Search for content in message boards

Isaac Phillips Family NC/GA/AL/MS

Isaac Phillips Family NC/GA/AL/MS

Posted: 8 May 2010 11:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 May 2010 11:51PM GMT
Surnames: Phillips, Beck, Broadwell
New to this site. Brickwall is for Isaac died 4/1821 in Burke Cty NC/?born in Rowan NC/wife ?/siblings ?/born under rock possible. Son Abner 3/10/1893 Burke Cty NC/died 7/31/1862 Alpharetta GA, burried in Phillips Cementary there. Siblings ???/Abner 1st wife Nancy Beck, children

1st 3 born NC...other Forsythe GA

Alpheus 1818/?19/wife Mary Walker/died before 1880/EtowahAL
Andrew ? /wife Luretia /died ?
Albert 6/27/1820/wife ? /died 12/15/1902 ?

Alston 1824/wife Mary Ann Nix/died C.W.7/12/1863 GA
Allen ?/Frances Elizabeth/died 6/19/1899
Alman 1827?/wife ? /??????????????????
Matilda8/28/1828/hus.Andrew Harris/died 7/12/1864
Ambrose 3/8/1832/wife Mary Jane /8/8/1862
Tabitha 1835/hus.George Fowler /???????????????

Abner 2nd wife Nancy Broadwell
children all born in GA
Emily 4/7/1843/died 4/11/1915 Roswell Ga
Sarah 10/28/1844/hus John Goodwin/died ??? Ga Milton
Abel 10/5/1846/wife Sarah E. Day/died 1/28/1929Ga Milton Alfred "Doc"9/6/1848/Sarah A. Maxwell/died10/22/1922Ga Cobb
Aaron 9/1/1850/wife ?? died before 1860 Milton Ga
Mary Selina 8/18/1861/hus Charles Perry/died 1914 Roswell GA

My line is
Alston
son JOhn Wiley 10/23/1849 died 11/13/1933 Eva. AL/wife Mary Ann Goodwin..
his son Andrew Jackson 8/26/1881 died 1956 Alcorn MS
his wife Ollie Hayes she died 1956 also.
his son Walter Sanford 7/16/1913 Moulton, AL/died 1986 in Alcorn MS/wife Vertie Mae Jumper she died before him

Have searched for several years for info on Isaac or other family siblings and no luck. With all the Phillips' on this site surely we are related to somebody, Please

Thanks for any assistance
Elizabeth
elewis1963@gmail.com

Re: Isaac Phillips Family NC/GA/AL/MS

Posted: 9 May 2010 6:47PM GMT
Edited: 9 May 2010 11:51PM GMT
Hi, Elizabeth,

I am confused. In your subject title, you indicate that Isaac was married to Nancy Beck and then Nancy Broadwell. But in the body of your email, you say it was Isaac's son Abner who was married to Nancy Beck and then Nancy Broadwell.

We do have a descendant of an Isaac Phillips who was born about 1780 in Rowan Co NC in the DNA project. Here is the pedigree supplied by this descendant:

1. Isaac Phillips bc 1780 Rowan Co NC, m Nancy unknown
2. Jourdan Phillips bc 1810 Decatur Co GA, m Nancy Dees
3. Elijah Phillips b 7 Aug 1837 Decatur Co GA, m Mary Ann Powell
4. John Quincy Phillips b 24 Feb 1868 Decatur Co GA, m Anzilla Drucilla Balkcom
5. Daniel Dewitt Phillips b 21 Oct 1904 Holmes Co FL, m name withheld, protected

Nancy Kiser
Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project
www.phillipsdnaproject.com

Posted: 16 Jun 2010 9:45PM GMT
Hi Nancy,
This Daniel Curtis Phillips and that is my pedagree that you have sent to Elizabeth. Please copy me if you get a reply from her.

Thanks

Posted: 16 Jun 2010 11:02PM GMT
I will, Daniel.

Nancy

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 10:41PM GMT
Surnames: Philips, Bird
I am looking for an ISAAC PHILLIPS who married JANE BIRD (b. 1780, Randolph NC). She married 4 times so Isaac must have died young. She died in Jasper County GA. Her son William Phillips b. 26 Aug 1797 Randolph County, NC. Based on this Isaac is likely from Randolph NC area. Son William was married in Jasper County GA in 1816 so likely family is in Georgia by then?

Randolph County NC was formed 1779 from Guilford County NC.

Jasper County GA was formed from Baldwin County Ga in 1807. Originally called Randolph (GA), name was changed to Jasper County GA in 1812. Portion of Jasper County GA was carved away to form Newton County GA.

(Odd coincidence that Randolph was in NC and GA for this couple and I've always wondered if that added to any confusion.)

Thanks for any help with finding/confirming Isaac Phillips.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 4:12PM GMT
Hi, Lane,

Do you have any proof that Jane Bird married Isaac Phillips? The reason I ask is Jane Bird's son William did not name any of his sons Isaac. This would have been very unusual back in those days and I know William was following the traditional naming patterns, because he named his first born daughter Jane.

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser
Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 2:37AM GMT
No I don't. I'm at a dead end with Jane Bird. . If you have other options I can look at I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 5:08PM GMT
I have spent a lot of time studying the Phillips families of Jasper Co GA because some of my Phillips family lived there. However, DNA testing has proved there were at least two different unrelated Phillips families who lived in Jasper Co, and possibly three.

There was an Isaac Phillips who died in Jasper Co GA. It appears that Isaac died in 1807, because that is when his estate was appraised by the following men: Thomas Ramsey, Edmond Chapman, James Simmons, Z. Phillips and Thomas Haynes. Z. might stand for Zachariah. Zachariah belongs to my Phillips Family DNA Group 8. Here is a link to the lineage page for my Group 8:

http://www.phillipsdnaproject.com/ylineage/pedigrees-by-fami...

Letters of administration for Isaac's estate were granted to Jenny Phillips in January of 1813. I don't know whether or not she was Isaac's widow, but her name was not Jane. Also, Jane Bird Phillips supposedly married a man with the surname Russel on 10 Feb 1810. Therefore, in 1813, her name would have been Jane Russel, not Jenny Phillips.

If you go by naming conventions, it appears the father of your William Phillips was probably either named William or Lewis. Here is how I arrive at that deduction. William and Susan named their first child, a daughter born 23 Nov 1816, Jane after William's mother, Jane Bird. They named their second born child, a son born 16 Oct 1818, Joseph Hicks Phillips after William's stepfather, Joseph Hicks. They named their third child, a son born 24 Oct 1820, William Lewis Phillips. Usually, Southerners back in those days did not name a child after themselves until they had named one for each of their parents. This makes me suspect that William's father was also named William. However, he could have also been named Lewis.

I am convinced the only way to discover which Phillips family is your Phillips family is through Y-DNA testing. If you have a male relative with the surname Phillips, please encourage him to join the Phillips DNA Project and get tested.

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser
Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 4:21PM GMT
Thanks for the great info. Lots of great leads to check out. Phillips is my father's mother side so D A is not easy option unfortunately.

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: Phillips, Bird
Jenny Phillips m Radford Ellis 24 July 1810 in Jasper, Ga. He later married jane Jones in 1820 in Floyd County, GA. So in 1813, Jenny's name would have been Jenny Radford? There's a much later Jennie Phillips who married Francis M. Mercer in Jasper in 1861 so I'm wondering if there's another "Jenny Phillips" line?

Still looking.....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions