most of the entries seem to be for Yorkshire it looks as though it could be a Yorkshire name. Hope this is of help.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 9:45PM GMT
SO I think I am headed in the right direction. I knew she was married in 1876 and the church/state records has her listed as 19, which means she was born about 1857. With that information, I tried Greenrod but nothing came up. Than I tried searching for Greenwood and with the information I had narrowed it down to Mary Greenwood who came to the US in 1874 with her family, she was 17.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&...

I hope this is the correction direction!

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 6:45AM GMT
It may be the correct Mary, but there is a lot more proof needed before you can say with certainty. Is there a church record, a naturalization record, any estate papers on Mary?

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 8:00PM GMT
The problem is that I am not able to find many records for her. The only US census I can locate is the 1880 census, the 1890 census may have helped but obviously I can't get that one and than she passed away in 1896.

I have the Church record for the marriage and the city's return of marriage. This is where the problem is, the handwriting is hard to decipher. I have uploaded the files to my tree.

I have her return of death but that does not state much information. I also have the cemetery record but again not much lead to her maiden name.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 8:34PM GMT
Would there be a naturalization record for her? I thought that women became naturalized when they were married.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 9:12PM GMT
No, there would be no naturalization record for her.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions