Search for content in message boards

Town of Elhoric Bohemia

Town of Elhoric Bohemia

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 4:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Maris, Mares, Kveton
I am researching my great Grandmother, Minnie Maris or Mares. Her maiden name was Kveton and lists a town by the name of Elhoric Bohemia. Has anyone ever heard of it? She immigrated to the US around 1842

Re: Town of Elhoric Bohemia

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 2:14PM GMT
gforce4225

Is this location hand written on a document? If yes, can you attach a scan of it. Were the KVETON and MARES ancestors married in America or old country?

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 7:20PM GMT
Hi.
It seems your ELHORIC will be certainly Elhoten = Chodska Lhota in Domazlice district in southwest Bohemia. There lived and still are living families Kveton and probably also Mares there. Kveton from Chodska Lhota is distant relative to my wife.
The emigration to USA before 1850 is unprobable. I mean it can be first on 1852.

All the best.Tony.

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 1:22AM GMT
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the information. That is a great help. We are traveling to CZ in September and want to stop in these towns. Is your wife's family from the Chicago area. All of my family settled in the Chicago, Cicero, and Berwyn area.

Thanks again,
Gale

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 2:29AM GMT
Hi Zlatica,

I think Tony could be on to something. I have attached the death index and the 1900 census that shows her. Since she immigrated in 1891, I cannot check the Ellis Island records which start in 1892. I know the hand written notes are often wrong as the person taking the information may not have spoken the language or did not understand correctly, so you are right to take it with a grain of salt.

Gale

Attachments:

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 2:31AM GMT
This did not attached the first time.
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 12:35PM GMT
Hi Gale.

I mean it will be best to prepare your visit in Chodska Lhota before your arrival. There lived lot of families Kveton there. It will be best to know some exact about your ancestors before the trip.

All the best. Tony.

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 9:57PM GMT
Hi Tony,

Do you know far it is from Cesky Krumlov to Chodska Lhota. We will be driving and would like to estimate how much time it will take to get there.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Gale

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 6:35PM GMT
Hi Gale

It is about 200-250 km. It is possible to take it in 3-4 hours. Unfortunately it is not highway between them.

Do you want to prepare your visit in Chodska Lhota?
Contact me directly to address: a.kondrys(et)volny.cz

All the best.
Tony.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions