Search for content in message boards

Henry DOYLE - watchmaker - possibly from Dublin or Belfast

Henry DOYLE - watchmaker - possibly from Dublin or Belfast

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 2:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DOYLE, GALBRAITHE, ROBINET
I am looking for anyone that might know or have a connection to the DOYLE family, possibly of Dublin or Belfast.

I am looking for information on a Henry DOYLE (he was a watchmaker) and his family. I know he had one daughter Emily Jane, born March 23, 1833. Emily was my 2x great grandmother. I have very little information to help identify them. I have heard that Emily was born in Belfast but the 1901 census has her born in Dublin. Other than the fact that Henry was a watchmaker I know nothing about him. Emily married Charles ROBINET in 1867, (Castlemacadam, County Wicklow). In the family there is mention of a Margaret DOYLE, so, I don’t know if that might have been Henry’s wife or maybe a sister to Emily... But, there again, that is all I have about Margaret, just a mention of the name. I do have copies of the marriage for Emily and Charles and I have a copy of Emily’s death in 1907. I also have the names of who appear to be very close friends of Emily’s in Dublin. Their names were Charlotte GALBRAITHE, Rose GALBRAITHE and Anna Maria GALBRAITHE (they appear to be sisters) all of 23 Waterloo Rd, Dublin. I have obtained their names through some medical records. It is from these certificates, medical records and some family stories that I have the scant information listed above.

Thank you for any guidance/help anyone may be able to give to me locating the Henry DOYLE family.

Sharon

Re: Henry DOYLE - watchmaker - possibly from Dublin or Belfast

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 2:15PM GMT
In a 1846 commercial directory under the listing of watch and clock maker.

Henry Doyle (clock) 43 Mill St. Belfast

No other information:

www.emeraldancestors.com free to view but pay for records

Also for Co. Antrim is an Irish History Foundation that
has parish records, a birth record for Emily should give her mother's name. You have a good birth year and you can search for Emily with father Henry (in all Ireland) or just Antrim. This website is a not for profit History Foundation but fee's are charged.

Looking at the Parish records there aren't a lot that go back far enough to get a birth record for Henry but you might be lucky with a marriage record.

Annette Code

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 4:04PM GMT
Hi Annette,

Thank you so much. I went to the emerald ancestors site but couldn't find any mention of the directory you mention. But, if that is my Henry, he must still have been alive in 1846. Another clue..... :o}

I checked the site for a birth record for Emily but nothing. But the family might have been from Belfast but Emily might have been born in Dublin.... Or it could have been the other way around, the family was from Dublin and moved to Belfast.....

The other site you mention is that for all of Ireland? I can't remember the name of the site at the moment (I am at work) but if it is the one I am thinking of I believe I tried there for Emily's birth (and Henry's marriage as well). Hopefully, there is another site to check.

But thank you so much for this latest clue!!!!!!! Maybe I can try and research that address. Something might turn up from that.

Sharon

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 3:51PM GMT
The 1824 & 1846 Directories are on www.failteromhat.com
but the later ones comes from a program I have. I may have forgotten that part.

The bmd website I mentioned was 'rootsireland.ie' and it
is almost all Ireland, Carlow, Cork South-West, Clare and Kerry and Dublin City. All but Clare have church records on www.irishgenealogy.ie

Annette

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 8:20PM GMT
Hi Annette,

Thanks

You mentioned having some later directories? Is it possible to check and see in Henry is listed in any of them? If I can try and pinpoint a general time of death it might help me to find a death record for Henry Doyle.

So far I have had no luck with the marriage of Henry. Let's face it, Henry could have married anywhere and just settled in Belfast..... I guess I will have to start pulling every marriage record for a Henry Doyle around the time my great grandmother was born and just pray he was a watch/clockmaker when he married. Otherwise, I wouldn't know if I had the right Henry or not. :o(

Take care and thanks again,
Sharon

Posted: 18 Jul 2013 2:37PM GMT
My grandfathers step father was named Henry Doyle. I found him on 1901 census. I don't know if he was a watch maker, in 1901 he would have been 47 and married to Mary Doyle living with her and her son Patrick at 97 Francis Street. I've been told that he fought in the American Civil War and then returned to Ireland. I wish you the best of luck in your search. Henry and Mary Doyle may have moved to Scotland, my mother remember's visiting them when she was very young

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 4:10PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. Your Henry Doyle is much too young. My Henry would have had to have been born at least around 1810 making him about 91 in 1901. But, possible a relative. I know nothing about the family. Possibly my 2x great grandmother had siblings... I will keep your info in mind during my search.

Again thanks for your help,
Sharon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic