Search for content in message boards

More on Anna Kmoničkova for Isis00001

More on Anna Kmoničkova for Isis00001

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 6:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Feb 2013 6:15PM GMT
Anna Kmoniček Search

The purpose of this posting is to collect the various facts about Anna Kmoničkova (Kmoniček) posted earlier by Isis00001. The thread was getting long and hard to follow. I apologize in advance for the length of this post. Here is a list of dates and locations that I’ve gleaned from the earlier posts. Corrections are welcome.

Great grandmother Anna Kmoniček born 2 Apr 1875. Source: unknown.
Her husband Franz Tobola born 1876, possibly "Krasonov". His Madison County Nebraska WWI Draft card says 1877, but he was already hospitalized with a head injury at this time

Josef Tobola, brother of Franz, immigrates to Dodge, Nebraska, but when? The one arriving on 24 May 1892 went to Texas, and you can find the family there pretty consistently. The only other hit arrived on 28 Dec 1894, age 17, which would have him born about 1877. But I cannot get a hit on him in the 1900 census or even later.

Anna Kmoniček is born, 31 Mar 1900, nemanželska, in Bohemia. Source: unknown.

Franz Tobola, soldier, immigrates to Dodge, Nebraska, 6 Jul 1901 on the ship Phoenicia, arriving in New York from Strneych?.In Ancestry, image 19 of 38, line 19. Age 25. Last Residence and Final Destination, first image below. Further to the right, the record clearly says going to his brother Josef Tobola.

Anna Kmoniček (Kmoničkova) (b. 1876) immigrates to Dodge, Nebraska, 23 Dec 1903 on the ship Blucher, arriving in New York from Plotiste? In Ancestry, image 45 of 80, line 3. Age 28. Last Residence and Final Destination, second image below.

The final destination is probably phonetic for Enola, Ne where the couple eventually lived. Caution: Column 16 data is written both above and below the dotted line, not in the dotted box. So Anna is going to her bridegroom Franz Tobola in Snyder, NE, which is about 5 miles from Dodge, NE. Image not attached.

Franz Tobola and Anna Kmonicek marry. Marriage record not found, but I will examine the microfilms of Dodge County marriage licenses at the Omaha Public Library.

Franz and Anna move to Madison County, Nebraska. When?

Frank and Anna are clearly not in the 1910 census. Proof: the 5 children in the 1920 census are (with approximate birth years): Mary, 1906; Joe, 1907; Lambert, 1908; Mildred, 1910; Bessie, 1911. In the search form for the 1910 census, enter Lambert, born 1908 + or – 1 year. You get 14 hits, none with Frank or Anna as a parent. Using similar approaches with wildcards and the other names, no hits.

A 1910 story about a hired hand who had worked on the Tobola farm possibly ties into Franz’s head injury. Perhaps Franz was already hospitalized because of the head injury received and the family could not be reached for the census.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn95070058/1910-07-22...

Anna Kmoniček (b. 1900) immigrates to Dodge, Nebraska 20 March 1911 on the ship George Washington, but under the name Anna Tobola. In Ancestry, image 41 of 176, line 21.

Anna Tobola left an uncle Jos. Minařík; Vyšenovice p. Bela Boh. (I believe the “p” stands for a preposition such as “pod” which means “under” or “below”. Perhaps like we would say “just down the road from…”) Third attached image.

Possible explanation for the surname change: according to a poster in the Military Board, soldiers were not permitted to marry, so they set up household anyhow. So Franz could have resided in a city as part of a military assignment, and left for America from there, rather than from his homeland. Prussia tended to look the other way, because that meant that the army of Austria would be diminished. So it is entirely possible that Franz is actually Anna 1900’s father, just not listed on her birth record as such.

Now for some other clues. Frank Mares did not index the Czechs in Dodge County, so Margie Sobotka’s book doesn’t have them, either. However, Dodge, Nebraska (the village) was about 1 mile from the county line with Colfax county, so some Czechs living in Dodge owned land in Colfax, and thus made it into the book. There’s a Joseph Minařík from Strejčkovice, Přeštice, Plzen. Of course, the spelling is incorrect for contemporary maps. But using Zlatica’s idea about the immigration trail, and living near people you knew from before, there’s another family from Kolovec, Přeštice, Plzen, which can be located on the map. And not too far away, less than 10 km is the village of Strýčkovice. So this is a possible place to look for Anna’s relatives. No guarantee – just a possibility. It really isn’t that close to the village where she supposedly comes from. But there is a Vřeskovice not too far away, but that spelling is too different from Vyšenovice in the ship’s manifest, and is nowhere near Bela.

Probable relative Anna Tobola, age 18, marries Frank Sasse, age 27, on 5 Apr 1904. Father’s name is Jim Tobola, mother’s name is Marie Sterba. Witnesses were Vince Tobola and Joseph Buhacek. Source: microfilm of Dodge County marriage licenses, reel starting with 1904. Page 507 in the book. Frank Sasse’s parents are Gottfried Sasse and Ernestine Bendish. Index provided by WordPress and GOGS. Indexing is completed as far back as 1892, so if Frank Tobola and Anna Kmonicek were married in Dodge County, it should have been indexed. However, the only new information would possibly be the names of the parents of the bride and groom.

Frank Tobola’s draft card: Madison County Nebraska WWI Draft card says birth 1877, but he was already hospitalized at this time. Source: Ancestry images, 115 of 156, Nebraska> Madison County > Draft Card T > 115 of 156.

The only other Nebraska draft card for a Tobola is for Vaclav Tobola, born 13 Apr 1882, living in Scribner in Dodge County Nebraska. Source: Ancestry images, 124 of 167, Nebraska > Dodge County > Draft Card T > 124 of 167.

So we have five Tobolas found at various time in Nebraska: Frank b. abt. 1876, Josef b. abt. 1877, Vaclav b. about 1882, Anna b. abt. 1886, and the marriage witness Vince. Are they all from the same family? Are they Czech or Polish/Hungarians living in Bohemia? We wish Isis00001 good luck finding out.
Attachments:

Re: More on Anna Kmoničkova for Isis00001

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 7:08PM GMT
Hi.
Plotiste nad Labem is now suburb of Hradec Kralove. Registers are in archives Zamrsk. Tony.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 10:14PM GMT
Vyšehněvice, a village near Rohovládova Bělá and town Lázně Bohdaneč - but parish books are not digitized yet. Same goes for Plotiště books.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 10:51PM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2013 3:02PM GMT
OH! So they might be online at FamilySearch.org. Thank you very much. I personally have not needed to use either the Plzen archives or FamilySearch for my folks as they are all either in the Prague Archives or Brno Archives. Thank you so much.

Update: Aksamitnik's post stating that the records weren't online yet had not shown up at my end when I wrote this. Only Tonicek's. So this is amended to state that Isis00001 should watch for these records coming online, and hopefully she will find the records.

Re: Dodge County Marriage Records

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 7:02PM GMT
I examined the Dodge County marriage records, handwitten and proof-read indexes only, and did not find either Kmonicek or Tobola, other than the one I mentioned in the other post.

Colfax and Madison would be likely next choices, but we do not have those microfilms in Omaha.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 12:31AM GMT
The "p." is a common abbreviation for "pri," meaning near.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 12:35AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions