Search for content in message boards

George Thomas Butler - b. abt. 1840

George Thomas Butler - b. abt. 1840

Posted: 30 May 2013 5:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 May 2013 12:28PM GMT
Has anyone run into George Thomas Butler b. ABT 1840 he married Nancy Jewell Ensey O5 Feb 1879 in Coffee Co, TN
have not been able to find his father or mother any help would be helpfull to me

Re: George Thomas Butler - b. abt. 1840

Posted: 2 Jun 2013 2:13PM GMT
Surnames: Butler
Hi, did you get the reply I sent the other day about this? If not, will try to recover it.

I tried to go back but your first post was deleted -- I guess when it was edited?

Anyway, found some info while looking around, will try to resend.

Re: George Thomas Butler - b. abt. 1840

Posted: 2 Jun 2013 2:19PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jun 2013 2:22PM GMT
Surnames: Butler
Was able to find this reply I made the other day to your first post.

Maybe this will help, it might be a clue:

I looked for his George's wife's family, and it looks like her father's name was Elijah Ensey, because i found a Nancy J. Ensey of the right age with Elijah as a father in an earlier census (I think it was the 1860, but didn't bookmark that).

And then found George and Nancy with dau Priscilla in the 1880. He was a bit younger than you thought, he was born about 1858-1859, but because he's with the correct wife, this seems to be him, from what the record looks like at least. I'll let you decide for sure, but the wife's name was Nancy (and they were living near her family, the Elijah Enseys).

Then I happened to check on Butlers in Coffee Tenn in the 1880 census, on this original census page:
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=...

Came across a Peter Butler on the page linked above, and on the same page is Elijah Ensey in 1880 with his wife, and on the very next page of the census is George Butler with his wife Nancy J. and dau Priscilla.

So a pretty good clue, because people would often live near their relatives then. They were all recorded very close to each other in the 1880. There was even an older George Butler also, probably Peter's father or uncle, who was 72 or so, right by Peter and his family.

Maybe it will help. You should make certain these are yours though, you may need to do some cross checking on it all. But at least it's somewhere to start.

**See below for some copy and paste from the transcriptions.**

Regards,
Mary

This is the 1880 transcription for Peter and family, same page as the Elijah Ensey family and on next page is George and Nancy (Ensey).
1880 United States Federal Census about Peter T. Butler

Name: Peter T. Butler
Birth Year: abt 1829
Birthplace: Tennessee
Home in 1880: District 6, Coffee, Tennessee
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Mary J. Butler
Father's Birthplace: Tennessee
Mother's Birthplace: Tennessee
Neighbors: View others on page
Name Age
Peter T. Butler 51
Mary J. Butler 49
John C. Butler 27
Dilla Butler 14
William Butler 12
Michael Butler 10
Mary Butler 6

In the 1870, Peter's wife (and also in 1860) was named Nancy, but by the above 1880 it was Mary J, maybe a mistake? or who knows if Nancy died? They were living someplace else in this census in 1870, not Coffee.

Also note that the Butler name was transcribed incorrectly as you can see below, but someone came along and corrected the whole family to Butler, which if you look at the original it is:

1870 United States Federal Census about P Bertles

Name: P Bertles
[P Butler]
Age in 1870: 40
Birth Year: abt 1830
Birthplace: Tennessee
Home in 1870: District 2, Bedford, Tennessee
Race: White
Post Office: Shelbyville
Household Members:
Name Age
P Bertles 40
Nancy Bertles 38
John Bertles 17
Lucy M Bertles 14
George Bertles 12
Peter P Bertles 10
Martha J Bertles 8
William Bertles 3

And when you look at the 1860 for the above Peter and family, George was only 4 months old, so his age holds up for the subsequent years.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions