Search for content in message boards

Donnybrook Catholic Churches

Donnybrook Catholic Churches

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 1:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: KEEGAN, McDermott, O'Connor
Hi

Could somebody please tell me the name of the church that would have served the area of Ballsbridge Avenue (formerly Keegan's Lane)in Donnybrook?

Also, how to access the records of this church, please.

Thank you, in advance, for taking the time to respond.

Jan x

PS Has the name of Ballsbridge Avenue now changed? It was in the electoral district of Pembroke East (1939/40)

Re: Donnybrook Catholic Churches

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 8:27PM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2012 9:01PM GMT
The name of the parish and availability of records depends on the dates involved... parishes and churches changed over the years.

St. Mary's (name of the church & parish) is the current parish church in Donnybrook. Note there are other parishes and churches in Dublin city & county named St. Mary's.

Historic records for most Catholic parishes are available in the National Library. These cover up to about 1880. For more recent records you have to write to or phone the church to see if they are in a position to search for you (sometimes there's a fee involved).

For more recent records it might be simpler to search civil records. A BMD index is available on FamilySearch which covers up to 1958 for the 26 counties. Birth records after the late 1920s include mother's maiden surname which can help find possible matches for children as long as the surnames are not too common.

Ballsbridge Ave. is still there - it's located to the north of Merrion Road near the River Dodder, at Ball's Bridge.

S.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 10:24PM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2012 10:25PM GMT
Surnames: KEEGAN, McDermott, O'Connor
Thank you Shane for your response. I was hoping that it would be simpler :\ I have tried the BMD link that you gave me with no joy *shrugs*

Thank you for the current name of the church/parish ... and for confirming that Ballsbridge Avenue is still there.

Jan x

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 12:19AM GMT
This link to Donnybrook church/es might help http://www.dublindiocese.ie/guidebook/parish/74. To phone Dublin from abroad, the prefix is 00-353-1 (followed by the 7 digit number).
Good luck!
Colette

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 2:18PM GMT
Thank you, Colette ;)

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:58PM GMT
Surnames: Keegan
Hi Janet,
I was doing some research on Keegans Lane in Ballsbridge and came across your queries. In terms of churches, Sacred Heart in Donnybrook I think was the official parish church. However many baptisms etc took place in St Mary's on Haddington Road and my Dad's family (also from Ballsbridge Ave, similar timeframe) were mostly baptised in St Andrew's on Westland Row, close to Holles Street maternity hospital. It's possible too that local marriages may have happened in Ringsend or Star of the Sea in Sandymount depending on where the bride was living beforehand. They are all in a small enough area.

I just called him to ask about Keegans in Ballsbridge in the 30's and 40's and he says there were two families he knows of. One with a child called Peadar (Irish form of Peter) in Dodder View Cottages around the corner from Ballsbridge Ave. He subsequently went to the UK and was in the RAF.

The second was the Superintendant of Herbert Park, and that family lived in the Park-keepers Lodge. A son of theirs Barry Keegan went on to become an actor in the UK on the 1950's and would have done a bit of TV work which you might be able to check out?

There is a book by Hugh Oram called Ballsbridge Then and Now and there are a few pics of the Pembroke Fire Station c. 1902.

I hope this is of some use.

Ursula

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 10:09PM GMT
Hi Janet, as you didn't mention the years you were looking for, you might find your ancestors on this web site.....

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

Copy and paste the address into your search bar and when the page opens enter details of who you are looking for in the " Search Church Records " on the left of the page, and enter Dublin in the location box.

If you don't get any results then omit the Christian Name and only search for the Surname.

Good Luck Janet.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 7:28AM GMT
Surnames: KEEGAN, O'Connor
Hello Ursula :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my query. It is very much appreciated.

My grandfather, Thomas Keegan is listed s living at: 11 Keegan's Lans in the 1901 & 1911 Census.

By 1916, they are listed as living at: 10 Keegan's Lane (Eldest son's war records - died @ Battle of The Somme)

My feeling is that my grandfather died circa 1932. He is certainly not listed in the 1939/40 Electoral Register.

My grandmother is listed as being born in Laois (Pretty sure it was Mountmellick) Where she got married from, I don't know, as she could have been in service in Dublin?

My grandfather is listed as being born in Westmeath. (Think there was a family farm down there. Once I found a reference, but didn't note it and haven't been able to find it since! >.< )

My grandfather is listed as a fireman/stoker in the 1901 & 1911 census. So, I assume he worked for British Rail. I tried to make a start on finding BR records, but must confess that I got totally lost. So, confused about how to progress his service records.

My grandmother - Mary Anne (neé McDermott)- lived at 10 Ballsbridge Avenue, until her death (1957). She lived with her daughter (and I assume her daughter's husband ?) Her daughter's name was Bridget (Biddy) O'Connor (neé Keegan). She is listed in the 1939/40 Electoral Register.

I understood that Bridget (Biddy) O'Connor (neé Keegan) was living at 10 Ballsbridge Ave (Keegan's Lane) with her son, until very recently. I looked at the houses via Google Earth. 11 Ballsbridge Avenue was renovated, but I was bitterly disappointed to see that 10 Ballsbridge Ave looked unoccupied and dilapidated. Given that Google Earth is two (?) years out of date, I don't know what the current state of number 10 is...

My father, Patrick Keegan was born into, 11 Keegan's Lane (Ballsbridge Ave, as is) in 1905. He married, I would assume in the early 1920s, but I don't know and that is one of the things I need to find out.

Of my father's siblings, the eldest - John, died in WWI (1916). Bridget lived with her mother at 10 Ballsbridge Ave. I have pictures of my Dad with another sister, when they were adults. I assume this sister is, Mary-Anne Keegan, due to the age. I don't know this for sure though. Nor do I know Mary-Anne's married name.

There are three siblings that I cannot find light, nor sign of. They are my father's older siblings - Margaret, Bernard and Thomas. Stories were handed down that he 'lost' one brother in Australia, but the truth of that,I don't know.

It is my sense that at least one of the elder siblings went to the North West of England, as I think my father followed family there. I 'think' Margaret might have ended up in Liverpool ? All of it is pure guesswork, though.

Apart from wanting to find out more about my father's family, I have half-siblings that I am anxious to trace. To do that I need to find the details of my father's first marriage. On the latter issue, I find myself clutching at straws *sigh*

So Ursula, if you have any relevant information relating to my family, I should be most eager and pleased to hear back from you. Feel free to message me and I shall give you my email address.

Thanks again,

Jan x

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 7:30AM GMT
Hi dublinbound!

Thank you very much for the link. I am looking now!

Jan x

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 10:51PM GMT
Hi Janet,
I'm fairly sure my dad or some of his siblings will know the family as he lived in number 3 from 1936 until c.1950 when the family moved. His grandparents are listed as living in the same house in the 1901 and 1911 census also.
I'll print this off and show him and it may jog a memory.
If you could send me your e-mail addressthat would be great. I will reply separately as I'm not on ancestry.com that often, I only happened upon your enquiry by chance.

Will let you know when I've spoken to him,
Ursula
per page

Find a board about a specific topic