Search for content in message boards

Koppenhafers of Syracuse, NY

Koppenhafers of Syracuse, NY

Eric Carlson (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2002 6:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Koppenhafer,Bleem,Geis,Simmons,Collins,Vaughn,Hoffman
This is a shot in the dark, but I'm looking for anyone connected to the family or descendants of Daniel (1847-1912) and Mary Bleem Koppenhafer (1853-1939) from Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York. Their chldren are William Daniel (married Matilda "Tillie" Geis), Mary (married Louis Simmons), Katherine (married George Collins), and Daniel V. (married Mary Vaughn). They may also have adopted Mary Bleem's nephew, John Hoffman. Daniel Koppenhafer was a cabinet maker and saloon keeper and both he and his wife were born in Germany.

Re: Koppenhafers of Syracuse, NY

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 8:36PM GMT
In the 1920 census New York State Onondaga Co. City of Syracuse I found:
Koppenhafer, William 46 Fireman
Matilda wife 38
William D. son 15
Carl son 12
Ruth dau 5
Geis, Mary sister-in-law 23

Then next door lived:
Koppenhafer, Daniel 28 Lawyer
Mary V. wife 26
----------------------- dau 1.5 years (The name could not be read).
Koppenhafer, Mary A. mother 66.

Hope it helps.

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 8:44PM GMT
Also in the 1920 I found:
Collins, George 39 Millwright
Katherine wife 37
Helen dau 14.

Posted: 22 Aug 2002 11:40PM GMT
well i dont know were to start,yes from syracuse, my father carl koppenhafer,i rember all the people that was listed,

Posted: 28 Jun 2003 3:27PM GMT
I have Koppenhoefer's in my family tree dating back to about 1705 (Johann Jakob) in Frankenstein, including your grandfather. I immigrated to the US from the neighboring village of Weidenthal (my ancestors are from Frankenstein also), and have been involved in genealogy for +25 years. I have an extensive family tree (+38,000 and counting) covering the general area of Frankenstein, as well as an extensive library of village history books and family books. Unfortunately Frankenstein doesn't have a history book yet, but the district seat in the neighboring village of Hochspeyer does.

Although I'm not directly related to the Koppenhoefer's, I have at least 3 Burckhardt relatives from Frankenstein that married Koppenhoefer's. As I'm a bit nuts when it comes to genealogy, I'm always interested in adding relations to my family tree. I'd be happy to exchange information with you. Having found your message, I found it very interesting that the spelling changed to Koppenhafer in the US (in German, Koppenhafer doesn't sound anything like Koppenhoefer). I am also directly related to the Nabinger family (saw your message on that family also)

Eric Carlson (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2003 6:00AM GMT
Surnames: Koppenhoefer,Koppenhafer,Mueller
I would certainly be happy to exchange information. It is my wife and daughter and her father who are the Koppenhoefer descendants. They are also Nabinger descendants through Anna Maria Mueller who was married to Johann Jacob Koppenhoefer. They and their children immigrated to Syracuse separately about 1865 and 1866.

My father-in-law is interested in what reasons or what the conditions were in Frankenstein at that time which might have caused the family to emigrate to the United States. Perhaps you know more about the history there to be able to say. His great-grandfather, Daniel Koppenhafer, was in Rhine Pfalze Verein in Syracuse. Daniel was not quite 18 years old when he arrived in America.

Posted: 29 Jun 2003 10:34PM GMT
Anna Maria Muller's grandmother was Anna Elisabeth Nabinger. I don't have any connection between Anna Elisabeth and the other Nabinger's in the area. Has one been found and verified?

Looking through the history books, I don't see anything right off that would have caused them to immigrate (war, famine, etc.) in 1865/1866. There was a civil uprising in the Pfalz known as the "Hambacher Fest" in 1832. There were reprecussions for the citizins afterwards where the Bavarian government repressed people and apprehended some. I don't know if this lasted into the 1860's though. In general, people immigrated in the 19th century for political reasons and for work.

My email is RDBBRD@aol.com.

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 10:55AM GMT
Correction, Anna Elisabeth Nabinger was Anna Maria Mueller's grandmother on her father's side. AOL was having problems last night and wouldn't let me log onto this site to make the correction.

Posted: 4 Nov 2004 6:10PM GMT
I am a Koppenhoefer and am looking for family ties and possible relatives ,I beleive the spelling of the name has been changed when entering the U.S. but we are all related somehow.

Rolf-Dieter Burckhardt (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2004 4:52PM GMT
I specialize in German Genealogy and all of the records that I have in my family tree pertain to Koppenhoefer's in the Rheinland-Palatinate. Once I get all of my data transferred to my new computer, I'll take a look to see if any of them immigrated to the U.S. Koppenhoefer is the most common spelling in the area (with or without the 'e', in which case the 'e' is replaced by an Umlaut).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions