Search for content in message boards

David Archer - b. 1866

David Archer - b. 1866

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 1:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ARCHER
Looking for other researchers of the Archer family in Dublin.

David archer was born May 1, 1866 at 2 Kelly Court, Lower Grange, Dublin. He was baptized May 10, 1866 at St. Paul's Parish, Dublin, by Louis C. Reichardt, Curate of St. Paul's. His parents were David Archer [Sr.], and Bridget Archer. David's father was a carpenter.

David eventually immigrated to the U.S., settling in New York, and later in New Jersey. He married Julia Buckley, also of Dublin, after settling in N.Y.

Would like to find the parent's marriage or death records. Also any other connections.

Thank you, Jon

Re: David Archer - b. 1866

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 2:31AM GMT
Dublin City church records: www.irishgenealogy.ie

These are the only Dublin City records on line and this website is free. Both North and South County Dublin have their own genealogy offices and both are members of an Irish
History Foundation.

There are still quite a few Archer's still living in Dublin City. The area code now used may help you find Archer's living in the same general area.

In 1854 Griffith Valuation for Dublin City, there is
a William Archer living in St. Paul's Parish.
Marriages usually occur in the wife's parish and sometimes first children were born and baptised in her (Bridget) mother's parish because mother's went home to have their babies.

CD of Civil registration from Latter Day Saints. Civil Registration began in 1864. I found no match for a David Archer born in Dublin nor a David with a father David.
These records obviously have errors as you have details of the baptism. They were transcribed by Latter Day St.students. I was hoping for a record so you would know Bridget's maiden name.

No record of a David Archer as a carpenter in the Directories for Ireland but only heads of businesses would be listed.

1901 Ireland Census: (possible)
15 Prussia Street (Arran Quay, Dublin)
Bridget Archer, 69 head of household, born Kildare, Widow
Robert 49 son,unmarried, Asst. Postal Inspector, born Dublin
Charles 31 son, Widow, Postman, born Dublin
Geraldine 3, grandaughter, born Dublin

In 1882 David Archer born 1866 Queen St. Dublin
living 2 Temple Lane
Grangegorman Prison for Assault

Only Julia Buckley, Dublin born 1871 and the date should be 1868. There are 4 Julia Buckleys born 1868 in Cork, Ireland.

If David and Julia are following the naming pattern for males her father should be named James. I didn't find any between 1864 & 1875 in Ireland, but if born Dublin City
the only records are www.irishgenealogy.ie

Dublin is also a Civil Registration District which could extend to 12 mile radius and perhaps into other counties, containing Parish's, towns/villages.

2-Kelly's Court, off Grangegorman St. St. Paul's Arran-Quay
from a Dublin Street Directory 1862.

Annette Code

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 2:32AM GMT
Dublin City church records: www.irishgenealogy.ie

These are the only Dublin City records on line and this website is free. Both North and South County Dublin have their own genealogy offices and both are members of an Irish
History Foundation.

There are still quite a few Archer's still living in Dublin City. The area code now used may help you find Archer's living in the same general area.

In 1854 Griffith Valuation for Dublin City, there is
a William Archer living in St. Paul's Parish.
Marriages usually occur in the wife's parish and sometimes first children were born and baptised in her (Bridget) mother's parish because mother's went home to have their babies.

CD of Civil registration from Latter Day Saints. Civil Registration began in 1864. I found no match for a David Archer born in Dublin nor a David with a father David.
These records obviously have errors as you have details of the baptism. They were transcribed by Latter Day St.students. I was hoping for a record so you would know Bridget's maiden name.

No record of a David Archer as a carpenter in the Directories for Ireland but only heads of businesses would be listed.

1901 Ireland Census: (possible)
15 Prussia Street (Arran Quay, Dublin)
Bridget Archer, 69 head of household, born Kildare, Widow
Robert 49 son,unmarried, Asst. Postal Inspector, born Dublin
Charles 31 son, Widow, Postman, born Dublin
Geraldine 3, grandaughter, born Dublin

In 1882 David Archer born 1866 Queen St. Dublin
living 2 Temple Lane
Grangegorman Prison for Assault

Only Julia Buckley, Dublin born 1871 and the date should be 1868. There are 4 Julia Buckleys born 1868 in Cork, Ireland.

If David and Julia are following the naming pattern for males her father should be named James. I didn't find any between 1864 & 1875 in Ireland, but if born Dublin City
the only records are www.irishgenealogy.ie

Dublin is also a Civil Registration District which could extend to 12 mile radius and perhaps into other counties, containing Parish's, towns/villages.

2-Kelly's Court, off Grangegorman St. St. Paul's Arran-Quay
from a Dublin Street Directory 1862.

Annette Code

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 3:10AM GMT
Thank you Annette. I found the baptism of David through the Dublin City church records: www.irishgenealogy.ie

I also found the baptism for Jilia Buckley through Ancestry.com.

I was hoping to find some earlier family records, but have not come across anything yet. Also, I have not found and siblings for David. This research is for my sister and brother-in-law, as he is an Archer. I have a clear paper trail from Ireland to the present day, but I have not found a beginning of the trail earlier than the baptism of David.

Kind regards,

Jon

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 7:01PM GMT
Hi
I wonder if this is the baptism of "your" David Archer - city of birth is correct, DOB is only out by 1 day, and parents are David Archer & Bridget Madden?

Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911 (from ancestry.com)
Name: Archer
Birth Date: 30 Apr 1866
Birth Place: Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Father's Name: David Archer
Mother's Name: Bridget Madden
FHL Film Number: 101126

Couldn't find a marriage for David & Bridget, though.

Happy hunting!
Colette

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 9:10PM GMT
Surnames: Archer, Madden
Hello Collette,

Yes, this is the correct David Archer. I haven't looked at the film, as the index may have a slight error, but I believe that the film is of the same document that I have a copy of from Ireland, which is from the official baptism registry.

It is David and Bridget that I am looking for more information about. There must be a marriage document somewhere. Also, I have not found any siblings to their son David, so this would be something to look for as well.

Thank you,

Jon

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 10:05PM GMT
Didn't realise you already has Bridget's maiden name!

Here's another birth for the couple:

Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911 Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911
Birth Date: 27 Jan 1869
Birth Place: 2 North City, Dub, Ireland
Baptism Place: 2 North City, Dub, Ireland
Mother's name: Bridget Madden
FHL Film Number: 101181

And possibly this too: (mother ELIZA MADDEN, but father/area correct)

Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911 Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911
Birth Date: 19 Jul 1871
Birth Place: 2 North City, Dub, Ireland
Baptism Place: 2 North City, Dub, Ireland
Mother's name: Eliza Madden
FHL Film Number: 255827

Good luck.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 10:41PM GMT
Thank you very much. Too bad that there is not another male in the family. That would increase the chances that an Archer from the same family with the Archer surname might still be living in Ireland.

Kind regards,

Jon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic