Search for content in message boards

Help with translation

Help with translation

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 5:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Could someone please help me with a translation for: "prislusnik Kobri Kamenozbozi" It is the father's information written on a birth certificate. On the same birth certificate is also written "pul sedlaka" (grandfather's information). Thank you.

Re: Help with translation

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 11:17PM GMT
Příslušný k obci Kamenné Zboží = belonging to Kamenné Zboží village
Půlsedlák = Halblahner = a farmer owning one half of lahn of agricultural land.
k.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 1:13AM GMT
The village of Kamenne Zboz'i is located a mile or so west of the town of Nymburk, which is about 20 miles east of Prague.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 3:37AM GMT
On the certificate it says: Josef Pokorny, domkar v Radouni c.6, prislusnik K obci Kamenozbozi, syn Josefa Pokorneho, pulsedlaka v Krchlebich c.46 etc. Would that mean that he came from Kamenne Zbozi, was a cottager in Radoun and his father was a farmer in Krchleby? Thank you for your help! E.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 3:47AM GMT
Thank you for your help! I'll look it up. E.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 3:58AM GMT
I'm not an expert, as these folks have often helped me. But it looks to me like you have it figured out. The best part is the house number of father and grandfather. This will make it easy for you to continue tracing back, as they probably lived in the same house, since they were farmers.

Also, note that "syn Josefa Pokorneho" means "son of Josef Pokorny". The ending on the name changes depending on the case. In English, "of" would be possessive; in Czech it's called genitive. We also have direct objects (accusative) and indirect objects (dative), locative (from some place, like Radoun / Radouni) and vocative (calling someone -- not something you'd find in a baptismal record). There can be a different ending for each of these, indicating the preposition that we say in English. So when the word seems to have extra letters, just remove a few to get to the nominative version of the word.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 4:24AM GMT
Thank you, I'm slowly learning :). I really appreciate everyones help! E.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 3:17PM GMT

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 9:01PM GMT
Thank you very very much!! I knew about the www.mapy.cz site, but didn't know that you could get historical maps, so after playing around with the site to see how you got them I have now figured it out! It is so cool! Thanks again. E.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions