Search for content in message boards

Help with Surname of Butkay

Help with Surname of Butkay

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 6:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Butkay
Hello, so this is my first Time posting so forgive me if I mess up or put this in the wrong section. I am Trying to find information about the Surname Butkay. We (american family pronounce it Bud-Kay or Butt-Key) though both are probably pronounced wrong. We know that my Great grandfather with this last name came from the CZ area and now we would like to know what the heritage of his last name was. If anyone could help me that would be great.

Re: Help with Surname of Butkay

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 8:50PM GMT
The surname strikes me as originally Magyar/Hungarian and so probably from today's Slovakia rather than from the Czech Republic. In Magyar, Butkay or Butkai would mean "from Butka." There is a village called Budkovce in eastern Slovakia which was called Butka by Magyar-speakers. The surnames Budkaj, Butkay, and Budkai all occur in Slovakia today, although they are all rare.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 10:35PM GMT
thank you! That helps a lot.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 1:45AM GMT
Danielle

Map of Austria-Hungary
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/austhung.htm
http://brainworker.ch/Oesterreich/Austria-hungary.png

Do you know language of your ancestor? What was his first name? Some of his US documents should have a place of birth.

In Slovakia:
Priezvisko BUTKAI sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 7×, celkový počet lokalít: 5, v lokalitách:
MICHAĽANY, okr. TREBIŠOV – 2×;
NAD JAZEROM (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 2×;
SLOVENSKÉ NOVÉ MESTO, okr. TREBIŠOV – 1×;
JUH (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 1×;
ZÁPAD (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 1×;
Priezvisko BUTKAY sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 10×, celkový počet lokalít: 6, v lokalitách:
NAD JAZEROM (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 3×;
ŠTÓS, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 2×;
RUDLOVÁ (obec BANSKÁ BYSTRICA), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA – 2×;
HARICHOVCE, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 1×;
STARÉ MESTO (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 1×;
SÍDLISKO KVP (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 1×;
per page

Find a board about a specific topic