Search for content in message boards

William & Viola Miller

William & Viola Miller

Posted: 24 Jun 2010 3:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Miller, Zettler
I am looking for any info on William & Viola Miller that lived in Oneida in 1920. Their daughter/granddaughter, Jessie, married Emil Zettler. Thank you!
Robin Edds Shampton

Re: William & Viola Miller

Posted: 28 Jun 2010 5:17PM GMT
Hello, I am not related. You probably have the census info, but here it is anyway. Also, I found an obit for Viola. According to the obit, she was the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. henry Edwards, and she had a surviving brother Bert. Jessie is listed as a daughter in Viola's obit, even though the 1910 census list her as a granddaughter. The family lived in Colburn, Adams County, Wisconsin during the 1905 & 1910 census. I couldn't find any civil birth records in the Wisconsin pre 1907 birth index. You could try to find baptismal records for the children in the church they attended in Colburn. During the 1900 census, the family lived in Martell, Pierce County, Wisconsin. You could try to find church records there too.

Viola's obit also stated that she was born on March 7, 1862 in Spirit Lake, Wis., on March 7, 1862. Then on June 9, 1878, she married William in Spirit Lake. I did find a marriage record in the Wisconsin pre 1907 marriage index for the following person, but I did not find a match for a husband in the index. But I would think by looking at the actual record, a husband would be listed. This date is only off by 2 days from the date in the obit.

Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907

Name: Vetta A Edwards
Marriage Date: 7 Jun 1878
County: Monroe
Volume: 02
Page: 0238
-------------
Home in 1900: Martell, Pierce, Wisconsin

W R Miller, head, age 42, married 21 years, born Decbr 1858 Missouri, father born Germany, mother born Pennsylvania

Viola Miller, wife, age 38, married 21 years, 9 children, 7 living, born March 1862 Wisconsin, father born Mischgan, mother born Pennsylvania

Ethel Miller, age 16, born March 1884 Wisconsin (Dau)

Lyeman Miller, age 12, born Decbr 1887 Wisconsin (Son)

Winnie Miller, age 10, born Nov 1889 Wisconsin (Son)

Bihlae Miller, age 7, born Sep 1892 Wisconsin (Dau)

Livirie (Silvie) Miller, age 3, born Decb 1896 Wisconsin (Dau)

Lyle Miller, age 0 (10/12), born Nov 1899 Wisconsin (Dau)
-----------
Wisconsin State Censuses, 1905
Census Date: 1 Jun 1905
Residence County: Adams
Residence State: Wisconsin
Locality: Colburn

William R Miller, head, age 48, born Tennessee, father born Germany, mother born NY or NJ

Viola Miller, wife, age 43, born Wisconsin, father born England, mother born Vermont

Ethel J Miller, age 21, born South Dakota (Dau)
Lyman H Miller, age 18, born Wisconsin (Son)
Winne L Miller, age 16, born Wisconsin (Son)
Bertha L Miller, age 12, born Wisconsin (Dau)
Sylvia J Miller, age 10, born Wisconsin (Dau)
Lyle H Miller, age 6, born Wisconsin
----------
1910 United States Federal Census
Home in 1910: Colburn, Adams, Wisconsin

William R Miller, head, age 54, born Kansas, father born Germany, mother born United States

Viala Miller, wife, age 48, born Wisconsin, father born England, mother born Vermont

Lyman Miller, son, age 23
Winnie Miller, son, age 20
Bertha Miller, daughter, age 17
Sylva Miller, daughter, age 14
Lyle Miller, daughter, age 11
Jessie Miller, granddaughter, age 4
----------
1920 United States Federal Census
Home in 1920: Pelican, Oneida, Wisconsin

William R Miller, head, age 58, born Kansas, father born Germany, mother born United States

Viola Miller, wife, age 58, born Wisconsin, father born England, mother born Vermont

Winnie Miller, son, age 31
Lyle Miller, daughter, age 21
Jessie Miller, daughter, age 13
Pansy Miller, daughter, age 2[2 5/12]
----------
Rhinelander Daily News, The | Rhinelander, Wisconsin | Monday, May 09, 1932 | Page 3 | Column 4

MRS. VIOLA MILLER IS CALLED BY DEATH

Formerly Lived in Rhinelander; Body Being Brought Here for Services

Word was received here over the week-end of the death of Mrs. Viola Miller, former Rhinelander resident. Mrs. Miller passed away on Saturday evening at the home of her daughter, Mrs. William Button, who lives in Hancock.
Mrs. Miller made her home in Rhinelander for may years, but left here last summer to go to Hancock to live. her husband, William Miller, passed away here four years ago.
Born in Spirit lake, Wis., Mrs. Miller was 70 years old last March 7.
The body is being brought to Rhinelander today in the Carlson ambulance, and funeral services will be held later. members of the family will announce arrangements.
---------
Rhinelander Daily News, The | Rhinelander, Wisconsin | Tuesday, May 10, 1932 | Page 2 | Column 5

SERVICES HELD TODAY FOR FORMER RESIDENT

Rev. H.C. Spear Conducts Funeral Rites for Mrs. Viola Edwards Miller.

Funeral services were being conducted this afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Carlson chapel for the late Mrs. William Miller, who died in Hancock on Saturday. The Rev. H.C. Spear was to have charge of services, and interment will be in Forest Home cemetery. Pallbearers will be M. Russ, james kafka, Joseph Minneau, William Cogan, Lloyd Oakley and Martin Oakes.
Viola Edwards, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Edwards, was born in Spirit Lake, Wis., on March 7, 1862. On June 9, 1878, she was married to William Miller in Spirit Lake. Rhinelander had been the Miller home since 1917. Mr. Miller passed away four years ago, and a few months ago, Mrs. Miller went to hancock to live with her daughter.
She is survived by eight children, Lyman Miller and Mrs. William Button of Hancock, Mrs. Ray Lowell of Nekoosa, Mrs. Axel Melau, Mrs. Winnie Miller, Mrs. Guy Peevy and Mrs. Emil Zettler, all of Rhinelander. Bert Edwards of Kansas, a brother, and 21 grandchildren and one great grandchild also survive.
----------
This could be Viola with her husband, in Dakota Territory in 1880. The next family listed on the census page could be Viola's parent's & brother Bert...

1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Viola Miller
Home in 1880: Davison, Dakota Territory
Estimated birth year: abt 1861
Birthplace: Wisconsin
Relation to Head of Household: Wife
Spouse's name: William R.
Father's birthplace: New York
Mother's birthplace: New York
Neighbors: View others on page
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Cannot read/write:
Blind:
Deaf and dumb:
Otherwise disabled:
Idiotic or insane: View image
Household Members: Name Age

William R. Miller, age 23
Viola Miller, age 19

NEXT FAMILY.......

1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Henry S. Edwards
Home in 1880: Davison, Dakota Territory
Estimated birth year: abt 1831
Birthplace: New York
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Spouse's name: Susan
Father's birthplace: New York
Mother's birthplace: New York
Neighbors: View others on page
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Cannot read/write:
Blind:
Deaf and dumb:
Otherwise disabled:
Idiotic or insane: View image
Household Members: Name Age
Henry S. Edwards, age 49
Susan Edwards, age 39
Berton E. Edwards, age 12 (born Wisconsin)
----------
Then I found Viola's daughter, Ethel's obit & marriage date...

Rhinelander Daily News, The | Rhinelander, Wisconsin | Saturday, February 20, 1960 | Page 2 | Columns 6 & 7

Mrs. Ethel Melau Succumbs; Rites Set for Monday

Mrs. Ethel I. (or T.) Melau, 75, 1327 River St., died at 9:15 a.m. Friday in St. mary's Hospital. She had been ill for the past two weeks.
A native of Fargo, N. Dak., where she was born April 3, 1884, she moved to River Falls, Wis., while a girl. She was married to Axel Melau Feb. 27, 1907 in Wild Rose, and they made their home there until 1926.
The couple came to Rhinelander that year to purchase the former Jake Cihia farm in the Town of Pelican, renaming it Clear Well Farm. For a number of years thereafter the Melaus operated a dairy and water route in the local area. Mr. Melau succumbed in 1950, and a son, Carl, and daughter, Olive, also preceded her in death.
Surviving are two sons, George of Rhinelander, and Russell of Norwalk, Calif.; 10 grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; three sisters, Mrs. Guy (Sylvia) Peevy and Mrs. Emil (Jessie) Zettler, Rhinelander, and Mrs. Ray (Lyle) Lowell, Nekoosa, and two brothers, Winnie Miller, Rhinelander, and Lyman Miller of Hancock, Wis.
Friends may call at the Carlson Funeral Home after 3 p.m. Sunday; funeral services will be conducted there at 2 p.m. Monday by Rev. Willard Spence. Interment will be in Forest Home Cemetery.
----------
Rhinelander Daily News, The | Rhinelander, Wisconsin | Saturday, February 27, 1960 | Page 5 | Column 7 & 8

CARD OF THANKS

We wish to thank our friends and neighbors for their kindness ans sympathy, and for the beautiful floral tributes received, in the loss of our mother, grandmother and sister, Ethel Melau. We want to express our deepest appreciation to Rev. Spence, the singer, the pallbearers, the Carlson Funeral Home, those who donated the use of their cars, and to the ladies of the Rebekahs for a lovely dinner and lunch. All these many kindnesses are deeply appreciated.

MR. & MRS. GEORGE MELAU & FAMILY
MR. & MRS. RUSSELL MELAU & FAMILY
KEITH GILLEN
MR. & MRS. WINNIE MILLER & FAMILY
MR. & MRS. GUY PEEVY
MR. & MRS. EMIL ZETTLER & FAMILY
MR. & MRS. LYMAN MILLER & FAMILY
MR. & MRS. RAY LOWELL & FAMILY
----------
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/vitalrecords/

Name Type Date County

Melan, Axel Marriage Feb 27 1907 Portage Details
Miller, Ethel I Marriage Feb 27 1907 Portage Details
--------
Then I found this....

http://www.wigenweb.org/oneida/roi/obit24m.html

Miller, William R. August 03, 1928 RDN

Miller, Winnie L. June 18, 1966 RDN

Peevy, Sylvia I. October 26, 1983 RDN
Peevy, Sylvia Irene October 30, 1983 OT

Zettler, Jessie June 16, 1991 OT
Zettler, Jessie June 10 and 11, 1991 RDN
----------
http://www.wigenweb.org/oneida/cemetery/forest3.pdf

Forest Home Cemetery Index 1919-1936

First Name M.I. Last Name Date of Death

Mrs. Viola Miller 1932 May 8
---------
http://www.wigenweb.org/oneida/cemetery/forest3a.pdf

# 127

Mrs. Viola Miller, born Spirit Lake, Wi., died Rhinelander, no age, died 1932 May 8, cause Apoplexy, buried 1932 May 10, Block 15, Lot 37, Informant, W-Miller, son

Posted: 4 Jul 2010 4:02PM GMT
WOW! Thank you so much!

Posted: 25 Nov 2011 12:57AM GMT
Surnames: Zettler
William and Viola is Jesse Miller Parents
Emil Zettler and Jesse Miller is Marvin Zettler Paerents
Marvin Zettler and Mina Walker is Kenneth Zettler
Kenneth is my father.

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 8:35PM GMT
Surnames: Miller, Melau
Hi Kenneth! Nice to "meet" you. I have discovered that Jesse Miller was actually the daughter of Ethel Miller Melau. I am trying to find out who her father was. If you find anything out, please let me know! Thanks!
Robin

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 8:37PM GMT
Please email me at isjust4robin@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions